5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, stylish, I love it
This hardback book is a must for any Zelda fan. I cannot stress enough how great it is to see concept art and background information for every single Zelda game, minus the CD-i of course. (I can't wait to bomb some DODONGOS!)

Published 16 months ago by Declan Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely ART book, but not the HISTORICAL tale I expected
First things first- I know this is fiction, and by 'historical' I just mean that I wanted to get inside the creators of the franchise and read their thoughts.

Instead I got an Art book.

Long review ahead, skip to end for conclusion.

Published 19 months ago by STING

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, stylish, I love it, 21 May 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)

Hundreds of pages, all coloured and beautifully designed, not to mention every page is thicker than normal, giving weight to every page. I love it, and my friends, who aren't particular Zelda fans loved it too! Even got them to try out Twilight Princess.

Only one thing to note, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not every game gets the same amount of page numbers, with Skyward Sword taking over 60, and Twilight Princess taking 30, while Ocarina of Time taking only 5. This is due to the concept art being more numerous, more designs as the games got more intricate with their designs.

If you want to know what kind of book this is, it's half concept art, half behind the scenes, as there are pages dedicated to describing minor characters, giving offical backgrounds to them that we could only guess about. For example, the Great Hero in Twilight Princess who taught Link the Forgotten Techniques, his origins are revealed, and it's a doozy!
Not to mention the Official Zelda Timeline is finally revealed!

For what you get, I'd say it's worth far more than what they're charging, but I'm biased since I'm so happy with my purchase :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
This is a really detailed book, great for any fan of the Zelda series.
Lovely artwork, decent amount of information, there's a Zelda manga at the back, but pest part for me are the timelines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any Zelda fan, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
Finally the Hyrule Historia has been released over here and is a must buy for any Zelda fan. This is not a story book but an encyclopedia of the Zelda series.

The beginning of the book focuses on the Skyward Sword and gives an insight to the creation process with plenty of concept art. This is followed by the complete Zelda time line (the best part of the book), the complete chronological order of how all the games fit together. Towards the end is a whole section of art from the Zelda series, this includes lots of concept art and has plenty of detail.

To finish it of you are treated to a 32 page Manga comic, it is the prequel to the Skyward Sword.

This book is highly recommended for any Zelda fan and is a great companion to go along with your game collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome., 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
When i received it, and it was well protected, i was suprised first because of the size, and second because of the quality. For what i had seen, it was cool, but i never imagined it was awesome. The info and extras this great book has is crazy. if your an hardcore Zelda fan, you must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars birthday gift for a zelda fantatic, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
bought for my daughters birthday, Zelda books are very hard to find in the shops, and when you can find them they are expensive. Amazon to the rescue again!!!!! have and will be buying many more books in the future from this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for Zelda lovers, 28 April 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
I've written a longer review about this so I'll try and be brief. Basically, I believe this delivered. It's called the Hyrule Historia, and it gave me the Zelda chronology. The other chapters, including the concept art for the other games, was also greatly appreciated. I wish there was more trivia however, and there were times when the book felt as if it had been written by a fan and not someone at Nintendo. Definitely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's dangerous to go alone, take this!, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
This product can be easily summed up with just one word: Masterful.
This 276(?) page encyclopaedic book contains stunning drawings and never-before-seen concept art that is essential for any The Legend of Zelda fan. The long-awaited official Zelda timeline has been published, and this serves to dispel almost all confusion a fan may have regarding the chronology of this fantastic video-game series.
The book also includes a 32 page manga that acts as a sort of prelude to 2011's "Skyward Sword" and features beautiful artwork. Every game in the series, as well as those lesser-known games (e.g. the "BS Zelda Game series") is chronicled within the pages, and the book is fantastically well formatted with clear-to-read text, and colourful lettering.
I loved this book, and I promise you will too!

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely ART book, but not the HISTORICAL tale I expected, 11 Feb 2013
STING (Everywhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)

Instead I got an Art book.

Long review ahead, skip to end for conclusion.

This book is BIG, a lot bigger than I thought but that's not a bad thing as it seems quite fitting for such a franchise to receive a grand appearance. The gold lettering on the front is reflective foil and is a rather nice touch. The darkhorse logo is stamped one the spine and on the back so the front cover isn't tainted (no offense to Dark Horse) by logos that it doesn't need.

However I would have liked a design similar to the collector's edition, and I don't mean the leather slip cover, but at least turn 'The Legend of Zelda' into the appropriate Hylian script as to give it a bit of mystery and let the owner feel like its part of the Zelda-universe. I understand that may put others off but who is buying this- Fans of the Zelda games, and as such I think more could have been done here.

My two biggest problems with this book are; WAY too much Skyward Sword and sorely lacking written detail. According to the 'official' timeline *SPOILER* Skyward Sword is the beginning and I suppose it makes sense to cover it in detail, but here's the catch- this is just an art book. I may be one of the few who expected this to carry a historical perspective from the developers, artists, writers, etc etc, and was a little bit disappointed to find art dominating each page with only tiny details regarding what the development process was or why the character was created.

Logic comes into play here as obviously every tiny piece of detail would make this a series of books, or a ridiculously expensive one at least, if everything was included. However cutting down the skyward sword content (which dominates a good chunk of the book) would mean more room for other detail, specifically when discussing the other titles.

Following SS we move into the 'official timeline' which moves from Skyward Sword to (eventually) Ocarina of Time and then splits into three seperate branches. This entire section is heavy in detail but its nothing I didn't know (bar the now confirmed timeline and where each game sits, and one reference regarding the phantom soldier in TP) so I returned to the thought of "who is this book for, casual fans?". Another thing to note is that some written (or typed, rather) detail is incredibly small and requires great light and the book quite close to read it, and before you ask my vision is quite excellent. Also the information is not the problem here, it is the LACK of information.

Following this section they return to art/detail on all of the previous titles which was painfully short in contrast to the Skyward Sword section. Perhaps they didn't have a lot of the original documents, but I find it insulting (to a degree) that Ocarina of Time (apparently an important part of the Hero timeline) gets two pages for heroes and at least 3 for Ganondorf. That isn't to say the detail here is bad as I found a lot of it fascinating, but why so short? This pattern continues for the rest of the titles and concludes with the Skyward Sword prequel Manga.

In conclusion I found that this book had a rather misleading title and my decision to buy it would have been different, I wouldn't have pre-ordered it so quickly, had a I known it was 80% art book and 20% information (a lot of it notes and common sense to any game fans). Personally I needed more information regarding older titles such as- why the Deku tree and not a nature sage? Why make the Kokiri immortal? Why is only one male born into the Gerudo tribe? It can go on, obviously.

I want to make it clear that I DON'T hate this book, in fact I enjoyed reading it but I felt slightly disappointed in its lack of information and its heavy coverage of Skyward Sword (a game some Zelda fans seem to dislike I might add). Maybe I should have done my research on the Japanese edition but I don't care much for spoilers so I chose not to.

At a push this book could achieve 4 stars but instead I give it a 3 1/2 stars.

Another reviewer (5 Star review) had a few notes at the bottom of theirs regarding what could be included to make it more special, and I completely agree with their choices as some extras (not just a manga) like sheet music would have been a wonderful touch.

Take it as you will.
Comment Comment | Permalink

5.0 out of 5 stars so very pleased, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
This book arrived a day earlier than I was expecting, and boy, was I glad to see it.

Having bought the original Japanese version when there seemed to be no sign of a translation coming, I was unsure of whether to buy this at all.
however, coupled with my lack of ability to actually read Japanese, the price really threw it for me at only £17!

When it arrived, I was expecting something much the same as my other copy, but was pleasantly surprised to see that this version is, in fact, larger. Even better, the artwork looks just as good, and not at all like it has been stretched in any way.

For any Zelda fan, it would be an honest shame to miss out on this book. I t looks (and smells) great,
and the sheer amount on information inside is staggering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 1 Feb 2013
David Amador "David Amador" (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (Hardcover)
This book is awesome, seriously. Hardcover. Gorgeous illustrations.
It has 32 extra pages with a manga short story. It has a timeline explaining where each game takes place.
If I have one complaint is that there's much more Skyward Sword art than the rest. But still it's well worth it.
Any Zelda fan needs this. An absolutely must.

The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia by Shigeru Miyamoto (Hardcover - 29 Jan 2013)