5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive resource!, 22 Sep 2009
Lethe (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Hat® Certified Technician & Engineer (RHCT and RHCE) Training Guide and Administrator's Reference (Paperback)
I've purchased this book last week and have been reading it, I'm more or less at half book and all I can tell is WOW! This book is the definitive resource for any Linux Admin or RHCE Aspirant (I fall in both categories) or for anyone willing to learn more about this wonderful Operating System.

The books opens up unveiling the basics of Linux, the shell, the basic commands (with an overview of sed, awk, operations on files) and proceeds with the management of the Linux system giving you a lot of details and examples about every command used/described. When I purchased the book I was thinking to use it as yet another reference (both for the exam and for everyday issues) but when I received it I was amazed by the quality of the material and quantity of information packed into this book!

I'm using this book as a resource to my RHCE exam preparation but I always have the book with me on my desk as it already proved useful while implementing services I was not familiar with and the only regret I have is having it before!

Definitely suggest this book to anyone exposed to Linux Administration or who want to achieve and pass the RHCE LAB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vey Good Book, 17 Nov 2009
A Kid's Review
I am preparing for the Redhat certification and I am so happy that I bought this book. It covers every single chapters that you would need for the certification and it goes through the topics with enough information without being too detail. It highlights the commands and then goes on to explain those. I think that even if someone is not going for a Redhat certification, still this book is a good treasure. I have one reservation though. I would have loved to have excercises at the end of each chapters. After all, Redhat is a performance based test and you need practice. I think the book falls short in that respect. Though the writer has given a list of exercises on page 659, I do not feel it being enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still actual for RHEL 6, 23 Nov 2010
Logically, full coverage for RHEL 5, still actual for RHEL 6. Of course, many topics (Printing, NIS, etc) not in use in current exam version, lot of new topics not in this book, but all other things are very understandable. I have passed the exam (of course I already have much experience and practice). Recommend this book for those, who want to pass current RHEL 6 exams.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Viewing, 7 Mar 2011
Great review that covers enormous amount. Just a tip if you get the Kindle Edition view it Landscape, a lot of the screen shot graphics will be unreadable in portrait.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 8 Nov 2010
To get the best out of this extremely practical book, make sure you build the labs along with each subject. As prep for the lab exams, definately follow the model presented in the book (back pages). Worked well for me (RHCT)!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate red hat book..., 18 Jan 2014
I'm a student who needs to pull a First class in my Red Hat class. This book looks like it has that covered. This book is actually intended to help people who are studying for the RHCT and RHCE exams, however, it's useful for anybody doing any kind of red hat. The book starts out with basic command line, such as changing directories (CD) and making folders. Soon enough, you'll find yourself piping to grep, sorting stuff you've piped, sorting by size, date - you name it. This book treats you as a beginner (without insulting you whatsoever) and takes you to a very high standard. I have no fears about my future exams, this book is WELL worth the money. You really will be happy if you make this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, covering a lot of the basics of RHEL5, 19 Oct 2013
A very good support reference, used with a range of other resources - it's really helping get around the basics of RHEL5 server admin

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but not the best, 20 Aug 2013
You could forgive the strange grammatical errors if this book were technically superb but alas, speaking as a Unix veteran I don't think it is. There are a lot of missed opportunities to explain the whys and wherefores here . I'm not sure if it's in an attempt to be concise or just to bang out another Linux book in short time ?
Some of the explanations ( SGID bit for example) are simply too wishy washy, almost as if the author does not fully understand or can't describe it, or simply needs to re-work it ! ( perhaps a problem with the proof reading ?)

If you know Unix and want to learn Red Hat ( like me ) then it's probably not a bad book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 12 May 2013
Good buy, worth the money, although a bit simplistic in parts. Outlines all the required areas and key points well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The good book, 16 Jan 2012
This book is useful for both studying for the exams and as a desktop reference. If you are a Linux guru this will remove any loose ends without a doubt. Holding it now, it probably weights a little over a Kg. Commands are grouped in a neat tabular format for each cli application. Also theres theory included which really helps understand the strange decisions.