on 12 January 2014
I received this book today and I love it so far! It collects Prisoners of Time Volumes 1, 2 and 3 and follows the Doctor through all (at the time) eleven of his incarnations with a common threat linking each of them together. The plot of the book is clever and the resolution is satisfying, it's a shame it can never be made into a tv story! I find the writers and artists have done well to capture the mannerisms of each Doctor although sometimes they may say or do something a little out of character. The only Doctor who appears (visually) a little strange is the 8th Doctor, the artist hasn't really captured Paul McGann's likeness in the same way the others have which is a shame but doesn't spoil the story. As all Doctors up to the (at the time) current eleventh incarnation are featured, this reminds me very much of "The Forgotten", another multi-doctor story giving them each their own chance shine. I particularly like the arc running throughout the book, it links the stories together but doesn't feel like too much as sometimes arc-heavy storylines can detract from the individual stories or episodes. The hardback presentation of this book is very nice and the summaries of each Doctor at the end of each chapter offer a brief insight into their respective eras. A fitting tribute in the 50th anniversary year!
on 24 January 2014
This hardback collection of all 12 issues of IDW's Doctor Who:Prisoners Of Time is quite frankly a fantastic celebration of the time travelling madman with a box.

The format is fairly simple, each issue focuses solely on one of the 11 incarnations of the Doctor - issue 1 William Hartnell, Issue 2 Patrick Troughton and so on. Whilst the issues consist on the whole of stand alone stories each installment ends with a cliffhanger. The danger with this approach is that it runs the risk of becoming a bit tiresome as the series progresses - fortunately the writers obviously thought of this and there are gradually introduced developments along the way.

Without spoiling to much the basic story involves a mysterious hooded figure who is attacking the various versions of the Doctor across his life-span and kidnapping his companions (this usually follows the main adventure of each issue). Surprisingly the villain is unmasked in Issue 9 although to explain why would give the game away (maybe I just did?!)

It is only the 11th Doctor who doesn't get his own standalone tale. It is his job to take the reader to the finale of the piece in Issue 12.

I would rate the chapters/issues in order of favourites as follows:-

Issue 3 - my favourite. This 3rd Doctor tale captures the feel of a 70's adventure perfectly with UNIT figuring heavily.
Issue 9 - the revelation, at last!
Issue 10 - the 10th Doctor visiting 1950's Hollywood and encountering an old foe of the 2nd Doc.
Issue 11 - fills in all the gaps, Matt Smith style!
Issue 7 - an atmospheric tale set in Scotland.
Issue 6 - appearance by an old foe who plays a key role in the overall arc. Cameo by the 10th Doctor.
Issue 1 - good introduction to the event.
Issue 2 - 2nd Doctor, Jamie and Zoe - with Ice Warriors!
Issue 5 - my favourite TARDIS crew from classic Who but this story didn't grip me.
Issue 4 - didn't blow me away. Enough said!
Issue 8 - okay tale however I didn't like the artwork.

An excellent collection.
on 30 March 2014
What an amazing and epic story. I liked how each episode keeps wanting me to know more. As each episode progressed the more the villain revealed his or herself. and when that villain was revealed it was a completely unexpected but plausible surprise. I have been enjoying IDW Doctor Who publications since its birth and this anniversary edition exceeded all expectations. I enjoyed the artist version of the Doctors and I welcome the their artistic impression of the actors that portrayed them. But for die hard fans, in my opinion the drawing of the 2nd, 10th and 11th Doctor were the most accurate.
I thoroughly recommend this book to any Doctor Who fan from 6 to 60 years old and beyond!
on 12 May 2014
My first Doctor Who comic book and what a lovely way to start. It covers all the Doctors up to 11 (apart from the War Doctor) and celebrates their little eccentricities. We meet loads of companions and "monsters" and everyone is drawn skilfully. Also, the actual enemy is a clever choice, not one you would expect to reappear.
All in all, a great way to celebrate 50 years of our good Doctor and an entertaining read.