5.0 out of 5 stars Superb in Every Way
Published 11 months ago by Wilum Hopfrog Pugmire, Esq.

3.0 out of 5 stars As boring as the tomb
Needlessly academic and exhaustive.
I read that this version restored 150-thousand words.
I think they could've been well missed. As it was, I skipped over huge swaths of text once the author started describing Lovecraft's involvement in the amateur press ad nauseum.
Published 6 months ago by Deejayway

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb in Every Way, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H. P. Lovecraft, Volume 1 (Paperback)
The two volumes of I AM PROVIDENCE bring us Lovecraft's life and times in an almost intimate way. S. T. Joshi, through his study and editorial work on Lovecraft's fiction, through his editing of all of Lovecraft's extant letters and essays, has a keen understanding of the author and his soul. Joshi does not hesitate to deal with the intellectual ugliness of Lovecraft's grotesque racism, and he is critical of many of the stories, while at the same time shewing conclusively the power and originality of Lovecraft's genius. The book is free of agenda, focusing on the reality of Lovecraft's life, art and philosophy. The book is superbly written and organized. I have now read the book three times, and dipped into portions continuously. This marvelous book helps to shatter the ignorant myths concerning Lovecraft's assumed eccentricities, revealing HPL to be an ordinary fellow with an extraordinary imagination. Deeply flawed, profoundly fascinating, H. P. Lovecraft lives in the pages of this magnificent and flawless biography.

3.0 out of 5 stars As boring as the tomb, 20 May 2014
Needlessly academic and exhaustive.
I read that this version restored 150-thousand words.
I was more interested in his youth and the events that informed and shaped his writing, not every scintilla of amateur journalsim he wrote.
Lovecraft simply doesn't warrant this kind of microscopic scrutiny.
I'm very dubious about getting part two.

2.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 29 Sep 2013
N. Dutton (Newcastle, Staffs, UK) - See all my reviews
It is quite hard to know where to start with a review of this lengthy, tedious and at times amateurish biography of a writer who should be a fascinating subject. In its attempts to record everything the author knows about Lovecraft (with some good old speculation thrown in too) it resembles a bad fanzine. Joshi's frequent first person references to himself are tiresome in the extreme and, unless you are particularly fascinated by the minutia of pulp letters page controversies and amateur journalism, much of the book is profoundly dull.The best parts are the discussions of the stories themselves and even here there is little added to Joshi's notes to the Penguin editions of Lovecraft's work. Volume one ends in 1924 with Lovecraft's marriage in the process of unravelling and leaving this reader with a dilemma: do I buy volume 2 to learn more about the final years of Lovecraft's life when most of his outstanding work was written- and if so can I cope with another 500 pages of very indifferent biographical writing?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 July 2014