4.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was a rather good Zombie novel
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (MP3 CD)
Audio Book format

Possible Spoilers

Published on 14 Dec. 2012 by Susman

2.0 out of 5 stars worthy attempt
This is worthy attempt at a zombie apocalypse story.

I didn't mind the diary format and I did find myself liking the main character. Overall however, it was the writing that let the book down. It was quite basic and unimaginative. I don't know if it was the translation.

Published 23 months ago by sk

2.0 out of 5 stars worthy attempt, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z) (Paperback)
This is worthy attempt at a zombie apocalypse story.

The ending is a bit cliche (I won't spoil it) and the run up to the apocalypse seemed a little to simple.

Having said that, I enjoyed reading the book in parts. Worth picking uo if you have exhausted all other apocalypse books.

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was a rather good Zombie novel, 14 Dec. 2012
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z) (Paperback)
This review is from: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End (MP3 CD)
Audio Book format

Possible Spoilers

As many reviewers have already commented this tale unfolds in the form of one man's blog that is kept in a diary and, while the internet is live, via a web blog. The language is relatively simple, but never preambles. The narrative follows, at times a predictable formula. There is a terrorist attack on a secret military base slash research facility. What follows is a tumbling of the dominoes as secrecy and governmental ineptitude leads to a worldwide pandemic of the un-dead who behave very much like the flesh eating Zombies.

Our protagonist is a lawyer by trade; he is widower who lives alone in Galicia Spain, except for his cat who figures heavily in his life. Through his blog/diary we see how society begins to unravel as the pandemic spreads from a remote zone in the Russian Federation until it reaches Spain and finally his front door. Not wishing to give spoilers, our lawyer and cat are forced to leave their fortress home and embark on journey to find some safe haven. On this `road trip' from hell our hero will meet both the best, worst, and profoundly stupid of humanity.

This novel has been translated from Spanish, and appears to be the first of what sounds like a `series', containing his travels and experience's. I just want clarify I was listening to the unabridged version and have not read the book, but I am sure they are one in the same. I found the story entertaining, and it was refreshing to have a story based in mainland Europe as opposed to North America, where most of the novels and films I have seen, seem to be played out. This book is not going to win any literary prizes - but this is not one of those books. Some rather interesting Horror fiction has been coming out of Spain lately and this story is one of them. In summation then this is an interesting and entertaining audio-book, which is cat friendly to boot and I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fast paced zombie apocalypse!, 10 Oct. 2013
This is the first book I've read from Manel and I'm hooked, what a fab read. Those that follow my book reviews will have noticed I love reading apocalypse/zombie style books and believe me Ive read alot good and bad. Im always looking for that next amazing read that stands out from the flooded market of zombie-esk books and this does infact it stands way above the many Ive read.
Im actually buzzing from reading Apocalypse Z its one of the best Ive read, I have literally just finished reading the second one on the series; Dark days as I couldn't bare a gap in between; I couldnt stop reading and HAD to know what happened next; that's how addicted I was to this fast paced flow and brilliant natural characters.
This book the first in the proposed trilogy has been written slightly differently compared to other books in this genre and I wasn't sure in the beginning if I would like the blog/diary style, but I really grew to love it, it was easy to follow and Manel is fantastic at adding details so we feel like we are really there. He builds suspense even though its sort of in the past tense as its already happened (as the main character is writing his blog)....if you get what I mean.
The fact the main character is a simple lawyer thrown into the worst possible situation and has to survive and learn skills fast to stay alive is just brilliant, this makes him relatable and so very believable to almost everyone. His no rambo or big movie star or wrestler, his an ordinary guy whose mourning the loss of his beloved wife and lives alone with his cat. I love this arrogant Persian, but I'm not sure how many cats would not be scared and just run off, his almost like a pet dog which is fab, but ...phew thank you Manel for not making him meet any grisly end; I'm so relieved as a cat lover lol ;-)
What makes this book is just how much Manel makes us care about this guy trying desperately to survive and is thrown from one disaster to another, but its not over the top like some books it flows so well and we follow him through these trials, his nerves, anger and upset and its great he doesn't make stupid mistakes and your not yelling at the book to not go down that road or through that doorway.....again its sooo believable. He makes real informed decisions that make sense for that situation...yay!
He meets up with Ukrainian pilot Viktor "Prit" Pritchenko,and they form an unlikely friendship that's lasting and make a great team together. A lawyer, a Ukrainian helicopter pilot and a cat fighting the undead just trying to survive.

The ending cliff-hanger will make you want to buy the next book Apocalypse Z Dark Days immediately like I did at 3 am this morning lol. I couldn't have a break in-between lol. I spent 2 sleepless nights reading each of the books and it was worth it, its not often I read through the day too, but I literally couldn't put this down.

Its a fantastic read that slightly different to the usual apocalypse style zombie books, it was originally written in Spanish but has been translated perfectly, this was a worry for me as I thought it maybe broken English but it wasn't.
I really really enjoyed this book and highly recommend this to those that have read many of this style that want something a bit different with some fantastic original ideas to survive... a wetsuit!
Buy this you wont be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 3 Mar. 2013
I picked up this book because I asked a friend who is a zombie fan, which was the best zombie book he has read and he suggested this one.

I couldn't put the book down. The journey the main character (whose name you never get to know) goes through is exciting and pitched full of danger. I laughed at the fact he goes out fighting zombies in his diving gear which gives him protection and a lot of strange looks. Good job since he gets bitten at least twice. Zombie immunity!

There were loose ends that unfortunately the book didn't tie up, such as the fate of the enemy ship and the contents of the suitcase which was a shame.

But overall the book was believable (for a zombie story).

I'm aware the book was originally written in Spanish and the translation is good, though not perfect. About a hundred times you will read text patterns which will annoy you.

Although, not the best zombie book I've ever read, it is still worth a read.

EDIT: A few months later, I've descovered this book has a sequel, which may explain some of the loose ends which weren't tied up. I've also read many other zombie stories since then; One I highly recommend, especially if you're into comedic zombie action would be Zollywood, by K. Bartholomew - Highly entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing and thought provoking!, 9 Nov. 2013
Tremse "Sue" (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I love a good Zombie tale and this is a really good Zombie tale! I wasn't sure I'd like a book written in the style of a blog but this work very well and I became totally absorbed in the story and the fate of the writer and his cat Lucullus after a plague engulfs the world.

Like all good stories, this one starts innocuously enough with an incident in Russia that hardly anyone takes notice of, and builds into a terrifying situation, told by a survivor of the fall of modern civilisation. As he says, the most civilised are the ones that have the most difficulty coping, whereas those whole live in remote, third world places live daily without running water, electricity and medical care.

Like Stephen King's 'The Stand' and 'Cell' and Richard Matheson's 'I am Legend' and more recently Justin Cronin's 'The Passage' and 'The Twelve' - the apocalyptic world described will make the reader wonder how they would cope in the same circumstances. If you liked all or any of those books, you'll love Apocalypse Z.

Now to start on Book 2...

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting perspective., 7 Sept. 2013
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z) (Paperback)
There are many books written in diary format in zombie-world, and very few of them that I particularly enjoyed. If I had known that Apocalypse Z was written as a diary, I therefore probably would have passed it over, but I'm glad I didn't. I believe that the name of the main character is never revealed, and although there's a chance it's my memory failing me, I'm pretty sure from one of the final scenes of the book that this is on purpose. So for the purposes of my review I shall call him Survivor Man.

Originally written in Spanish, and translated recently into English, Apocalypse Z is the journal of Survivor Man, a widowed lawyer, and his cat, Lucullus, and their experience of the global zombie apocalypse. What I really liked about the journal format in this case was that he does include a lot of information about the fall of the world to the undead, and that his journey always has a purpose - whether searching for other survivors, or escaping a bunch of dodgy sailors and their crazy captain - and he's also dedicated to his cat.

Pets in the apocalypse are rarely touched upon, and although there a few examples of dogs as companions or family members while fighting zombies, this is probably the first one I've come across with a cat - and as a cat person, it was a huge added bonus.

There was a turn in the plot halfway through, when Survivor Man meets a bunch of sailors on their ship, and this is where Apocalypse Z lost me a little, because I didn't really understand the point of it, and it all seemed a little far fetched and unnecessary. It did drive the rest of the plot, but it didn't sit very well with me - it felt like the author had imagined the most unlikely scenario possible just for the sake of having something unique, rather than something that fit.

Overall Apocalypse Z is a good, solid zombie read. It didn't blow me away, but it was enough to keep me satisfied and turning the pages, and I loved that the main character was so dedicated to his cat, and treated it more like a person than 'just an animal'. It does have some unique aspects, but not all of them felt to me like they belonged. However, I'll be interested to see where this series goes next, however currently the next book is not yet translated into English.

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely scary...., 16 Nov. 2013
I read a lot of horror and love shows such as 'Walking Dead' so even though I was unfamiliar with the author I thought I would give this a go.

It was a great read..... genuinely couldnt put it down!

Unlike some of the other reviews I actually liked the build up to how it all happened - the slow descent into chaos seemed more realistic. This 'could it really happen' feeling is what made me enjoy the book so much and resulted in a couple of nights where I lay awake with my mind planning out what I would do in such a situation!

I have dropped a star only because I initially found the blog style confusing and when starting a new chapter, and therefore a new date, had to keep on flicking back to remember how long it had been since the last entry.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a zombie fan, but this is a good read., 13 Oct. 2013
K. Roberts "La Preguiceira" (Galicia, Spain,) - See all my reviews
Oh wow, Galicia! Manel Loureiro's book is cleverly set in the most populated part of Galicia. Whenever I visit the west coast, I'm always a bit stunned by the enormous amount of traffic and people. So, by the end of January in this book, traffic jams are a thing of the past, or rather, slightly changed. No cars, just the horrendous shuffling of feet and groaning.

Had it been set inland, the zombies would have been beaten to death with cabbage stalks - or week-old bread - or shot by wild boar hunting vigilante cazadores.

I'm taking refuge in irony. This is a scary book and very, very well translated into American English. It'll be interesting to read it in Castellano or poetic Galego.
Still, scary. Very scary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great, 31 Oct. 2013
I love the zombie genre but there are a LOT of duff novels popping up on Amazon so I have to confess I opened this unknown (to me) author's offering with not much hope of being impressed. But wow, what a lovely surprise...after my initial uncertainty of how I would get on with a 'journal' type narrative I was hooked within the first few pages and the writing got better and better. Totally gripping, the futility and hopelessness is strongly felt throughout, I love his relationship with his cat, and I literally couldn't put it down! Graphic, heart stopping undead battle scenes as well as colourful, sad, desperate, descriptions of his lost world. Absolutely loved it. I hope there's a sequel...

4.0 out of 5 stars A readable zombie thriller, 27 Nov. 2013
A good nuts and bolts zombie thriller, set in Northern Spain which is a nice change, about a guy and his cat trying to survive the end of mankind. A reasonably plausible account of how the outbreak might have started and been spread. Well written, in the form of a blog, and translated from the Spanish. A little too much swearing for my taste and one or two "how does that work, then?" and unexplained moments (e.g. how can the undead with no food supply not deteriorate over time? What was in the case after all that?). But I'm hooked enough that I know I'll be reading parts 2 and 3.

The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z)
The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z) by Manel Loureiro (Paperback - 23 Oct. 2012)