5.0 out of 5 stars Shoregrave is the place to be
Published on 11 Dec. 2012 by Kanachi

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5/5 Urban Fantasy with potential
Actually, this is a very decent urban fantasy which reminded me of La Vida Vampire by Nancy Haddock.

Published on 15 Nov. 2012 by kara-karina (Nocturnal Book Re...

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoregrave is the place to be, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Afterlife (Paperback)
Afterlife is the kind of book that makes you leap onto the web to write up your first review (so bare with me!). Now to my mind only two breeds of book implore such a response from its reader, those of exceptionally poor quality and those which draw you in so completely that for a few brief pages your lost in another world beyond and yet entwined completely with your own.

I'm extremely happy to report that Afterlife, the first book by Naomi Clark I've read, falls squarely into the second category. Just how good is it I hear you ask? Well allow me to demonstrate...

I'm lazy, exceptionally so - Especially when it comes to reading fiction. Oh I love a good read don't get me wrong but I somehow never find the time or hunger to dig my folk into a tasty tomb and nibble upon it's oh so yummy juices. Not so here.

A few hours into this fabulous story I pulled myself away from my screen, it was late, very late and with work awaiting me in the morning I knew that I would be lost without my direct feed into Shoregrave (our tales fantastic setting). So, I sprung into action - turning my pdf into a text file, removing all awkward formation which may occur as a result, downloading a text to speech program and converting the entire work into an mp3 (a process which left my computer whirring away while is lank off to bed, dreaming of vampires and the pale world beyond the mortal realm).

I awoke, immediately rushed to my computer and uploaded my newly constructed mp3 and the original pdf to my smart device. The rest of my day (in fact the next 2 and a half days) were spent shifting between the tale in these two formats. Listening when I couldn't read and reading when i had the opportunity to enjoy the written word.

I became an Afterlife addict, utterly intoxicated by Yasmin's tale and the host of other wonderful characters sharing the pages with her. The ease at which the story reads is wonderful, delivering you steady shots of literary adrenalin that press you onward to read "just one more page."

If I had to raise fault with the work I would say that the second to last 5th of the story jumps around a little more than I would have liked. Having long worked out the way the story was going to go (which was enjoyably foreboding) this particular section felt a little over drawn. This however never diminished the truly fantastic setting of Shoregrave or the incredibly well thought out ecology of the undead world (a truly interesting re-mix of the old tired formulas).

I've now departed Shoregrave, leaving it with a sorrowful farewell as i decend once more to the mundane realities of the real world... and yet a little piece lingers on within me, a magical excitement and fear which amidst my many day dreams merges our reality with that of the pale world and sparks the thoughts of adventure!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5/5 Urban Fantasy with potential, 15 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Afterlife (Kindle Edition)

Yasmin is a wraith who likes her peace and quiet, she is a bit antisocial actually and keeps a low profile which is a necessity in all her 600 years of living. She does ghost tours around Shoregrave so she won't get bored, has a buddy succubus and does a bidding of a crazy Lich Lord, an immortal unhinged necromancer.

She's got her routine of sucking the souls out of Revenants to keep her energy up and never hunts normal people when one night she sees a weird ghost of a girl which drags innocent people to Hell. Shocked and determined to stop her, Yasmin starts her investigation into this strange bloodthirsty spirit, acquiring a stubborn human private detective and a seductive ancient vampire as her partners in the process.

Of course there is more to it than it seems. Innocent girls get murdered in an ancient sacrifice, the great war is brewing in hell dimensions and her own Lich Lord it seems completely lost the plot...

Slightly unhinged, gory and sometimes pretty disgusting, funny and full of potential, - I say give Afterlife a go!

Afterlife
Afterlife by Naomi Clark (Paperback - 1 Dec. 2009)