Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wedding Cake and Big Mistakes is the third book in the Adams Grove series and I liked it quite a bit better than the last one. The first one is still my favourite but I was a bit worried that it was going to slide downhill from there as I wasn't very fond of the second in the series and went into this with a bit of trepidation. Everything is back on familiar ground here though and we meet up again with Jill, Carolanne, Garrett and Connor (and Grandma Pearl's friend Milly) so I quickly got back on board and it felt like meeting old friends again.

It's a romance at it's heart but like the others in the series it has a bit of tension with a criminal side-story running through it. Usually I prefer one thing or the other and while it's not exactly a romantic thriller it's not just a straight romance either but it works well and held my interest.

I thought I'd found a new series to love after finishing the first one but so far it's been a bit up and down for me, overall. I'll probably read the next in the series but it's not top of my list.

It's a nice gentle romance with a bit of criminal activity and all in all a nice, quick read.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nancy Naigle's book is the second in a series set in the small American town of Adams Grove. This is a sub-genre already well explored by Susan Mallery, Sherryl Woods, Debbie Macomber, Nora Roberts and Robyn Carr to name but a few. The messages are consistent ; small town life is best, neighbours support one another, families are important, everyone has baggage and love conquers all. This book fits well into the tradition but I felt that it lacked some emotional depth and consistency.

The story revolves around the marriage of the main couple from the first book but concentrates on Carolanne and Connor who are partners in the town's law practice. Carolanne is returning to the town after many years away and has unresolved issues with her father. The two of them have also been predicted to marry in a video will by an older lady who died recently. Connor would like them to be a couple but Carolanne is wary of combining her private life with her profession in case it goes wrong. About half way through the book a young woman's body is found and the two of them become involved in the investigation. Things become especially difficult when Carolanne's father Ben is suspected of the murder.

I never really felt that I understood Carolanne. Her issues with her father were not explained in detail and, in practice, she found it easy to overcome them as though they had never really mattered or been very strong in the first place. The same thing happens with her feelings for Connor, you felt that she could never have had any real objections or she wouldn't have given in so easily. At the end of the book Ben and Connor have a conversation about Carolanne's bad temper (caused, apparently by her having red hair) and how endearing it is, but until that chapter she hadn't flown off the handle at all. The emotions of the characters seemed to fit the story rather than the story being caused by their emotions and character. It made the main characters seem a bit shallow.

The whole murder plot seemed bolted onto the romance. The murder is not discovered until half way through the book and the victim is not a major character. In fact, her backstory is mostly ignored and little time is given by any of the characters to regret at her death. I felt that this part of the story was contrived to give a boost to a rather flat romance. I really didn't care about the crime at all and certainly never felt any dramatic tension.

This book wasn't a very satisfactory romance and it was a less satisfactory suspense story. I found it difficult to engage and thought the characters were rather shallow. This is one small town I shall not be revisiting.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a lovely story about life in a small town. It is a combination of a good love story and a good who - dunn - it. The author does a great job of depicting life in Adams Grove and her characterisation is such that you are engaged with and drawn into the circle of friends. All the strands of the different friends are weaved together skillfully until you feel that they are your friends. The characters are obviously well established ones and this is part of a series. This book stands well on its own . It is only the second book by Nancy Naigle that I have read but she is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. I will certainly read more. I read it in 2 days, did not want to put it down but then was sorry I had finished it. For me that is the true mark of a good story. Could be read in bed, relaxing in an evening, travelling or lying on the beech. I loved it
on 1 September 2013
This book is an ok read over a cup of tea and a cake. It took a wile to get going and the heroine needed a kick. The end seemed a bit rushed. It is not a New York best seller but will be fine if you have nothing else to read.
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This isn't the first book by Nancy Naigle that I have read - and it definitely won't be the last. I really enjoy her style of writing, I find it so easy to get into. This is a great bit of escapism - made even better by cake.... as I love making and decorating cakes! I love the 'small town' feel to this book, and the story keeps pace quite nicely. A real treat for a holiday read, or to snuggle up with by an open fire and a cup of hot chocolate!!
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was disappointed to find no recipes in this book, food doesn’t feature quite so highly as in the last Adams Grove story I read and it’s a shame as Nancy Naigle’s descriptions of food were one of the high points. This story is simpler and less convoluted than the last but the dialog remains unrealistic, the characters are little two dimensional and it’s rather like a soap opera.

There is a darker side too. Invariably city folk standout in Adams Grove: they don’t dress like the locals, they want different things and have barmy desires that aren’t for the simple things small town life offers. There’s never any meeting half way, just tolerating the weird incomers, and it’s like there is something wrong with you if you’re not from a small southern town.

It’s not a bad book and I quite enjoyed reading it, but it is not a great book and you’ve got to love Americana and the genteel south to really enjoy it.
on 10 December 2013
This is an enjoyable romantic tale that is well written but the story was rather predictable - good friends become more but each one doesn't realise the other feels the same
on 22 October 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you like your fiction light and homely as apple pie then this series of books is for you. Naigle takes you expertly if with the minimum of intrigue and literary effort through a lively- if predictable- romantic excursion that explores the trials and tribulations of small town/suburban America. A nice read that is about as taxing as a daytime TV Movie these type of books of course have their place and this is an accomplished example of the genre, that mixes romance, communal joys and a bit of suspense into one neat package.
on 16 March 2015
A very easy book to read. Not heavy, can be picked up where left off which is good if one is busy. I would read more of her books.
on 4 December 2013
Nice easy read. Love story with a who done it mixed in. Will definitely read another Nancy Naigle book soon