Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Negima! Magister Negi Magi 38
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

And so, my favourite manga comes to an end and while many fans were left unfulfilled and annoyed at the way it ended, I personally think it finished reasonably well compared to some other series I have read. It is a bit of a shame that the series ended how it did but I do feel that everything that this doesn't detract from what came before and 'Negima!' is still an utterly brilliant series.

This final volume can be split into three parts. The first section of the volume sees the completion of the Sports Festival arc and sees the girls of 3-A attempt to get the name of the girl he likes out of Negi. The Sports Festival arc is somewhat maligned by fans as it returns the series to the more comedic style of the first couple of volumes. Personally I find this arc quite funny in places with some nice gags (although some do fall a little flat, such as Chizuru's Artefact) and an interesting look at how the 3-A girls can work together when they want to. We also see Akira finally getting a pactio.

The second section sees Asuna have to undertake her duty to help stabilize the Magic World. This is an incredibly emotional section of the volume and probably has some of the saddest scenes in the entire manga. This section does a very good job of showing how much Asuna means to everyone, as well as how much they mean to her (the sections involving Asuna and Ayaka's relationship are especially moving). This section is brilliantly done and I personal think that it is worth a full five stars all on its own.

The final part of the volume is the epilogue set seven years after the series proper. The epilogue sees Makie's younger brother request help of Yue to track down an underwear thief. This is an entertaining epilogue, if a little light, that has a brief but fun battle. The epilogue finishes with information on what the various characters do after the end of the series and while some fans were disappointed with the ultimate fate of many of the girls (Chisame and Akira especially) I quite like them.

The main bad point about this volume are that it is somewhat rushed and this is somewhat understandable if some of the rumours surrounding the end of the series are true. As well as this there are still a lot of unanswered questions and missed potential in the series with our final look at the Class Roster hinting at the many adventures that were missed. There is a note from Ken Akamatsu at the beginning of the volume saying that he would like to come back to the series one day but more resent interviews have stated that he is thinking of retiring when his next series (to start sometime in Summer 2013) finishes

The volume also includes the usual author's notes, translation notes and fan art.

Overall I loved this series and while this final volume could have been a hell of a lot better, I did still enjoy it and can give it nothing less than a full five stars.
on 23 December 2013
after reading the good and bad reviews on the last book, i was a tiny bit scared of finishing the series, feeling it may leave something out that will drive me mad,
tho to be honest i quite like the ending, there is a few things it does leave out that i wish was talked about, and shown, and also i wish we could see more of some of the students, as some didn't really have such a big role.

Ken being one of my favourite manga makers, does say in the *word from the author* section that there may be a continued series in the future, and if he had to finish each thread left, it wold take for ever (not that i mind!)

In the end, he had his deadlines, and he made yet another masterpiece, a must have for any manga collection. There is also another series of Negima!?neo out now witch reboots the series.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 June 2015
This is a great series and this is a great conclusion to the series. I've lost count of how many times I've read this series and it is still always a great read. The art is great, the girls are cute and Negi is awesome. Chamo kun is probably my favourite character though. The antics of that perverted ermine never fail to amuse. Most of all though the story is epic, funny and really exciting. You will not be disappointed by this ending.
on 2 June 2013
to sum this up it is a great end to the series,the ending leaves a lot of threads hanging but if you have read the series up to this point it is worth it
on 20 July 2014
i am a little disappointed with this book it is a okay read and the print is good but i think the ending could have been brtter
on 4 March 2014
My 21 yr old son loves these books. he nearly has the whole set now. Just a few issue missing.