5.0 out of 5 stars Highly addictive zombie fiction
I have to say this is one of the best Zombie novels I have read, incredibly fast and full of constant suspense and action, it's one of those books you find hard to put down and when you do you find yourself thinking I want to find out what happens next!

Published 22 months ago by Martin Belcher

2.0 out of 5 stars worthy attempt
This is worthy attempt at a zombie apocalypse story.

I didn't mind the diary format and I did find myself liking the main character. Overall however, it was the writing that let the book down. It was quite basic and unimaginative. I don't know if it was the translation.

Published 13 months ago by sk

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly addictive zombie fiction, 3 Nov 2012
Martin Belcher (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (Paperback)

The author, Manel Loureiro is Spanish and this book begun as a popular blog in his home country of Spain and then it obviously transferred into a book format. It's been a best seller in Spain, Italy and Brazil and now for the first time translated into English.

The book tracks the beginnings of a world wide zombie plague and breakdown of modern civilization from the view point of a young man living on his own with his cat in the small town of Pontevedra in the northern Spanish region of Galicia. Each chapter takes the format of a diary or blog entry and is incredibly addictive, you find yourself reading voraciously to find out what happens next in horror as first he sees the breakdown spread across Europe and America in the media and then eventually it arrives at his door. Fleeing with his life he manages to find his way to the city of Vigo and from there a perilous journey across a devastated city scape populated with the undead.

I absolutely loved this book, a real treat for lovers of Zombie fiction and so refreshing from a Spanish point of view instead of the usual American or British settings for most zombie fiction out there. I note from the end covers that Manel has written three books in his Apocalypse Z series, so I really hope that these other books get translated into English as I would really like to read more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was a rather good Zombie novel, 14 Dec 2012
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (Paperback)
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (MP3 CD)
Audio Book format

As many reviewers have already commented this tale unfolds in the form of one man's blog that is kept in a diary and, while the internet is live, via a web blog. The language is relatively simple, but never preambles. The narrative follows, at times a predictable formula. There is a terrorist attack on a secret military base slash research facility. What follows is a tumbling of the dominoes as secrecy and governmental ineptitude leads to a worldwide pandemic of the un-dead who behave very much like the flesh eating Zombies.

Our protagonist is a lawyer by trade; he is widower who lives alone in Galicia Spain, except for his cat who figures heavily in his life. Through his blog/diary we see how society begins to unravel as the pandemic spreads from a remote zone in the Russian Federation until it reaches Spain and finally his front door. Not wishing to give spoilers, our lawyer and cat are forced to leave their fortress home and embark on journey to find some safe haven. On this `road trip' from hell our hero will meet both the best, worst, and profoundly stupid of humanity.

This novel has been translated from Spanish, and appears to be the first of what sounds like a `series', containing his travels and experience's. I just want clarify I was listening to the unabridged version and have not read the book, but I am sure they are one in the same. I found the story entertaining, and it was refreshing to have a story based in mainland Europe as opposed to North America, where most of the novels and films I have seen, seem to be played out. This book is not going to win any literary prizes - but this is not one of those books. Some rather interesting Horror fiction has been coming out of Spain lately and this story is one of them. In summation then this is an interesting and entertaining audio-book, which is cat friendly to boot and I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Zombie Survival Story, 9 Nov 2012
Mr. T. Berriman "berriman_toby" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read a *lot* of zombie fiction, and I did not hold much hope for yet another survival story. But I was pleasantly surprised; I thoroughly enjoyed Apocalypse Z and found its approach refreshing.

Apocalypse Z started as a Spanish blog by Manel Loureiro which he then adapted into a trilogy of books. This is the first book in the series and the only one to have been translated into English so far (as of Nov 2012). A Spanish film adaptation of the second book has also been proposed.

The book keeps the familiar blog format, and describes the experiences of a lawyer who is caught up in a zombie outbreak. The style is similar to Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile, however has much more of an everyman feel compared to the millitary approach of DbDA. The believability of the protagonist makes it easy to relate to him, and his cat Lucullus who accompanies him through the story is an endearing secondary character.

Unlike some other zombie fiction, you get the sense of a world that exists beyond the events described, which makes the story that much more engaging. The desolation, hopelessness, and sometimes helplessness of the situation and characters is brilliantly portrayed. I spent some late nights reading this book with my heart in my mouth, genuinely feeling for the characters and wondering how they would possibly survive one terrible situation after another, not only physically survive but somehow survive without going completely crazy under the pressure!

The book ends well, leaving you with the sense of the end of one part of the adventure and the start of the next. Well written, well translated, and thoroughly entertaining; I will certainly be buying the next book in the series when it is translated! Definitely worth a read both for the zombie fiction fanatic and someone venturing into new territory.

2.0 out of 5 stars worthy attempt, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (Paperback)
This is worthy attempt at a zombie apocalypse story.

The ending is a bit cliche (I won't spoil it) and the run up to the apocalypse seemed a little to simple.

Having said that, I enjoyed reading the book in parts. Worth picking uo if you have exhausted all other apocalypse books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zentertaining, 20 July 2014
Zombie fiction is currently a very popular genre and with the amount of titles flooding the market, it is easy to dismiss them as yet another cheap instalment. This one however, although not entirely original, has a disturbing sense of realism and immediacy to it due to its blog entry format. It is an entertaining read and every entry the main first person protagonist makes, leaves the reader wanting to know more, as we feel personally drawn into his life. He is no super hero and with his close bond to his cat, he becomes a very likeable and ordinary man thrown into far from ordinary circumstances., making us question what we would do in his situation. With the author being a lawyer and from Galicia too, there is also another eerie link to realism, as the narrator has the same background. And there are currently plans to make it into a film. Overall this is an entertaining light read and as that it is five stars. I am not sure how a slightly changed format in the next two instalments will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality plague and zombie book set in Spain., 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (Paperback)
The story is set in Galicia in Spain and starts with a plague breaking out in Russia. Things develop fast. the story is well written, the main character is isolated from the start by personal circumstances but there are other people around. The story develops well, not too fast and slowly builds the tension. It feels a little bit like the Last Man on Earth in the first third. Things move along and there is plenty of travelling, although the guy doesn't really get so far. There are plenty of places where action takes place and some great ideas for who would survive and who would not. It's the first part of a trilogy, it was written in 2007 and translated in 2012 so I don't know when I will get to read the next books in English (much like Metro 2034).

I thoroughly recommend this book to people who like plagues, zombies and cats, oh yes and Spain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting perspective., 7 Sep 2013
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (Paperback)
There are many books written in diary format in zombie-world, and very few of them that I particularly enjoyed. If I had known that Apocalypse Z was written as a diary, I therefore probably would have passed it over, but I'm glad I didn't. I believe that the name of the main character is never revealed, and although there's a chance it's my memory failing me, I'm pretty sure from one of the final scenes of the book that this is on purpose. So for the purposes of my review I shall call him Survivor Man.

Originally written in Spanish, and translated recently into English, Apocalypse Z is the journal of Survivor Man, a widowed lawyer, and his cat, Lucullus, and their experience of the global zombie apocalypse. What I really liked about the journal format in this case was that he does include a lot of information about the fall of the world to the undead, and that his journey always has a purpose - whether searching for other survivors, or escaping a bunch of dodgy sailors and their crazy captain - and he's also dedicated to his cat.

Pets in the apocalypse are rarely touched upon, and although there a few examples of dogs as companions or family members while fighting zombies, this is probably the first one I've come across with a cat - and as a cat person, it was a huge added bonus.

There was a turn in the plot halfway through, when Survivor Man meets a bunch of sailors on their ship, and this is where Apocalypse Z lost me a little, because I didn't really understand the point of it, and it all seemed a little far fetched and unnecessary. It did drive the rest of the plot, but it didn't sit very well with me - it felt like the author had imagined the most unlikely scenario possible just for the sake of having something unique, rather than something that fit.

Overall Apocalypse Z is a good, solid zombie read. It didn't blow me away, but it was enough to keep me satisfied and turning the pages, and I loved that the main character was so dedicated to his cat, and treated it more like a person than 'just an animal'. It does have some unique aspects, but not all of them felt to me like they belonged. However, I'll be interested to see where this series goes next, however currently the next book is not yet translated into English.

4.0 out of 5 stars but after saying that this book was a pretty good read for my flight to, 8 July 2014
Zombies aren't my thing, but after saying that this book was a pretty good read for my flight to spain

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 6 July 2014
I found it very enjoyable and it's well worth reading. It is very well written. I would recommend it to friends to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, like the Spanish walking dead., 24 Jun 2014
A virus unleashes hell on earth. The hero is a likeable chap, though the dog-like obedience of his cat is questionable. The blog style is readable and captivating.
The likeness to tv's 'the walking dead' is the elephant in the room, though I don't know when this was written.

Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End
Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End by Manel Loureiro (Paperback - 23 Oct 2012)
7.64