5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Effective Way to Learn Spanish
Published 2 months ago by Brett H

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive. Adequate introduction.
Rosetta Stone eTOTAL Español Course

Published 6 months ago by Paul Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Effective Way to Learn Spanish, 1 July 2014
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) Level 1 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
I have previously used the Rosetta Stone system for studying languages and found that it is a very effective way of learning. By teaming up Spanish words with pictures to illustrate them you quickly find yourself thinking in Spanish. This is in contrast to more traditional methods of learning where the Spanish word would be presented with its English equivalent, which is the way that most of us would have been taught at school.

The course is divided into lessons, each of which is segmented into a number of sections. In that way pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar and the written word are each covered within the lesson. At the end of each segment you are given a percentage result which is quite an incentive. I remember how pleased I was when I first got a 100% mark for the first time!

Personally I find that this way of learning suits me, and I soon noticed that I was progressing through the lessons faster than I was expecting to. This is because I was enjoying the course and the way in which it was presented and this is quite an important element in learning. The Rosetta Stone system certainly works and that is why it is used in many schools and is the reason that many language teaching professionals rate it so highly.

There are some aspects that would be purchasers should be aware of however. This course comes with a 3 month access to the online aspects which include live tutorials with French native speakers, and various community activities with games etc to improve your skills. You have to commence your inclusive three months within six months of purchase. Should you wish to extend this beyond the inclusive three months, there is an addition fee per three month additional segment according to RS customer services. If enthused after having gone through Level 1, you wish to get hold of Levels 2-5, the official policy is that you have to buy the Level 1-5 package and receive no credit for having already purchased Level 1. However, although it is by no means guaranteed, apparently if you ring Rosetta Stone customer services they may well be able to help out.

As a final point, what you are purchasing is a personal license from Rosetta Stone, and you cannot legally sell this on - hence you are not legally going to be able to recover some of the cost on the second hand market when you have completed the course and given that this is quite a big up front investment, this is a point worth noting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but pricey, 10 April 2014
Manda Moo (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the way Rosetta Stone language courses work and this is along the same lines. The use of pictures to back up the words is a clear way of gradually picking up the words you need to build your language knowledge. As I have been learning Spanish for about 8 years (I should be much better than I am) I am not quite sure how I would have picked up the grammar side of things but maybe that's something you just pick up along the way without worrying too much.

The only thing I would say against RS courses is they are a bit pricey, there are others out there which are cheaper, though maybe not so comprehensive and clearly laid out.

5.0 out of 5 stars learning at your own pace, 7 Mar 2014
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already have a Rosetta Stone language course (Italian level 1) and I was surprised to discover how easy it was to add to the existing program:

- open your existing program
- look to the top right of the Rosetta Stone screen
- press the button to the left of the "?" (help) button
- select "add or remove language"
- select "add a language level"
- pop the language disc into the drive
- press the ok button

If you don't have a previous Rosetta Stone course then:

- put the "application" disc in the drive and follow the instructions,

Either way it is incredibly easy to load the Rosetta Stone language programs onto your computer and it works fine on Windows 8.1.

The lessons work by showing you a series of pictures and you listen to the pronunciation of the words. In some cases you will be asked to repeat the words; in others you will be asked to click on the associated image and (after several lessons) you will even be asked to type in the words in Spanish - it is this latter area which I found the most daunting. One thing I did notice was the images used in this course are identical to those used in the previous course, and I did wonder if they were the same in such as the Russian or Chinese courses. Of course it doesn't really make any difference to the course other than being a slight distraction.

The vocal software is sensitive enough to know when your pronunciation isn't quite right and you will be prompted to say the word(s) again.

You receive a USB connection headset to use while learning your new language. I haven't yet tried these as I have a headset which I am used to and very happy with and the program doesn't seem to have a problem recognising what I say.

As with the other language course I won't be activating my 3 months free online tutor until I have built up enough confidence in the basics of the language to ensure that that precious time isn't wasted while I am only starting to learn my new language.

Once you have completed a module/lesson you can dip into more concentrated areas of learning the language such as pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, reading and writing by clicking on the "explore all activities" button at the bottom of the menu window.

You can also practice when travelling in your car by using the Audio Companion.

The good thing about Rosetta Stone is that it isn't just a case of learning which position to click on because the images aren't stationary but move around with each statement and this makes you think about what is being said and then analysing the content of the picture.

The really great thing about learning programs like this is that you can do it at your own pace and repeat lessons over and over again until you are ready to move on rather than struggling to keep up with the rest of the class; and, for those of us who aren't so great at picking up new languages, this is a wonderful development.

I am really pleased with the Rosetta Stone language programs that I have and, though I might be a little slower than most, I am enjoying learning the new languages which will (hopefully) help me to communicate with some of my new colleagues and students in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rosetta stone spanish level one, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) Level 1 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
It does what it says on the box!!! The installation was intuitive, the headphones and microphone set (included) not just work but are good quality and very comfortable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive. Adequate introduction., 18 Mar 2014
Paul Lynch (UK) - See all my reviews
Rosetta Stone eTOTAL Español Course

Rosetta is one of those things that you see a lot (on carts in American malls, mostly), but is one of the more expensive language learning tools. For Spanish, there are good and far cheaper alternatives ranging from Duolingo, through Michel Thomas to Assimil (and Pimsleur, which is more expensive, but I haven't ever used, so can't comment on). All of these have their advocates.

In the box you get three CDs, a quick start guide, and a headset. I installed the Macintosh version, and used the internal mike/speakers with no problem. Note that this does NOT include any form of online access (tutor sessions, games or mobile apps), which require a separate subscription. One of the CDs is an MP3 CD with a pdf guide to the contents, and sets of audio from the lessons; using a Mac, an audio CD would have been more readily usable.

I did have some trouble applying the activation code at first - I was entering the serial number, rather than turning over the card and scraping the code clear, which isn't as unlikely as it sounds, given that both the serial number and the activation code are laid out in the same format. Still, that allowed me to test the trial mode!

With Rosetta, the user interface is in English, but the actual content is all in Spanish. You get only "Level 1", which consists of four units, each of four lessons broken down into short sections of 5 or 0 minutes each - Language Basics, Greetings and Introductions, Work and School, and Shopping; the equivalent of a first term or year of evening classes. Each unit has ten sections, consisting of a mixture of reading, writing, listening, speaking and core lesson, grammar and review components. Each lesson has a core unit estimated to take 30 minutes, with extra sections: the total estimated time for unit 1, with four lessons, is 360 minutes (remember there are four units). I hope that gives some idea of the amount of time the Level 1 course will take.

The exercises consist of coloured pictures with Spanish audio and matching the two in various combinations, including your repetition of the audio. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out if you are supposed to say sometime, click a picture or type.

Overall, it looks pretty and gives you a set of repetition drills. Vocabulary is basic, and expects answers to exactly match expectations, with no flexibility. For the price, and at this level, I far prefer the free Duolingo, which is less pretty but more flexible in expected responses. One limitation is that there is effectively no cultural information, and the pictures all seem to be of generic Americans.

Another review refers to a free three month on-line tutor, but I can find no evidence of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars pricey but effective, 14 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
not the cheapest product but at least it's european spanish not latin american, installs easily and seems quite slick. the way it builds word association through pictures rather than learning phrases. still think its overpriced but it's one of the best I've seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Una buena compra, 13 April 2014
P. G. Strachan (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried out a fair few language learning courses in my attempts to pick up smatterings of various different foreign tongues. Most of them have been of the audiobook/cd variety but this is a very different way of learning....hard to describe....but at it's simplest the idea seems to be to use pictures rather than words to anchor the translation in your head. Different, as I say, but really very effective. I found I was picking up the basics of the language much faster using the Rosetta system but it might be the case that what works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. The headphones and microphone that come bundled up with this package are pretty good quality but - on the downside - it is pretty expensive for what is, after all, just the beginners version of the course. If you're serious about learning the language you might be better off taking the plunge and investing in the full course...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to learn, 11 Mar 2014
C. R. Williams "rockinhepcat" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the way the voice recognition gets you to pronounce the words correctly before you can move on. Headset is comfortable with a usb connection to your pc. Set up wouldn't finalise and I had to go online to their site to sort it out.

You may think to begin with that it starts off a little too simple, but stick with it, it's a great method of learning that will stay with you and come naturally quite quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Total immersion, 24 Mar 2014
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rosetta Stone use a total immersion technique for language learning, akin to how we learn to speak when we are children; no English translations are given, you learn to match the activity in the picture to the words. You learn to speak by repeating the spoken phrase, this is analysed for accuracy, and you repeat until you get it right.
The package is supplied with a good quality headset; initially I set up using my laptop’s built-in speakers and microphone, however I found that the speech analysis didn’t work correctly unless I used the supplied headset.
The lessons are fun to do and the speech analysis worked well. This is just the Level 1 Introduction Course and the suggested time for taking to complete it is 360 minutes and it seems expensive for what you get. To learn some useful phrases, for a holiday, say, I would recommend the BBC Get By series which is much cheaper. Once you have learned some verbs the ability to conjugate them is key to any language, and I would recommend the excellent “501 Spanish verbs” for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mucho Gusto!, 29 Mar 2014
Ginger "Online Shopper" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I cannot claim to have never had Spanish lessons before using this, I attended a class some years ago and thought that this would prove to be a good refresher. Easy to install and all you need to do is follow the online prompts. Using the adjustable headphones that are included (good snug fit) you begin each lesson by matching the correct spoken word to one of the four pictures displayed. You also have the option of listening to the word against a sound graph of a Spanish speaking person, making it easy for you to practise your speech, your voice will be recording and played back allowing you to refine each word. Other than attending Spanish lessons this is an ideal way for total beginners to learn the language, books are fine but you don`t have the opportunity to compare yourself against a Spanish speaker. My reason for not giving five stars is the price, expensive enough. Adios!

Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) Level 1 (PC/Mac)
Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) Level 1 (PC/Mac) by Rosetta Stone Ltd (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)
147.38