4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 19 Feb 2014
E. Staines (South West - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Steves' Northern Europe Cruise Ports (Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports) (Paperback)
As a first time cruiser I needed information on 5 ports in the Baltic that our ship would be visiting. This book told me in quite close detail (like how to get from vessel to various "popular" locations ashore without using expensive tour companies) what I wanted to know. It would have been five stars had it not been for the fact that one port I was to visit had not been included - not entirely the fault of the book of course! An excellent book - mine of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right book, 16 Dec 2013
Su Turley (Worthing, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book covers all the ports of call one could need on a Northern Europe cruise, pleased I purchased it

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive book for Baltic Cruise, 9 Mar 2014
We are going on a cruise to the Baltic ports this summer and this book has proved to be very well written and informative about cruising and the places we will be visiting. There are lots of useful tips about boarding, what to expect on ship, what clothes needed, disembarking, avoiding spending a fortune over and above basic price of the cruise, where to find ATMs in ports, what to see and how long is needed to see it properly, how to work out your own trips in ports by walking, using buses or trains and which ports are better seen with organised trips from the ship (such as St Petersburg).
Rick Steve suggests that you rip out the sections you want for each destination rather than taking the whole book everywhere and says the book is designed to be taken apart. Admittedly, there are many other ports such as Amsterdam and Oslo which we will not be going to on this cruise but I am pretty averse to dismantling a book, especially as we might visit other places in the future. The book isn't amazingly bulky or heavy (20cms x 11cms x 3cms approx.) but this feature would appeal to some travellers.
The only downside to this book is that it is written from the perspective of an American traveller, which can be irritating occasionally. For instance: "When deciding where to eat be aware that table service in Europe is slow - sometimes painfully so - by American standards. Don't expect to dine and dash but you can try explaining to the waitstaff that you're in a hurry."
However, overall I would definitely recommend this book...I will update my review after the cruise!

ARRAY(0xab971d38)