The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age Book 2) (Dark Age (Pyr))
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£11.04+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 9 June 2005
When Caitlin Shepherd, a GP, loses her husband and son to the very plague she has been trying to cure, she finds herself driven insane, her personality shattered into five very different personalities - her own, that of a young girl, a neurotic chain-smoker, a haggard old woman, and a beast from the darkness. Seeking shelter with her friend Mary, she becomes caught up in the eternal conflict when she is called on to enter into the Otherworld to find a cure for the plague, taking with her two runaways and a man who is looking for his lost daughter. In Otherworld, Caitlin learns of her destiny as a Sister of Dragons and rescues a human boy used as an experiment by the Tuatha De Danann, gods of old, and realises that this new world may be the way to save her family - but not everyone will survive her quest, and even if she reaches the end, she will have to sacrifice something very, very important indeed . . .
Although I agree with the previous reviewer that this book is perhaps not as pacy as some of Chadbourn's earlier works, in his defense this new trilogy is a very different kettle of fish. The Age of Misrule carried on directly into one another, whereas here, bravely I thought, we move on from the events of The Devil in Green with no mention at all of Mallory or Sophie. Instead, we are given an entirely new cast, and what a delight they are.
Readers of the Age of Misrule will recognise Jack as the boy whose mother Shavi met briefly in Darkest Hour, mourning the loss of her son - an interesting plot point to counter those who accuse Chadbourn of 'too much junk.' Having said that, Carlton feels underused and the revelation regarding Matt towards the end of the book could be seen as a little rushed, and Caitlin's brief jaunt to our world doesn't seem to have that much impetus for anything, really, other than introducing Thackeray and Harvey.
So perhaps, a little rushed with two or three too many characters - but it raises interesting questions about the nature of the Brothers and Sisters of Dragons and what is in store for the rest of the quest, as well as offering tantalising teasers about what has really happened to Church . . .
on 25 November 2006
Having followed the adventures of the Brothers and Sisters of Dragons I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into this instalment. Like the previous reviewers I was a little disappointed with this episode. I'd fallen in love with the previous characters and looked forward to everyone coming together here. I put my initial disappointment aside and followed the adventures of this new band of misfits. As more of Caitlins part was revealed to me I found that I enjoyed her story. Although this book feels a bit rushed it's a vital read and will be appreciated more once you read Jack of Ravens which is an excellent instalment in the series. I heart Mark Chadbourn.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Definitely the weakest book in Chadbourn's 6 books about the Fall, so far. This one is more of an aside, as the doctor that you meet in the 6th book crosses over to the Otherworld to find a cure for a plague that is ravaging her local area.

She has a few companions, is a Sister of Dragons, gets help from the Goddess in the form of the Morrigan, and still screws up.
on 23 May 2005
When I first read the Age of Misrule, I was dragged in by the story rather than the style. Rereading it a year later, I enjoyed both. The Devil in Green was captivating, a tense rollercoaster that made me want to read it from the safe patch behind the sofa where I used to hide from the Daleks.
It's fair to say the bar was set rather high for the Queen of Sinister.
The plotting is familiar Chadbourn territory - the isolated protagonist, a looming and indistinct threat, and rattles along with a pack of misfits hurled into the heart of a divine war.
The concept work is good, building on familiar characters and situations (watch out for Lugh, amongst others) to show how the original Brothers/Sisters of Dragons' actions have affected the Golden Ones as well as mankind. Some of the individual sequences (esp. the Morrigan in Birmingham) are visceral and compelling reading.
However, the tale feels oddly disjointed. Dialogue is often forced and one of the more interesting characters (Mahalia) in particular is poorly-drawn, at times seeming like little more than a stand-in for Laura (from the Age of Misrule) - all sharp comments and internal damage. Caitlin too would have benefited from a little more attention, although the MPD sequences are riveting.
The cutaways to Mary do not gel well with the main storyline, and her actions combined with the deus/dea ex machina make the ending feel shoe-horned. With no real surprises, by this point in the narrative I found I honestly didn't care what happened to any of the characters.
All in all, it felt as though the book was rushed - this is a good basis, but a lot more could have been done with it.
On the strength of this novel, I would not read any of the others. However, having read and enjoyed the other 4, I will give this one another chance and hang out for the Hounds of Avalon.
on 17 December 2014
Great book, good condition, arrived on time.

Bought this to replace my copy I loaned out and couldn't remember who to.