4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise.
Published 23 months ago by The Demon Librarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising New World
Redemption is the first book in the Penton Legacy series by Susannah Sandlin who has created an alternate reality that pulses with life.

Published 23 months ago by Ladybubbles

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising New World, 17 Jan 2013
Ladybubbles (Croydon, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Sometimes when you are trying to take on a tried and true subject matter it can be difficult and daunting to turn it into something unique. The story starts at the beginning of what could become a vampire civil war as a vampire's nightmare is realized when human blood, their major food source, is no longer readily available. Vaccinated human blood for an unrelated pandemic has proven deadly to their kind, making supply low and demand high.

Some are choosing to evolve in order to survive. Aiden Murphy's community Penton are one. However, not all are happy with how they choose to live in peace with humans that provide them sustenance and fear that Aiden will become too powerful as more will seek to follow his example.

The romance is low key. Their doctor dies and Aiden is tasked with recruiting a new doctor. The interview goes well but as disaster strikes, the new doctor is thrust into accepting the strange circumstances of her new vampire environment and a new friendship with Aiden takes a romantic turn.

The villain was ruthless, cruel and Susannah did a fantastic job of making him a huge threat to Aiden's world. Paranormal romance novels need a great villain to spur the action forward and Owen fit the bill perfectly.

Overall, I did enjoy this world and while I was not wowed by the book, I am intrigued enough by Redemption to know that I will read future books when they are released.

The Penton Legacy Series:
1. Redemption
2. Absolution
3. Omega (February 2013)

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise., 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Redemption (The Penton Vampire Legacy Book 1) (Paperback)
This is another one of those paranormal romance series that seems to be just that little bit more refined, the characters a tad more sophisticated and mature, and the focus slightly less on sex and action and more on relationships, science, communities and...you know, grown up stuff. AND sex and action! There are plenty of PNR series out there following groups of hulking warrior-types who live together that would appear quite juvenile in comparison. More like a group of Frat Boys (to borrow an American term) than centuries old men born in a more dignified era. That's not to say one is preferable over the other, I've read and enjoyed both, I just thought it worth noting that this falls in the former category rather than the latter. If you've enjoyed series such as Dianne Duvall's Immortal Guardians and maybe even Kerrelyn Sparks' Love at Stake series, then you should like this series.

As well as being a Paranormal Romance, it's also got a Post-Apocalyptic thing going on. Something I wish had been detailed a touch more, actually. The setting was very insular--all set it Penton, as the series title would suggest--and the community Aidan Murphy has tried to build there. Yet we're told that the world has suffered a massive loss to its population through a virus. A virus that people are now vaccinated against, which for vampires is a disaster because it makes their blood poisonous to them.

This is the reason behind Aidan's newly-formed community in Penton. A nice place to be for the vamps who live there, but the ones out there starving, unable to find enough unvaccinated humans to survive on, aren't happy about it. They see the Penton vamps, each with their own blood-bonded human, well-fed and happy, and seek to destroy them out of jealousy and fear of Aidan's increasing power. Aidan, on the other hand, couldn't give a flying fig about power or any of their dominance games. He just wants a quiet, peaceful life. To provide for his humans and make sure his vampires are taken care of. That is all. In the search for this, he tries to employ a new doctor for the community after the last one was killed. Enter Dr. Krystal Harris.

Krystal was a pretty good heroine--Level-headed, a touch insecure--but really it was Aidan who stole the show for me. A sweet-natured man who doesn't seem to realise his own appeal. I enjoyed the relationship between the two and thought the background plot was strong even with the setting being so limited. Perhaps we'll see more of the the world and this elusive 'Vampire Council' in the next book, which I will definitely be reading:)

4 Stars ★★★★

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Beige', i.e. firmly middle-of-the-road vampire tale, with a non-Alpha male lead. Did we really need this with the so many...., 31 May 2012
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
...excellent vampire tales out there? I mean, whilst it is a pleasant little read (one that I would totally let my easily-shocked elderly mum read), which is quite well-written, the author is no Lara Adrian/Larissa Ione/Alexandra Ivy/JR Ward (appreciate her talent, though I don't like her tales). It's a very bland world she's created, where the vamps are mellow (a bit like the Cullens in Twilight) and the baddies aren't really that badass, and it feels like a very safe little world, unlike a la Walking Dead, and that world-changing pandemic? It barely gets any page-time.

The blurb tells you pretty much all about it, and no, unlike what I expected, it wasn't really a case of Stockholm Syndrome between Aiden and Krys - it simply felt as if it were girl-meets-decent-boy(not man, as he really wasn't Alpha enough)-and-falls-for-him. There was no major rampage, just an explosion and some targeted killings. It didn't feel as if there was any major danger, or angst, or sense of loss for those killed, and the 'love' between Aiden and Krys didn't 'feel'...well, anything, really. It was kind of convenient, and the love scenes were sensual, rather than the bordering-on-erotic ones that we see from the above named authors, and that I've come to take for granted in vampire romances. In fact, I kind of feel a bit cheated.

Like I said, it was a pleasant read, not one that I'd have paid for, as it just wasn't really...necessary. I can't really see how the author plans to make this into a series, as yes, though there are a couple of single vamps, none of them - not even their gigantic slayer - stood out as Alphas. The words 'mellow' and 'beige' spring to mind in lieu of 'badass', 'formidable', etc., etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from page one- Finished in one sitting!, 6 Mar 2013
I read this book on one sitting. I seriously could not put it down! The characters came to life off the pages and I watched this story play out behind my eyes. This definately takes the place of Twilight in my affections and Sandlin has quickly become one of my favourite authors, ranking high with those I idolise such as Laurell.K.Hamilton.

I recieved Redemption through a giveaway contest I entered and I am so glad I did! I have the second to delve in to and believe it will be just as good as this one. Aidan is hot, sexy, melt in your mouth chocolatey goodness. He is fair, ruthless, a brilliant leader and takes the wieght of the world on his shoulders, as well as alot of guilt if anything goes wrong.

This book centres around Aidan's brother and the revenge between them. Owen is kinda insane, loves being a vampire and is a litte sadistic. Aidan on the other hand is working hard to create a peaceful life for himself in a remote town called Penton where humans and vampires co-exist happily and even help each other. Vampires feed from them and the humans are protected in return. Aidan will do anything to protect this way of life and Owen will do anything to destroy it mainly out of spite, but also to save his own life.

Yet we learn that there is another deeper plotline beneath Owen's and Aidan's feud. A powerful Vampire Tribunal member is in search of his estranged son, who doesnt want to be found, and he happens to be in Penton. I cant wait to learn more about this in the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, 16 Feb 2013
I tend to like fantasy books and this was no exception, like most ebooks for Kindle they do a very good deal to get you interested in the author and then with subsequent books the price always goes up. I tend to wait to see if any offers come up and then buy at my price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Vamps on the Block, 15 Feb 2013
This book has been sitting quietly on my Kindle since October last year (along with a lot of others) and as there are now three to read in the series I decided yesterday that it was time to 'dip my toes'. I had already purchased the second book and have now downloaded the third on the strength of the first one.

I have read all the available reviews and have to agree with the readers who awarded five stars. The sniffy person who pretty much said that it was a boring waste of time and that it has all been done before seems to have missed the point. Whether the main characters are Vampire, Werewolf, Fae or Alien interacting with Humans or just good old fashioned Human/Human the stories all portray the inherent love vs hate, loyalty vs betrayal, kindness vs cruelty that is always present in life (or unlife)and yes, it has all been done before by every writer who has ever put pen to paper. It doesn't actually have to be Shakespeare to be worthy of being read. Get over yourself already.

There is nothing new to be written of under the sun just different points of reference. Some are just better than others, and I have read an awful lot of dross; Ms Sandlin is not in my column headed 'Dross'.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and expect to also enjoy the next two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another one for the Vampire Shelf, 7 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is Susanne Sandlin's first book of The Penton Legacy series. I was a little sceptical because have we already got enough Vampire series in print. I wasn't too keen on the Twilight Series though, Redemption was, for me anyway, a better read. Good characters, lots of excitement and a good read. Vampire lovers, of course, can't get enough of the genre - so here's something to keep your blood flowing for a bit!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bandwagon Bloodlust, 10 July 2012
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In a market arguably already over-saturated with tales of the undead
we must ask the question whether or not there is room in the crypt for
yet another vampire novel or, heaven and hell forbid, another series.
The answer is very probably "yes" - there is a huge audience for the
genre when all's said and done - but Susannah Sandlin's 'Redemption'
is unlikely to create even the smallest ripple in the ever-burgeoning
river of tainted blood. Her main protagonist, Aidan Murphy, lacks
substance and colour (he really isn't very engaging at all) and her
narrative too derivative to truly harness our interest and imagination.
The novel limps along at a snail's pace and I could find little within
its three hundred and fifty-something pages to sustain my attention.

When set against the piquant wonders of Anne Rice's 'The Vampire Chronicles'
or Charlaine Harris's more recent 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' Ms Sandlin's
creation is but a pale third cousin skulking lamely along behind in the shadows.

At Your Own Risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Penton Vampire Legacy, 27 Oct 2014
Nice read about a supernatural community and the people involved. Personally I enjoy books with community based story lines so in that sense this book did not disappoint. You are also able to get a feel for how the series will progress and have an strong understanding of the other lead characters. I will definitely be buying the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 29 Jun 2014
I've been looking for a page turner for sometime. This is definitely it for me. Love the characters. I really like that the author has left it open for follow up books but also left us with a satisfied ending. Looking forward to the next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Redemption (The Penton Vampire Legacy Book 1)
Redemption (The Penton Vampire Legacy Book 1) by Susannah Sandlin (Paperback - 12 Jun 2012)