Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2012
I've read several of Robert's books before and I am a fan of the Rich Dad philosophy; I've found previous books inspiring and educational and have created an asset column as a result of them. Not so this one.

Firstly, if you aren't a US citizen then avoid this book altogether because much of it is spent talking about the 401(k), not paying tax on real estate investments, and other US tax loopholes. For a UK reader, there is nothing to be gained from this at all.

Most disappointing though is the way in which Robert sneers at anyone who hasn't done what he has. He laughs at the poor, he looks down at the middle class and he pities those who work or are self employed. Much of the books is spent gloating about his 300 condo deal, or his golf course. It reads not as someone trying to educate, but as a self-congratulatory boast. Any traces of humility from previous books has disappeared and it really is a horrible and uncomfortable read from that perspective.

In terms of ideas, there isn't anything new that Rich Dad readers won't have gleaned from previous books. The content is all in the title - if you want an unfair advantage then get some financial education; that's it. The book doesn't give you financial education,just reiterates that you need it.

Overall, a disappointing waste of money.
on 26 May 2011
I've read several of Robert Kiyosaki's books and this one is a clear summary with more detail of all the rest. I'm completely sold on the message, when I first read Rich Dad Poor Dad 10 years ago, it was like he was articulating what I already believed about money and financial freedom.

However, even though the message is spot on, and it really gets across the mindset that people need to become financially free, one issue I have with this book and all his others is the way its written. I would hate to be one of Robert's friends or family, as the way he refers to them sometimes is like they're dumbasses who failed where he succeeded. He talks very arrogantly about how himself and all the rich are so much smarter than all the "monkeys" out there, how it makes him "sick" when people ask him to lunch to "pick his brains" and keeps highlighting it not cool to brag, but writes in a way which does come across like that.

Also, he tries to paint a picture of himself as altruistic, he invests in oil but because he cares about the environment he takes some of those profits and invests in green energy, how much we don't know, but somehow he tries to justify that he's doing it for the good of the planet and not to make lots of money. A lot of the altruistic points he weaves into the book seem a little half hearted, and more for PR, when he spends so much time in the book talking about how much money he plans to make (and I remember in his last book I read he set the goal of becoming a billionaire before he died) - what's more important? Being a billionaire or making the world a better place? With this book and previous ones it's unclear to say for sure which values are more important to him, and now that he's associated himself with Donald Trump, if you can tell a lot about a person by the type of people they hang around with, I'd suspect the altruistic points he tries to make are more for PR than genuine values, just like the Trump. Its OK to just want to be rich, but in order to avoid too much critism it appears Robert is trying to convince everyone he's not just interested in money, which if he isn't, is done very poorly.

And that unfortunately for me is the issue I have with this book and all his previous ones, you can't get people to listen to your message if you talk to them like they're stupid, and you can't build trust if it's unclear where your values really lie. This book reminds me of Richard Dawkins The God Delusion, again a book that articulated my beliefs, but did so in such an arrogant way that it even turned me off from reading it for too long let alone a true believer.

The key messages are fantastic and I hope everyone can learn them some day, but while I'm sure millions of people have read his books and love them, I'm not sure the way they're delivered are really going to engage the other 6.5billion people, the friends and family of mine who I'd love to teach about this stuff but I know will get turned off by the way it's written. If his mission is really to educate a new generation of entrepreneurs (which is very alturistic and admirable) he really needs to address these issues in his writing.
44 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2011
I bought this book thinking I would learn something new. This book is a lot of copy and paste of other Rich Dad Material. If you have read other Rich Dad books then you will find it is like reading the same stuff over and over again. I gave 1 star because I really think Robert can do a better job than this. I have bought all his books and this one is like little clips of all the other books.
I hope Robert can make a new book with some new ideas and thoughts. Listening to the same old over and over again is not fun.
on 16 April 2011
Having read a lot of Robert Kiyosaki's books, I have to say this is one of his best! People who have read his books will find more of the same but this time with more detail that has been so sadly lacking in previous books. Put together in an easy to follow format this book removes a lot of the anecdotes from previous books and gives you the information straight up. Don't get me wrong Robert still frames things with references to his past and in gaining his own financial education - but there is much less of it and this book is to the point. A must buy for Rich Dad fans!
on 12 December 2015
I found an answer that I needed in my present circumstance in this book, but I tribute it to God, this answer was "Being a capitalist is about being generous. Try to give as much as you can for as less as you can to the market"

That being said this book sounds like a sales letter. I can feel it being myself a copywriter, but I also know it for a fact as a sales representative of the Rich Dad Coaching program told me to read the book before applying to the program (when he figured I didn't have the money to make an emotional purchase over phone, but that's another story)

If this is the first book from Robert K You read, it is worth buying, since all his doctrine is presented here. However in my opinion the best book and the only one one should read is The Midas Touch, that he co-wrote with Donald Trump. I knew it was the only book I needed after reading it but out of curiosity I bought Unfair Advantage 5 months after. And I have to say that the admiration I have for Robert K massively dropped.

Two words : arrogant guru. The Midas Touch gives you a powerful outlook on the world in all meekness. But this book tries to jail you in a framework, in his models. He sets life milestones that fits what he wants to sell you and tells you to change your lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with giving practical advices but I call the way he does it "the guru way". Keep your critical thinking radar ON while reading, don't let yourself be hypnotized.

The critic could be long, but to make my review short, what disqualifies him as a coach is that he has the "you can't make it without going through what I've through syndrom" deep within him. This shaped his whole book and his whole Rich Dad business. It's not about your potential, it's about his financial education, his preparation program, his models - that by the way you really need to invest in, he stresses it the written-hypnosys way at least 50 times.

The purpose of this book is to make you feel unprepared and to sell you his financial education products. My advice : buy the Midas Touch and stick to it. Read it 5 times, this is the only book you need. I have highlighted over 100 passages. Don't buy Unfair Advantage and I'd even say don't buy a coaching program from him.

Contrary to what he tells you, you don't need to sit 3 years in his program to be an entrepreneur. You don't need to learn and then act, you need to learn as you act. You need to process feedback quickly as Donald Trump puts. You have no customers ? Review your sales copy, pricing and product and learn about this in books, and if needed seminars and private calls with experts. No investor is willing to fund you ? Learn about what you missed (The Midas Touch will tell you everything you need on that subject). And so on and so on. As Donald Trump says : your company is your business school. You will fail if you don't treat it as such.

To give you an idea, in 1 month only, I had to create 2 products, test 3 pricings, and try 3 marketplaces to make 1 sale and earn 4$. But boys, I learned so much !!! In your case you could have it all right and make 100$ the first day. But the thing is Robert K wants to put you in a framework lasting for years, While you just need the correct mindset (The Midas Touch + a commitment to learning fastly and meekness), to make it happen.

The reason I write this review is because I'm afraid this book might kill the entrepreneurial spirit within many people. Robert K should try to elevate people instead of playing with their weaknesses to upsell them (who is more likely to read every book, buy trainings and find excuses to postpone his decision than someone aspiring to be an entrepreneur). This is why I find Robert K unethical after talking with his Rich Dad Sales Team and reading this book. This person is no longer in the business of educating people but is in the business of making money.

The only thing highly valuable in this book is the worldview on life and the perpective on how to build wealth that are presented. But there are also presented in The Midas Touch and it is in my opinion 100 times better to read about them in that book.
on 5 May 2015
Thank you Robert for your unselfish giving of information. I think your message is very clear and inspiring to ' Get on with educating yourself' in finance, so you can give more to the world.
I have a direction now and an aim rather than feeling rudderless.
I come from a very educated family and have reached the pinnacle , but found myself asking 'is that it?'.
Now that answer is not yes...I always knew there was a part of the jigsaw missing....this is it!
I would thoroughly recommend this book and Robert's advice. Thank you once again.
on 12 August 2014
Disappointed with this one, i like Robert Kiyosaki, Rich dad poor dad 1 & 2 were good, he's not a skilled writer but makes some good points, observations and teaches some good skills, the cashflow 101 webgame is really good and i still play it from time to time, Unfair advantage really is just repetitive and explains what an unfair advantage is in several situations? its not really much help especially if you've read his other titles and visited his websites, come on Robert you should be getting better not worse
on 5 March 2012
The book is a motivational book, it s an invitation to buy his other books and games to know more.
At the end of this book you know so little bit, than you rush to buy other books and games to know more.
There are also seminars made by him to show you more about how you built your fortune, but I think we have to buy and to buy to know more, this is how, for one part (i believe), he is rich. This will not stop me buying his books and his games to know more. May be one day I will buy a seminar, he is may be a good adviser.
on 6 September 2011
Robert Kiyosaki's very readable and down to earth insights, based on decades of experience, bring reality to the chaos in the world of finance today and shows why the rich will get richer while the rest of us pay for it.
Financial education is the only thing I can see that might pull the world out of its problems. If this isn't essential reading for everyone I don't know what is!
The present chaos is actually good in the long term because finally the truth is coming out. For hundreds of years it has been the rich who provide employment, Goverments have lost the plot and are reduced just to fire fighting and playing with symptoms but without solving the real problems.
He has changed my life - how about you?
on 16 October 2014
I am a big fan of robert kiyosaki books. Rich Dad Poor Dad is one of my favourite books ever.

This book however does give some good examples and knowledge but most of it just talks about why having financial eduction is needed. It repeats itself a lot throughout and regurgitates information over and over.

I would still recommend a read if you like Other Robert Kiyosaki books but this is not his best