4.0 out of 5 stars Useful starting point
Again, I do have some words of Spanish from my schooldays so I guess the initial parts of the learning process were pretty basic and I enjoyed remembering some of the stuff from back then and other bits I have previously pieced together on my holidays in Spanish speaking countries.

The pack is really nicely put together including CDs and headphones and the...
Published 4 months ago by joojeh99

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to evaluate this product as a learning tool
Published 5 months ago by J. Yeow

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful starting point, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) Complete Course (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The pack is really nicely put together including CDs and headphones and the option (and recommendation) to join some interactive live classes. Being a bit shy I have not done this yet - thankfully apparently only you can see the tutor but they are unable to see you for these sessions. So effectively you get a mix of learning types which you can work through at your own pace.

I liked this pack as its useful for people who don't necessarily have the time to get to a regular class - and you still have the interactive element as part of it. Still in the early stages (I tend to be a bit slow on these, and I am learning alongside a family member who has been keen on learning for a while).

This would make a nice starter gift for someone who is wanting to get to conversational level of Spanish, and as this language is spoken in so many countries, definitely very useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to evaluate this product as a learning tool, 27 Oct 2013
J. Yeow "darkspark88" - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've wanted to try rosetta stone for a while, but the best trial you can get is from the website, which takes you through a series of pictures, where a word or phrase is spoken. With this you have to match to a picture in order to progress. Thinking there was a little more to it than this, I enthusiastically sought to try this item and Spanish, one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. Note, I'm an absolute beginner to Spanish, not knowing how to say anything more than "Hello","Thanks" and "Where is".

The software is on a CD, obviously for the type of user that doesn't have internet access, or wants to do the course offline. (There is an online version course than runs via the web browser). Once installed and activated, you're taken immediately into the learning experience. First off, it's interactive and fun. You see and hear a phrase which might be a man eating, then are shown a series of pictures and you need to click the right one. Slowly, as you progress you are given pictures that keep familiar words, e.g. man, but with that person doing a different activity, e.g. running instead of eating. You aren't given any tutorial on nouns, verbs or tense, you just have to link a previous exercise where you read a girl running, to this one. And here lies one of the first pitfalls. Where the lessons start increasing in difficulty, I found myself selecting the most likely answer based on the words I recognised. It's essentially like a multi-choice 3 part question. If you can recognise 2/3 of the main verbs/nouns, you're likely to get the answer correct. So you are left wondering what certain parts of the sentence mean. There is a reward incentive going on, and this appears as the risk of ensuring you understand what's actually going on in the sentence. I liken it to being taught like a child being told about the dangers of not eating vegetables, but all you take away from the lesson is that vegetables are eaten by adults, and you yourself don't like them. As a child, you relate experiences based on first hand interaction. That is clearly a part missing from this course.

One part of the course I really liked however was the pronounciation. You're read a word or phrase and need to pronounce it back via your mic or webcam. How well this actually works is up to debate, but it's really satisfying when you get it right first time. For tonal languages like Mandarin, I would imagine this gets significantly harder and frustrating.

Rosetta Stone also offers added extras like apps for on the go learning, live online tutoring and access to a community. All this is available as added extras requiring some small subscription fee on top of the offline purchase price. There is also an e-course that offers everything from the offline package, plus all the online extras, with the catch of 1 year only. Then you lose access. Which probably leads me to believe if you expect to finish the course in a year, then online is best. If taking your time and you want a perpetual license to use the software whenever you want then the CD version is better. Note their website says you can at least add the online services to the offline experience. I haven't tried this myself though.

In all, Rosetta Stone is a engaging and fun piece of learning software. Engagement to me is an important part of any learning experience that is meant to be used in your spare time. However, just based on early lessons from the first language disc, it appears that whilst the process of not giving you any english or explanation is a decision that I suppose has been researched to be effective, Rosetta Stone would probably be more useful supplemented by a book to fill in the gaps in understanding. Is it cheaper than a real language course? Yes. Does it provide more value than one? Only the learner could answer that. I am tempted to say no.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rosetta Stone Spanish, 14 Nov 2013
P. A. Smith (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently took the plunge and decided to go for a Rosetta Stone language course, in spite of my reservations about the price, having tried some very cheap options in the past. I personally think that the key to learning any new language is a combination of various factors that include vocal repetition, picture association, grammar understanding, time commitment and patience.
So far, after a month's use, I have to say that I have found this course to be very interactive, engaging and enjoyable. I have some basic Spanish already so I am progressing quite quickly through it. However, the proof in the pudding and the true measure of whether this is over priced or great value for money is ultimately dependent on whether I complete the course, become semi-fluent in Spanish and make use of everything that I have spent so long trying to learn. I won't know that for some time but for the time being I will give this course the thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think I made the right choice, 22 Mar 2014
I have been hesitating about getting this for a while, since the price tag is quite high and there are a lot of negative reviews on the net. I got it at special offer, and think I made the right choice.

I have used Linguaphone, Hugo Complete, Paul Noble, Pinsleur, BBC TalkSpanish and Michelle Thomas. At the moment, I am doing evening class using PRISMA course. I found Rosetta works well in conduction with PRISMA. The level covered is very close to the A1 and A2 levels. Based on DELE, you should be able to deal with most situations in spanish after A2.

I do not think there is any shortcut in language learning. For me, how good a language course is is down to whether it can keep me interested and feel good progression. I think Rosetta has done the job. I found the course is structured with lots and contineous incremental steps. The end result is quite solid as well.

The installation takes a bit of time. I use Mac, and the flash player needs upgrading for this run properly. There are 2 MP3 discs for off the computer learning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compehensive Course, 13 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rosetta Stone is a pretty expensive package, but cheaper than taking years of language lessons and definitely worth investing in if you buy this pack which contains the complete course of levels 1-5. The software is easy to install and is interactive, with multiple choice activities and pictures, to help you grasp the language using visual aids too.

This set includes a booklet to guide you through installation, the CDs and, probably best of all, a headset including microphone. This is used for practicing with voice recognition and is very rewarding when you know that you are speaking correctly, and so learning properly.

Overall this would make a great gift for someone who wanted to learn a language or would be a great way to get yourself up to a fairly good level of fluency if you are passionate about learning a language. There are a good variety of languages available too if Spanish is not necessarily your first choice- I will certainly consider getting another language pack in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rosetta Stone Spanish, 5 Dec 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Several years ago my Mother and I took evening classes in Spanish so I already have some of the basics but I think a combination of a not so great teacher and taking classes on a Friday evening after a busy week at work meant we didn't learn as much as we hoped we would. I have been wanting to try the Rosetta Stone course for a long time now but was always put off by the cost (it's actually less than the amount I spent on evening classes but I still found it hard to justify for a computer program) so when when the product came up for review on Vine I jumped at the chance of trying it.

I have to say I'm enjoying it so far and I think the fact that I can pick it up as often as I like (rather than just once a week like the classes) means I am taking things in and remembering them better. The course is supposed to teach you the language in the same way you learnt English as a child so you get various visual and spoken clues but nothing is ever directly translated into English. I'm still in the fairly basic part of the program so I'm not having too much trouble (partly because a lot of this is just refresher to me rather than something completley new) but I am worried that it will get confusing as I move forward in the course.

It's difficult to rate this product when I haven't completed the whole course but at the moment I would say it's easier for people who already have some of the basics of the language. I'm not sure how I'd be getting on with it if I was completely new to Spanish and it's not inspired me to buy a different language version. As a refresher tool I do think it's very useful though and it's also good for helping you practise your pronounciation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, 10 Nov 2013
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would tend to agree with the other reviews here about Rosetta Stone. While the learning process is a unique interactive exercise it is not for everyone.

I have actually already taken Spanish classes and wanted to get Rosetta Stone to refresh and improve my Spanish skills. From the outset though I wondered how you ever really know what something means in English when it never tells you. I can understand the courses are designed to get you to refrain from thinking in English but as a person who likes a little reassurance I felt the picture matching exercises a little uneasy because you find yourself learning largely by assumption, especially when it comes to differentiating between tenses.

If I had not already had a good basic knowledge of Spanish I feel like I might have given up on the product quite quickly. I certainly think it is a very expensive investment to make. If you prefer interacting with real people I would tend to recommend evening classes over this kind of course.

The thing these kind of products really miss out on is incorporating popular culture. This is a huge talking point in any language and while I was taking classes we learned about movies and popular music we could check out in our own time. I found this a great tool to help expand my knowledge of the language and Spanish culture, and also easily spot differences between European Spanish and Latin-American Spanish. We also did many exercises translating lyrics of pop songs. From what I've seen so far This whole kind of area is missed in Rosetta Stone and hard to keep up to date in a computer program anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete Spanish Course- excellent and comprehensive, 6 Dec 2013
Uenna (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To many Rosetta Stone needs no introduction, but to any one who has never heard of them, they are a market leader with innovative software products for learning languages. The complete spanish course contains levels 1-5 of the spanish course, with 5 cds containing the levels 1 -5 interactive software. There is a 2 cd audio companion for all 5 levels. This is mp3 and works well with all mp3 devices, enabling one to practice what has been learned. The pack additionally contains a quick start booklet, showing you pictorially how to set up. The best feature is the headset microphone for speech recognition. Having used other Rosetta stone language courses, I am very delighted with this complete course and working hard on learning Spanish. It pays to have the right materials and in my opinion you can't go wrong with the Rosetta Stone language series. The software is mac and pc compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressive., 12 April 2014
I gave myself six months to complete this course in order to be able to have a go at talking to Spanish-speaking guests at our niece's wedding yesterday, of which more anon... I have to say the results were unbelievable. My knowledge of Spanish prior to buying the course was virtually nothing, although my French is beyond 'A' level and that had to be an advantage. I've worked hard at it, probably up to ten hours a week, to do my part of the 'immersion' technique. I have also bought a couple of books of Spanish short stories with parallel English text to reinforce my learning and extend my vocabulary. I strongly advise the purchase of a good dictionary to use alongside the Course and recommend the Collins Pocket Spanish Dictionary which is excellent value for money. I like the way in which the course is broken down into bite-size chunks: a core lesson which takes about half an hour, followed by five-to-ten-minute reinforcement sections concentrating on reading, vocabulary, grammar, writing and pronunciation. At the end of each section you are given your mark as a percentage and this is very motivating, allowing you to go back and repeat a section if you aren't pleased with how you did. The main factor for me is how enjoyable the course has been and how much I'm going to miss it now that it's finished - however, it will be this summer's challenge to work out a way to maintain my current level and develop my speaking skills; it will definitely be an ongoing hobby.
As far as value for money is concerned, it comes in at about the same cost of a couple of terms of evening classes and I'm convinced that I couldn't have come so far in such a short time using that route, especially as we've spent three of the last six months out of the country. Of course I can go back at any time and use the course as useful revision.
And how did the wedding go? I was seated between a couple with very little English and we had a really fun evening - there is an open invitation to holiday in Mexico so, all in all, mission accomplished.
Six more months of developing the Spanish speaking and then I'm having a go at Rosetta Stone German!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Rosetta Stone... as expensive as some in-person language courses, 28 Nov 2013
David Burton "aenikata" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The core of Rosetta Stone hasn't changed that much over the years - you're presented with pictures and foreign text or audio, and need to pair things up. Sometimes there's spoken elements as well, although this seems a bit hit or miss, sometimes accepting a cough or other non-word noise, other times rejecting a correct answer repeatedly. On the whole, though, the immersion basis for learning a language may or may not be the most effective around, but it will teach some bits and is reasonably fun, so it should be appropriate for various ages to learn some basics. It's more likely to be useful as a precursor to a proper language course.

ARRAY(0xae000f0c)

Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) Complete Course (PC/Mac)
Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) Complete Course (PC/Mac) by Rosetta Stone Ltd (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)
295.45