5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
We bought this as a follow on from the 'Baby Led Weaning' book as we are currently doing BLW with our 6 month old daughter. This recipe book is fantastic and is already very well used!

Published 16 months ago by Mrs Michelle E M Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good meal ideas
Published on 1 Feb 2011 by Victoria M

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 May 2013

I love the way that the book is divided into sections such as 'breakfasts', 'light lunches', 'salads', 'soups', 'mains - poultry' etc. It makes it very easy to find a recipe that will be appropriate and the recipes are all very simple and quick - perfect when you have a young baby on your hands at the same time!

At first I didn't think this book would be necessary - afterall the whole point of BLW is that baby can eat the same as you, right? However it can be hard at times to think of interesting, varied meals (we all cook the same 5 or 6 recipes over and over, don't we?) and this is really useful for ideas like how to get flavour without adding salt and how to prepare quick, non-messy breakfasts and how to make desserts healthy and nutritious.

There's also some really good general info on BLW, nutrition and the technical side of cooking (weights and measures etc) at the beginning.

Overall totally worth the money and a book I know I will use time and time again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good meal ideas, 1 Feb 2011
I bought this book on recommendation as I am planning to try baby-led weaning with my baby. I know the idea is that the baby can join in with suitably adapted family meals but I was looking for inspiration on the kind of things that could work and I think this book provides it. My baby isn't eating yet but the recipes look good and I have tried the Spanish apple cake (made with olive oil rather than butter) which looked a bit strange when I made it but is actually very tasty!

Edited later: I have now made a number of meals from this cookbook and while I still agree that the ideas and inspiration are good I have found that some of the recipes don't 'work' very well and I wonder if they haven't been as thoroughly tested as recipes from other cookbooks I own. I would still buy the book but trial the recipes before making for your baby and/or use as inspiration to adapt recipes from other sources. I have lowered my rating from 4 stars to 3 stars as a consequence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed, but still useful, 13 Nov 2011
Juliette (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of baby-led weaning but was a bit disappointed with the recipes in this book. They tended to be 'ok' rather than 'good' and there were some recipes that were definite misses. I ended up using the book for inspiration of the sort of thing that might work with a baby and finding better recipes for similar things elsewhere rather than using the recipes themselves. However if you are doing baby-led weaning I think the book is worth getting for the ideas alone anyway. If you are after good recipes to use for baby led weaning, I'd recommend the River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook instead (and dare I say it some of the Annabel Karmel books!).

I think the book could have been better organised for the early stages of baby-led weaning when your baby will have problems holding or chewing lots of things. I found it quite hard in the early days to find recipes which would be manageable. I think it'd have been nice if there had been a special section with ideas for the first two or three months, because after that your baby can eat pretty much anything anyway and you only really need recipes that don't have too much salt, any inappropriate ingredients etc. I'd also have liked a list somewhere of the recipes in the book that are really quick to make for when you are in a rush. It'd also have been nice to see an example menu plan for a week - I know the idea of baby led weaning is that it is meant to be flexible but my sleep-deprived brain could have done with a bit more hand-holding (and I had a baby who ate with gusto right from the word go so didn't feel I could just fob him off with a few rice cakes or steamed veg!). I felt like this book, although useful, was a bit of a missed opportunity.

I should add that one nice thing about the book is that his has a nice fairly concise explanation of baby led weaning. I had read the Baby Led Weaning book so didn't really need that, but it was useful for my husband who I don't think would have read the main book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 21 Nov 2010
I really like this book. It has good recipe ideas for each meal, and though it lacks pictures I feel it is a colourful and inspiring book for this method of weaning. The first few chapters summarise her other book on BLW, so if you just want to get the basic idea, this is all you need. (I'd recommend the other book if you want a more in-depth explanation of BLW, it's benefits and why it works etc.). Their emphasis has always been on getting your baby to eat what you eat and the recipes reflect that. There is a good section which explains the skills your baby will develop and at what age, and you can use this as a reference to plan what foods to give your baby. - From this she makes suggestions as to what they can manage easily and what foods you can give to challenge them (it's best to give a mixture of both). There is an emphasis in BLW to follow your baby, as they will all develop at different rates and I think this is why there is no 'week by week' guide as that would contradict this. For example my daughter has been able to eat roasted vegetable sticks competently since day one (at 5 and a half months), whilst I know other babies who have taken up to 2 months from starting to reach this stage.
The recipes are all healthy, and give good recipes for basics without using salt or sugar, which you don't find elsewhere (even annabel karmel toddler/finger foods usually have sugar or syrup in). I think this is a really nice 'annabel karmel' style book for BLW, which will really inspire you to use this method of weaning and how to adapt your normal diet to enable that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you are going the baby-led weaining route!, 1 Jan 2014
This cookbook is simply amazing if you are planning on doing baby-led weaning! The beginning has a good summary of baby-led weaning at the beginning, I gave it to my mom to read as it was something she was not familiar with. My daughter is 8 months, and we have been using this since 6 months, and she is getting on very well with solids. The recipes are very simple and yummy, even my husband has no problem cooking them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, recipes could be a little more international, 14 Nov 2013
The book is a good read, recipes unfortunately are too "british" if you know what i mean. Having eggs for breakfast it's not a habit we mediterraneans have, for example. Anyway the point is getting ideas and add some variety to the diet. In that respect the book is a good catalogue

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, easy to follow, 27 Jun 2011
E. Jones "Mumra" (UK) - See all my reviews
i bought both the baby led weaning books and have to say that this one is a much easier book to read, understand and act upon, especially as we all have very little spare time to read as new mummies!! everything the book discusses is working in practice as well. good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food for all the family!!, 21 Feb 2011
Amazing cook book, great recipes for all the family and our 6 month old loves baby-led weaning so much easier than other weaning methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars could not be without it, 24 Jan 2011
I started using this book when my daughter was about 9 months old. It was just the right time as we both got very frustrated with purees and mealtimes started to be really stressful. I love cooking and prepare almost everything from scratch but was lacking confidence to offer her more complex food and flavours. This collection of recipes and helpful little tricks and twists on how to offer food to little people turned everything around and we now have very joyful and relaxed mealtimes. I never ever thought she would love curries and other spicy food but she really does!
In the meantime I started back at work and the book became even more important, the recipes are easy and straight forward and really quick and simple to prepare. It`s all good everyday food and I just pick a list of meals from the book on the weekend, do the shopping and the cooking gets done after work in the evenings. Brilliant, it safes me a lot of time and headache looking up ideas from different sources and the food tastes really good!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab book - not too pushy, 16 Jan 2011
Some baby-led weaning books I've got from the library are very pushy and try and tell you that buying baby food in jars is a sin, and generally make mums who go out to work feel like failures before we even start. This one gives advice, but it's really easy to make recipes that can be used for mum and dad's dinner as well as baby's. All of the recipes seem really tasty and there is a nice range. If you aren't really into that baby-led weaning thing right from the word go, then you can just blitz the recipes up in a blender and it's a healthy way of getting baby to eat things that are easy for you to deal with.

The only fault I would say is that it says you can make batches of the recipes, but then doesn't give you tips on whether the specific recipe is suitable to freeze like the Annabel Karmel books do. Depends what you're looking for, but I recommend a copy of this and a copy of Annabel Karmel's baby and toddler book and you won't need anything else.