Format: Paperback|Change

The stories from issues #5-8 of IDW's Star Trek comic book are collected as Star Trek Volume 2. These are two two-issue stories, the first, from issues #5 and #6, is a retelling of the original TV episode `Operation Annihilate', in which a Federation colony world is invaded by telepathic parasites which rapidly assimilate the human colonists. As with the original, when a landing party beams down, Mr Spock is infected. What may be new, as I can't remember the original plot, is that the landing party are helped by one of the humans who has not yet succumbed to the aliens - one George Kirk, Jimmy's big brother. We also get a bit of flashbacking to the aftermath of the scene in the original film involving the joyride with the sports car (which belonged to Jimmy's father) along with a bit of fleshing out of the (maternal) uncle and mother (`Winona').

The second story is an original one - "Vulcan's Vengeance" - which involves a plot by a secretive group to acquire the plans to the Narada, Nemo's future starship, along with the sample of the Red Matter retrieved by the Vulcans when searching the debris of their homeworld. After rescuing the Vulcan science vessel attacked by the group, the Enterprise must pursue the assailants into the Neutral Zone before they can deliver the secrets to the Romulans. However, everything is not as it seems... We get to visit the Romulan homeworld in this story, as it would have been in the original TV series. I recognised some of the Romulan uniforms, having co-incidentally just re-viewed the original TV episode that introduced them to us the same day as I found this volume in the library.

These are very-well told stories, with good art and scripting. These characters really do feel like the crew from the recent film(s), and the stories feel as if they are set in the same universe and continuity.
on 10 October 2013
As I have mentioned in my review of Vol.1 of this new ST series, the comics seem way too short and are more of a rehash of the original stories with little changes here and there.
However this one grabbed my attention as it includes a new story relating to the first film of the new ST series.
I wont spoil it for you but a surprisingly good story that could have been a great standalone volume.
on 15 August 2013
Just as vol 1 this was great better than I have expected and will most definitely be diving deep into the rest of the books
on 27 February 2013
I really enjoyed this volume,albeit too slim. The artwork was very well done and the panels were easy to adjust as you just double tap (for those who may have difficulty reading) I like that they take an original story from the tv series and make it fresh to fit the "new" crew. Looking forward to the sequel!
on 18 March 2013
ALL 3 OF THE VOLUMES ARE A GOOD READ. They tie in well with the original series and an interesting conection to the first film by Abrahams.
on 28 July 2013
Plays like a movie, read and enjoy the changes. I will be downloading some more of these to my kindle
on 29 June 2016
Based on the star trek alternative. Timeline
artwork very good
on 29 December 2012
3 stars for the story. 5stars for the app .very easy to use and great for younger readers..keep it up cyberspace everywhere.
on 30 March 2013
comments exactly the same for volume 1; not a book to be read on Kindle but must be held in the hand
on 10 December 2012
Was looking forward to reading the next Star Trek episode but was disappointed to find that this book is in comic book format and as such is too small to be easily read on the Kindle page.
There is nothing in the product description saying that it is a comic book and I feel that it should not be offered in Kindle format.
Apart from being too small to read, the illustrations appear not in colour but in black and white, losing the benefits of a comic book presentation.
Had to return it for credit, much to my disappointment, although I may now send for the hard copy.