To give you some context I am a graphic designer and I bought this in the hopes that it would give me an insight into the mental process of a well respected figure in my industry. While it perhaps doesn't succeed in the way I expected it to I've enjoyed reading it a great deal.

Published 23 months ago by Ed

1.0 out of 5 stars More blogs than essays
Published on 22 April 2012 by BanbooWand

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting wander through the thoughts of a design veteran, 10 Dec 2012

When I ordered the book I thought it might pull back the curtain on some of the things that many designers want to know - Where does this guy find his inspiration? What is his mental check-list when putting together a project? What's his secret to choosing the right typeface for a project? This book doesn't really answer any of those questions... at least not directly.

Instead it gives a very clear view of the way Bierut's mind works in other ways - his trains of thought; the importance he sees in topics that aren't necessarily directly related to the industry; and the anecdotal stories that tell the reader more about the culture of design rather than about design itself.

One reviewer complained that the essays were too short and that they didn't go into enough depth to educate or inspire. I think that's a little unfair: this is simply a collection of Bierut's blog posts from Design Observer, and a number of the essays have planted seeds of something in my mind, which have led to much larger discussions with colleagues, so on that level I think it has had an inspiring effect.

In short, reading this book isn't necessarily going to improve your graphic design directly, but if you're lucky it might give you an insight into the sort of thoughts that go through the mind of a designer who really knows what he's doing, and I think that counts for rather a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars More blogs than essays, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design (Paperback)
I was very disappointed to discover a complete absence of academic rigour in any of the essays. It reads like series of printed blog posts. I was expecting to read something that would inspire me, or educate me. But nothing was properly researched. For example there isn't a bibliography, no substantive research. It is full of anecdotes and conjecture. I real disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am satisfied with the book, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design (Paperback)
I am satisfied with the book. It is a christmas-present for my son, and he is very happy to have received it.

5.0 out of 5 stars and it's a very enlightening and brilliantly written book, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design (Paperback)
Must have book for designers! It was on our reading list at University, I didn't read it whilst studying! But have read it since, and it's a very enlightening and brilliantly written book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, but a little too smug..., 2 Mar 2012
Dex Diva (Cambridge and London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design (Paperback)
I have to agree somewhat with a previous reviewer that a lot of the essays here my Bierut are smug and self congratulatory, disguised thinly as insights. However, I think a lot of the "old school" desgn world of which Beirut and Pentagram are a part operates like that - there is a bubble of design work in which the industry awards itself and conducts a lot of naval gazing.
I must add however, that the essays are thought provoking from time to time, although often held together with a tenuous concept. Enjoyable, affordable and interesting, but don't expect earth moving revelations.
[...]

Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design
Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design by Michael Bierut (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)