Format: Paperback|Change

I must admit I first bought this as a joke gift for christmas; I skimmed a few pages of the hard copy version and decided I had to read it all on my Kindle. How to sharpen pencils is a light hearted look at the world of professional pencil sharpening. Over the course of the book you are instructed on the correct use of all manner of pencil sharpeners and how to deliver the perfect point to potential customers; or to astound small children.

Its whimsical but at the end of the book I actually googled to work out how much was accurate and found an entire world dedicated to sharpening pencils and pencil sharpeners that cost utterly crazy sums of money.

Its a fun read and worth your time.
on 3 August 2012
This book is unbelievably informative and amusing. How anyone can produce such a lot of information about sharpening a pencil, I have no idea but David Rees has successfully done so. He deserves acclaim of the highest order!
on 27 September 2012
It is good.

It has helped me re-kindle my love for pencils. And for wine that pairs with pencils.

What a life saver.
on 16 May 2012
Well, as a technical writer, this book caught my attention. I use pencils every day. They are one of my most important tools for communicating. So when this book came along I, like most people, thought it was just another one of those 'joke' books. However it is most certainly not. This books tells you how to sharpen a pencil. This is a task we all have done at some point in our life but have you ever thought about the process? Well this book makes you think about the process. Along the way it also tells you about the world of pencils.

Yes, some of the detail does go too far but at the same time there is an almost zen-like process around this task, very similar to the ancient tea making procedures from China and Japan.

I would recommend this book for anyone who has any 'geek' in them or to any man-servants to wealthy people who have more money than sense and who want their pencils sharpened professionally.

This book made me smile.

David Rees is a nutter but a good nutter.
on 1 February 2016
Bought as a Christmas gift this book has been causing hilarity and beautiful, artisanally sharpened pencils since the present was opened. I hadn't realised just how much difference having a properly sharpened pencil could make to my life and I will never return to standard pencil sharpeners ever again. I am informed that the exercise section gives a well rounded and thorough work out for those who wish to take their sharpening just that little bit further and finding one of the bottles in the wine section to add to the gift was a wonder that will remain with me. Thoroughly recommended.
on 13 May 2014
But I got really into it. Then he told me he had actually had lessons on the subject and started critiquing the book.
Excellent.
on 23 April 2016
I wasn't even aware that pencils could be sharpened until I got this excellent book, I must have thrown away so many blunt pencils over the years, if only I could have those pencils back again, I would have done things so differently.
This book is bizarrely obsessive and fun, with just a smidgen of practical information. As you'll discover there's rather more to the apparently simple act of sharpening a pencil than most people every realise.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 April 2013
Straight to the point - I was searching for a used copy of the latest edition of "What Colour is your Anorak?" when I came across this stupendous jewel of a book.

Now my life is much better. I no longer worry about the small things. Or the big things. Or the things between big and small things.

Having the perfect pencil is more important than putting food on the table. Nobody kicks sand in my face on the beach anymore. I drive a Ferrari with its own automatic pencil sharpener.

And I owe it all to this book.
on 1 July 2013
Intelligent, witty and all about sharpening pencils.
It really tickled me.
I'm tempted to track down the wine from the wine tasting section.
And sharpen some pencils.