4.0 out of 5 stars Playing With Fire
From the product description I got the impression that this was historical-romance-fantasy. Actually there is no fantasy element as all the supposed witchcraft/sorcery stuff has a rational explanation.

Published 16 months ago by Mrs. D. J. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Fire Dance
Published on 24 July 2011 by Mrs. Clancy M. Ellis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Playing With Fire, 9 Dec 2012
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

We're looking at a Norman historical setting, during the reign of William II (Rufus). This isn't so much a period of interest for me as some later periods and I haven't read an awful lot about it either fiction or non-fiction, so if there are any glaring anachronisms, I've not picked up on them. That said, I think Jacobs is more concerned with her narrative than in giving us much of the minutiae of Norman life.

Overall it was a good read with well drawn characters that you sympathised with (well, except the ones you weren't supposed to!). The hero is almost too good to be true and you do have to wonder why the heroine thinks she has to keep some of the secrets she does. But, as another reviewer has already noted, it would be rather a short story if the didn't! Worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fire Dance, 24 July 2011
Mrs. Clancy M. Ellis "Vampgirl" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Dance (Kindle Edition)
This would have been a much better read if the heroine hadn't been keeping a secret for no apparent reason. Alright it would have shortened the story somewhat but there was no need for her not to tell the hero and I found it very irritating! This was obviously an inexperienced author trying to make it suspenseful but failing woefully by keeping the secret going too long as any idiot could see as soon as he knew everything would be resolved, silly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell of a story!, 1 Jun 2011
Old Romantic (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Dance (Kindle Edition)
Poor Melisande has had a hell of a life with her evil father. His wickedness knows no bounds and he has even caused the death of her mother by gifting her with a poisonous cloak. Thank goodness he is now dead. Unfortunately as he gasps his last the Normans are at the gate. Alain De Crency has orders from King William II (Rufus) to take both the castle and the daughter as his wife.

Melisande hides in plain sight as one of the servants, protected by her people. Alain is attracted to the young girl but knows that it is his duty to marry Melisande who seems to have disappeared.. To make matters worse Alain has also taken a fancy to the poisonous cloak and wears it constantly. Whatever she does Melisande is unable to part him from it. She knows he will not believe it toxic and even when he realises her identity and marries her she is unable to tell him. She is haunted by demons which invade her sleep terrifying her. While Alain and his knights battle Saxons endangering the castle to make the area safe for his King who is on his way north, he tries to make sense of his wife.

Delle Jacobs is a new author to me and I really enjoyed this story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Run-of-the-Mill Stuff, 19 Sep 2013
Thomas Elce (Nottinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone who's read a dozen books knows how a book like Fire Dance goes: a man takes on the task of undermining a sorcerer (or king, as it more often is), meets his daughter, becomes bessotted, gets torn between his "burning desire" for her and his given job, eventually falls in with her side and so on -- and of course she loves him too (what else would she do?). Delle Jacobs throws a few spanners into the works with a poison chalice, er, cloak and the usual "will they, won't they?" stuff, but she never quite enlivens the story. As with Faerie, it's her graceful, sympathetic writing style that catches your eye with its palpable concern for the fates of its multiple characters and the execution of dialogue that so many writers in this genre haven't a hope in hell of matching. Unfortunately, she's seen where her success lies in terms of publishing and marketing, and sticks with the same path even when the story if so run-of-the-mill and uninteresting when you strip it of its fluorishes. It's a nice book -- better than Faerie and worse than Loki's Daughters -- that I couldn't see anyone hating. However, three books in and I have to say that Jacobs just doesn't do it for me, so sayonara.

3.0 out of 5 stars A historical novel - does what it says on the tin!, 26 Sep 2013
Mr. J. A. Smith "thetoot" (Blackwell) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a reader of historical chick lit (such as Philipa Gregory) thought I would give this historical romance a go: A fairly standard romance story I would have thought, girl hates guy then realises she's in love with him, but, oh no, there is something stopping them being together - will it get resolved and they live happily ever after???? of course it will!
This is not going to win any awards for novelty, plotting or character depth but it had some nice period details, dialogue and good descriptions of characters, castles, and the like, which kept me entertained.

Not at all taxing on the brain, the characters were okay - a leading lady with a hard life to feel sorry for (I did want to say "pull yourself together and stop being so silly" to her, and a dark and handsome hero but I'm not sure I'd be swooning... if you like romance I'm sure you will enjoy this book, if you're after something a bit meatier, look elsewhere, but I found it a pleasant way to while away a few hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry not my cup of tea., 29 Mar 2013
BusyReader "mrs28" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am quite keen on historical romances of periods in history which I know about so got this on the off chance it would teach me about life in the Norman times as it's an area of history that I haven't much read about ,sadly I found the book quite tedious- it started well but became too far fetched and I got bored with it so have not completed it . I will keep it for a time when I have time to try again .

5.0 out of 5 stars Susie-Que, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fire Dance (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book by Delle Jacobs that I have read and have enjoyed both. From the moment I started reading Fire Dance I was hooked and didn't want to put the book down. The poor heroine Melisandre, had a really hard and abusive life caused by the one person who should have protected her...her evil father. Considering what she went through, she has come out of it as a caring and selfless person who only wants to try and save and protect the hero of the book...her to be husband. He himself, comes across as a caring person except when she runs off to destroy the one thing that will see him killed...the poinsoned cloak. But he soon realises what is going on and comes to her rescue. The only thing that frustrated me was the fact that she didn't tell him about the cloak sooner. A very good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars history and romance, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fire Dance (Kindle Edition)
An exciting tale of history, tho not factual, and romance well written and a good easy read highly recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire Dance by Delle Jacobs, 9 Nov 2013
P. Brigham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Dance (Kindle Edition)
Found this at first difficult to get into. But I soon started to understand the plot, and found it hard to put it down. I really enjoyed it and will look forward to reading another book from the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fire Dance (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book I've read by Delle and I wasn't disappointed. I found that I couldn't put it down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9655330)

Fire Dance
Fire Dance by Delle Jacobs (Paperback - 11 Sep 2012)
7.64