5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book - must read for all mothers
I am currently reading this book and felt the need to write a review as it's wonderful. We are often told that "they are no manuals for parents" but I feel this is the closest to a "manual" that a mother will get. It should be essential reading for all new mothers.

I ordered the book to help me deal with the impact of an emotionally absent mother. However as...
Published on 15 Aug. 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Making excuses for emotionally unavailable mothers
I'm sorry to say this so bluntly but I felt it was really one long excuse for poor mothering - think of how difficult it must have been for your mother when she didn't have all the love she needed either. Outrageous! Personally, I feel a therapist that tries to distract you from how hurt you are by trying to engage your empathy for your mother, is a person who has not...
Published 4 months ago by Charlie

5.0 out of 5 stars made me feel better, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Emotionally Absent Mother: A Guide to Self-Healing and Getting the Love You Missed (Paperback)
I never realised that what I was feeling was understood. I researched my feelings on the internet and was introduced to this book. I wasn't sure it was for me but since reading it I realise that there are others in the same state. I feel less guilty and more understood and relieved of the burden of keeping my feelings to myself, cos friends don't want to know when you moan about your mother, esp when she appears to be a little frail old lady that can't harm a fly, they are inevitably 'on her side'. I now feel I am justified.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 12 Feb. 2013
This book has helped me so much. It has set me on a beautiful healing journey. It is a journey not overnight healing but it feels lasting and solid.
This book is not about blame nor does it pretend to make everything right, it is very down to earth and realistic.
The author has a deep understanding of motherhood and of the problems that may occur. It has not only helped me to heal the relationship with my mother but it has helped me to become a better mother too

5.0 out of 5 stars engaging book, 21 Oct. 2014
Found this a thoroughly engaging read . On a personal level it has helped provide a theoretical context to my own experiences and I found the self help strategies for healing the mother wound a great resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough book, easy to read, 19 Sept. 2013
This book is well-written, straightforward and comprehensive. It also had some helpful exercises to work through. Does what it says on the tin really!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read..., 8 Mar. 2014
A book every parent, guardian, politician and every professional working with children must read if we are to improve society.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpfull, 20 Jan. 2013
Really enjoed it, recomend to anyone who feels there was something wrong about the way he was raised. Showed me how important having nurturing mother is and the consequences of her absence. Very good book, I put her amongst Toxic Parents S. Forward or author like Bradshaw. Looking forward to read other her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers a lot of questions., 17 Jan. 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book and found it's format clear and helpful.

he author managed to make me me think about issues I had long forgotten, which other books had not done. It really helped to explain a lot to me and answer many questions which have been left unanswered in my head for years.

I could see this book being helpful to a number of other people I know and would definately reccommend it to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, 3 Feb. 2014
I really liked this book. the author brings together views from different authors all in one and explains them in an understandable way. gave me insights into why I do things certain way but also why some of my friends or intimate others react the way they do. you will not hate your mother at the end of the book; you will understand her a lot better and hopefully will help you become a better parent and spouse yourself

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for personal need, but to better understand another, 17 April 2013
S. M. Howard - See all my reviews
Being fortunate to have been brought up by loving parents, I looked for something to better understand what made my partner tick and if there was anything that could provide thoughts and ideas to help him dealing with his childhood. This book is not totally the solution but is very useful and practical

2.0 out of 5 stars Need to be committed., 21 Feb. 2014
Do not be mislead by the photo on the cover. Firstly this is printed in the USA and you need to be familiar with that sort of terminology or you will be confused immediately. The introduction itself takes some reading and the rest of the contents need a great deal more. If as a result of an emotionally absent mother you find it difficult to concentrate then this will do nothing for you. It isn't straightforward and will be of more use to those wanting to understand those who had an 'absent' mother rather than the child of one. The picture says it all, but look elsewhere perhaps for the answer. If you are the adult child of an alcoholic then this will not address the problem unless you already have a great deal of healing under you belt. I was disappointed but then the cost was small and you can't always be sure what you will get.