Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Nicely developed characters who you care about with some realistically developed plotlines. This sort of thing could happen in small town america. It draws you in. The downside. More books in the series and you realise some are very short novellas for almost the same price. So you get the feeling that the author had some ideas but did not know how to develop them fully or the publisher wanted cash in. I don't begrudge authors rewards for their efforts but I am on a limited budget and have to choose carefully if I want to spend money on what will turn out to be no more than an hours entertainment. I can't help feel that they put a really good book for the first instalment then become increasingly more cynical. Upshot - I excitedly went to see what followed, and left disillusioned. so I'm going to have to pass on the rest of the series - and I'm so disappointed.!
on 22 April 2014
I very rarely read romance sans some sci-fi or fantasy element. Be it M/F, M/M, M/F/F, or any other variation, I generally end up gagging on all the feel good factors or declarations of love and/or dedication. I usually NEED something else in the plot to distract me from all that...that...those hearts and flowers. Having said that, it's probably not surprising that this book's been on my TBR for almost 9 months. But after randomly seeing a couple favourable reviews of it recently, I decided to give it a chance.

I'm glad I did. It's very sweet in its own way, without being nauseatingly sappy. These men aren't the sort to spout off about their undying love, though they're not too tightlipped to admit it either. I appreciated that. I adored Jared's voice as a narrator and practically swooned over Matt's earnestness. Though that same honestness, combined with his readily expressed excitement left him feeling a little like a wide-eyed child at times. But I just wanted to grab him up and squeeze him to death then too, so it's all good.

Seeing Jared and Matt struggle through their own issues was a bit of a blessing. Now, I don't know where it falls on the realism spectrum. I suspect a long way from real. But it also didn't force any "yeah,rights!' out of me. Which left me able to fully immerse myself in the story and pretend it really did represent life somewhere out there.

I deem this one definitely worth picking up and I would be thrilled to read more of the Coda series and/or writing by Marie Sexton.
on 25 December 2010
Jared is a young gay man living in small-town Colorado, helping to tun the family store rather than be a teacher for fear of local anti-gay sentiment. He lives a virtually celibate existence. Then, into his life comes Matt, the new policeman in town and the two quickly become firm friends. Jared hopes and suspects that Matt is gay but Matt insists he is straight. The core of the story is the evolution of the mutual attraction, turning to love, between the two men and the complications, tensions and pain that come with that. It is a lovely book with two compellingly attractive heroes - attractive both physically and as personalities, and a story that is both realistic and enthralling. While the basic formula is familiar, its treatment is done with originality and skill.
on 11 June 2010
A well written, expressive and charming story. Once I began reading, I couldn't put it down until I'd reached the end.

I thoroughly recommend it.
on 31 March 2011
By the end of the first page I was hooked. Sure,Marie Sexton's writing makes for an easy read but she also tackles the grit of human emotions, fears and joys.... add real life drama and you have a compelling read. A real plus is Promises is published by Dreamspinner press and comes on quality paper, good font and your purchase is a good investment of money and time .... though I found myself picking the book up at every available opportunity. Highly recommended.
on 11 September 2013
I was in the mood for some m/m romance so selected this book, and what a good choice - I read it in one sitting.

Jared is gay, living in a small town with his mum, brother and sister in law around him. His lonely though living in a small town doesn't hold much choice for a gay man.

Matt is new in town, his come to work for the local police department. He strikes up a friendship with Jared, but Matt is straight!! They spend more and more time together and get closer than expected.

It's not all plain sailing, it's what I would imagine is a very realistic tale where you have to come to terms with something you've been fighting all your life. If your looking for lots of hot gay sex, you'll have to wait a while as this book is spaced out really well. I loved how he didn't automatically know what to do, and sexual acts scared him but got him hot equally!

The side characters were all well written and added to the men's story. I really enjoyed how matt and jared spoke to each other especially in the early days with jokes like I didn't think gays liked football!!

This book is a well written romance, with m/m love and sex.

A strong four stars from me.
on 2 March 2015
I really enjoyed this story of self-discovery on the parts of both Jarred and Matt. One who is supposedly confident in his sexuality; one convinced that he is straight until both come together and discover they have both been living half an existence. This was a sweet and romantic read as they both come to terms with who they are and what they want out of life.
on 19 April 2014
What characterizes a good book is, among other things, that it urges you to continue reading. After two chapters I was totally absorbed and that for obvious reasons. The book is very well-written in a fairly rich language, the characters as such are believable and so is their development throughout the novel. The intimate passages are very hot, explicit and convincing. All these things make "Promises" into a very compelling read. It is in fact one of the best novels of this genre that I have ever read.
I highly recommend this most enjoyable love story.
on 25 December 2012
I' m writing catch up here because at the moment I' m trying to review some of the books I read when I first got into gay fiction and I don't know why it's taken me so long to get round to this excellent series that has been a keeper on my Kindle from day one. I absolutely love all the Coda books and characters and of course this as book one is the one that got me hooked. After reading this I practically devoured every one of them always deciding each time that each new one in the series was my new favourite but in retrospect I now know that each one has it's own special place in my heart and never delete list. I've read the whole series back to back a few times now and have never got bored - just more enthralled. So start with Jared and Matt, then make friends with Zach and Angelo and Jon and Cole. Gorgeously romantic love stories that just shine in their genre and Will definitely always be firm favourites for me. Fabulous!!!
on 20 February 2013
I enjoyed this book immensely, hooked from beginning to end and breezed through it in a day. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.