4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth buying a pair alongside 2-3 core sets..., 25 July 2013
G. Rutland (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing: Tie Fighter Expansion Pack (Toy)
Clever Fantasy Flight Games ensure we need to plump for at least one each of the separate X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions by including unique cards and pilots with them. My recommendation is to pick up three Core Sets, 1 X-Wing and then 2 of these to keep the 2:1 balance of TIEs:X-Wings and ensure you have access to all the pilots whilst maintaining the option to run a 4 X-Wing or 8 TIE squad (possible even in a 100 point match!)

None of the named pilots in this set are going to ring any bells unless you are a bit of a nerd for Imperial pilots who aren't Darth Vader. If you are, then you'll be delighted to know that Howlrunner, Backstabber, Mauler Mithel, Dark Curse, Night Beast and Winged Gundark can all run in a squad together once you own a couple of these. Either way, the included cards have some great abilities and allow you to field a couple of TIEs that allow you to field some quite interesting (smaller) swarms that really test your ability to formation fly and attack at close range. Of course, given the lack of upgrade spots on the TIE Fighter, upgrade cards are thin on the ground in this expansion and are nothing new - a pity, yet thematically understandable.

I recommend at least two to go with two Core Sets for a total of 6, but recently bought a third core set to bring the grand total to 8; 8 Academy Pilots clock in at 96 points don'tcha know? I've been advised fielding such a squad is a riot.

All in all, a great expansion with enough to convince you to buy a couple of separates.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Swarm, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing: Tie Fighter Expansion Pack (Toy)
I bought two of these building up my TIE Swarm.

I the model is fine, I like them, the detail is good.

Game-wise, the pilot card I like the best is Backstabber, give him a boost upgrade, (Falcon) have him doing a bit of Backstabbing and he's all bad news. Howlrunner is popular too as he allows any friendly ship at range one to re-roll one die. This is powerful game-wise, however it means flying in a very tight formation with him, and aesthetically I don't like it. Youtube has videos on it which will illustrate what I mean.

I have been running eight Academy Pilots and I feel this is strong enough. The reason I am doing this is I am still fairly new to the game, the pilots can't have any upgrades, (anyone reading my other reviews will see one mistake I made in my core set review) so this allows me to have a strong force and concentrate on the basics. I can leave the shenanigans to my opponents, and just note down in my mind anything that appeals to me.

So my Swarm is serving me a purpose game-wise at the moment, and I feel is cannon enough film/background-wise. There also seems to be more Rebel than Imperial players where I'm playing, so it's serving a purpose there too.

If you want a complaint, it would be upgrade cards, there's only two, Determination, and Swarm Tactics. I now have an Adrenaline Rush card that I got with the TIE Bomber, I will use this card and feel it would be useful elsewhere, damn the trap. ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for an excellent game, 7 Mar 2014
B. Castro Sa "Bacms" (Cambridge, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing: Tie Fighter Expansion Pack (Toy)
This can be found cheaper elsewhere. It is a good product and the pre paint is actually decent enough if if you are a miniature wargamer that look suspicious at the word pre painted. The only annoying things is that he does not bring all the possible X-wings pilot cards and upgrades. So for all the pilots you still need the starter as well as ton of other different ships if you want all the possible upgrades

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing: Tie Fighter Expansion Pack (Toy)
This is a superb game, and the xpansion good value still yet to win a game though, love the simplicity and elegance

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing: Tie Fighter Expansion Pack (Toy)
The eponymous TIE/LN Tie Fighter, developed by Seinar Fleet systems to be cheap, mass producable (corran Horn is quoted as saying "a commodity which, after hydrogen and stupidity, was the most plentiful in the galaxy")

Lacking shields it makes up for it with speed and numbers. Rebel pilots will nearly always find themselves outnumbered when facing TIE's

The paint job on the model is quite nice and all in it is good quality. be careful of the wings as the resin used in casting that thinly can be brittle.

Star Wars X-Wing: Tie Fighter Expansion Pack