5.0 out of 5 stars Amigurumi
Published on 10 Dec 2010 by E. Cottis

2.0 out of 5 stars Better books out there
I thought this would take me through step by step how to design from start to finish but you have to be fairly experienced to work through the "theory". Better off going direct to June's website and most of the time you are better off looking online for free advice and patterns.
Published 7 months ago by Royd

5.0 out of 5 stars Amigurumi, 10 Dec 2010
E. Cottis "cares for cats" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Idiot's Guide to Amigurumi, The (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback)) (Paperback)
As I have just come back to crocheting after such a long break have forgotten a lot of the stuff that I learnt. Even so this book also shows me things that I never knew before. This book will be invaluable and as I have bought this authors patterns before and found them very easy to follow with detailed instructions and pictures this will be an asset to making them so much easier although if you do have a problem with June Gilbank's patterns she is quite happy to explain further and if she notices a problem with her patterns will if needed send you the corrected pattern free of charge. It also shows you ways of making your Amigurumi look better and the embroidery stitches to embellish your Amigurumi as well, also how to add apliques without even having to sew them on by doing them direct to the amigurumi. This book also shows you how to design your own animals, etc by doing a simple picture and the shapes that are commonly used so that you are at least most of the way there to being able to do this. I see this book as someone that is experienced passing on the knowledge to encourage people in the possibilty of anything is possible.

It has also shown me that I hold my crochet hook wrong when I am making items but that is because I learnt how to crochet from the other side of the room when my friends mother was trying to teach her friend to crochet.

I am obviously aware of this authors work and was the main reason I bought the book as have seen her tutorials on how to do certain things and can honestly say they are explained so simply that even children are able to learn but are in no way patronising in any fashion and the book follows the same strategy as what she carries on her webpages. The only drawback is that we have had to wait an extra 2 months to be able to purchase this book and the terminology is the same as the what it was written for the US and Canadian markets.

This book is definately worth the money that is charged for it and will be a well used book in the future as it is such an invaluable source of information.

I do not know the author personally, or related to them, or any part of the team that put this book together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource for novice and expert alike, 15 Jan 2011
Chinatown Blue "cthulhoid" (S-O-T, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have to agree with the other reviewers, this is a first-class book for crochet enthusiasts and beginners too. It is designed so you can start anywhere you find appropriate; at the beginning for newcomers, who will find a very, very good introduction to all the techniques, terms and equipment involved, or with the sections on shapes and design for experienced crocheters who want to create their own designs. I had just started to experiment with making my own toy designs when I came across this, and it has helped me enormously. It does not cover just the crochet parts, but shows you how to work with embroidery to embellish toys, how to make jointed toys, how to make extra features with pipecleaners and a host of other very useful ideas. I have been doing crochet for over 30 years now and I still found new tips and techniques in this book. And it is all so well laid out and easy you could give this to kids of about 7 or 8 and they could start toymaking from scratch with it. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 23 Dec 2010
This is a great book for beginners and more experienced crocheters alike. I've been crocheting for nearly three years but there's tons of information so it makes a good everall reference. There's a few simple patterns in it too which are easy as i completed one of the patterns in about two hours :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good book for just starting amigurumi hobbyists., 8 July 2011
After buying several books a few years ago I tried Amigurumi and was completely stumped by it all. I found it to be very complicated and struggled endlessly so I gave up.
3 years on and I've decided to give it another go. I checked online for beginners guides and this book popped up, and it doesn't disappoint.
It explains the basics, has step by step instructions for what each stitch should look like and a few cute but simple patterns to try and is chocoblock with hints and tips.
Now admittedly, no matter how good a teaching book is, you need to do a lot of the leg work. It took me a fair few tries and several hours to get to grips with some of the most commonly used stitches, but I've finally got there and I've even made a misshapen hamster for my first try and I'm really pleased! With other books I've tried I ended up getting frustrated and had pretty much given up. A couple more practice Hamsters and I think I could move on to more complicated designs.

This is not a book for someone who already knows a thing or two about Crochet. I think a skilled crochet artist would find it pretty useless actually, but for someone like me it was a God send. It is like it says on the cover "A complete idiots guide" which is where I felt I was in terms of skill before I read this book. I can honestly recommend it to anyone just starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as the title suggests, 7 Jan 2013
An excellent book, highly recommended to anyone who fancies a try at this craft. I have a lot of experience in crochet and thanks to this book I have now fallen in love with making Amigurumi. The book itself however, is highly suitable for anyone less experienced in crochet. The text is easy to follow, illustrations are clear and the author has a "no mystery" approach to this way of using crochet to create fun items. Go on, have a go!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiots Amigurmi Guide, 6 July 2014
Amigurumi made so simple that nobody could not make them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank heaven for June, 27 Mar 2014
Mrs. J. D. Nolan "juliathemiller" (northumberland,UK) - See all my reviews
I have recently started amigurumi, and this book is heaven sent, it truly is the idiots guide. Even though I have crocheted for more years than I care to remember June explains everything simply but without insulting your abilities. If you want to amigurumi have this next to you it's BRILLIANT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 6 Mar 2014
Miss L. M. Preece (east sussex, england) - See all my reviews
really easy to follow with everything you would need to know to get started or learn new tips and tricks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, 11 Feb 2014
I found there was lots of information but as a complete beginner, I found it a little difficult to follow some of the photos. I used some online videos to get me started but this was still a very good guide to use along side. I will be keeping it to refer to it as I go along and it tells you all about the different tools required. Worth a purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better books out there, 9 Dec 2013