4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected pleasure...
Published on 26 Nov 2010 by Jenni

3.0 out of 5 stars Tuck right in
Reason for purchasing: Guess what? This book was another Christmas present! After enjoying Dreamer's Cat by Stephen Leather and The Basement by Stephen Leather, I was not sure what to expect from the cover/title of this book but was more than willing to tuck in.

Setting: Los Angeles.

Storyline: I would not call this book horrific. Mr Leather uses the...
Published on 1 Jan 2011 by K. M. Knight

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected pleasure..., 26 Nov 2010
I bought this book as it was in the Kindle top 100 and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It is not your typical vampire story and gives an interesting alternative to the standard view. I could really see this book being made into a indie type film (low - moderate budget or maybe made-for-TV movie) and the way it is written reminded me very much of Michael Crichton, especially with the extra detail about things that are not necessary for the actual plot but still very interesting and which help me get a better understanding of the lead characters line of work. A good, well thought out plot as well and I especially liked the ending.

Why only 4 stars? At only 250 pages it was too short for me personally, I think the "10 years" period (can't say more than this without spoilers) could have been more detailed which could easily have lengthened the book by another 100 or so pages. But this is simply my personal preference - I like long and detailed books - and the story itself certainly didn't require it and didn't feel rushed in any way.

A word of warning: if you like your books all neatly tied up at the end then you won't enjoy this book's conclusion as it is very much true to life in that there are a lot of questions left unanswered. This could be because the author intends to write a sequel but I suspect what is actually intended is to make you think a bit...

3.0 out of 5 stars Tuck right in, 1 Jan 2011
K. M. Knight "Kelvin M. Knight" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews

Setting: Los Angeles.

Storyline: I would not call this book horrific. Mr Leather uses the horror genre in the same way he uses the sci-fi genre in Dreamer's Cat: to give us a different perspective on something that has otherwise been done to death, hence creating an interesting and unusual story that has its roots firmly set in the thriller genre. This time, we become a middle-aged psychiatrist (who is depressed about growing old), working for the LA Police Department, who is nicknamed the Vampire Hunter and Batman, because of the bat mobile style car he drives. Jamie Beaverbrook uses a MacBookPro (more reasons for loving this story!) to run a profiling program he has researched and written and honed over ten years to pick out the crazies from the crimes of passion that occur with breathtaking and depressing rapidity in the city of Angels. He is doing just fine until he has to interview a twenty-five year old valley girl, Terry Ferriman, whom his program categorises as normal but whom his gut tells him there is something special about. He falls in love with her but then discovers all is not as it seems. Bit by bit, he ends up investigating Terry, and uncovers her frightening secrets, whereupon secret X file style government departments get involved and well, who could guess the ending. I certainly could not. Although once finished you will kick yourself.

Style: Not so short and sharp this time, definitely punchy, yet somewhat stodgy (which fits with the main character's traits); however the suspense is still excellently paced.

Prognosis: Definitely not the Stephanie Meyer type vampire stories that seem to be everywhere at the moment. If you want to read something different this Kindle book is exceedingly good value for money.

Footnote: There seem to be more missing/wrong words in this book than I have read in any of Mr Leather's Kindle books thus far. It is not that I am going out my way to spot them, they kind of announce themselves. Still, they are not major, only minor, and do not spoil the story, and can be easily removed in future releases. Ah, the wonders of the Kindle.

Kelvin M. Knight, 1st January 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 14 Nov 2010
I thought this would be just another trendy vampire love story but it was cheap so I gave it a go. What a pleasant surprise! Couldn't put it down. Will certainly look for other books by Stephen Leather now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short, 3 Feb 2011
This is the 1st book I've read on my kindle. I found it easy reading but over far too fast. Had I seen this book in a paper back version I would not have bought it simply because it was too short.
I'm not a fan of short stories. This to me is the sort of thing you might find in a woman's magazine.
Not your average vampire story, while it was interesting the ending was a disappointment.
Maybe the author did this on purpose with the thought of adding future books. Sadly it didn't grip me enough to want to explore deeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Once Bitten (Kindle Edition)
This is a really good read, very unusual, but definitely encouraging to read this writer again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read! I am a big fan of Stephen ..., 6 July 2014
Mr. R. K. Holt "Richard" (East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Bitten (Kindle Edition)
What a great read! I am a big fan of Stephen Leather's work, and this book is no disappointment. The characters are well thought out and described, the plot is excellent and the final twist unusual. Read this....you will enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Great quality. Delivered quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Once Bitten (Kindle Edition)
Great book you can not better BTB books

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Bitten, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Once Bitten (Kindle Edition)
I'm not a great fan of vampire stories - last one read was 'Salem's Lot - but I liked this shortish novel and loved the ambiguous ending - depending on my mood I can pick three different outcomes!

4.0 out of 5 stars an unexpected pleasure and a good read, well written, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Once Bitten (Kindle Edition)
As someone else said, an unexpected pleasure and a good read, well written. It's a thriller / sci fi book, I found it really enjoyable and was sad when it ended!

Once Bitten
Once Bitten by Stephen Leather (Paperback - 22 Nov 2011)
7.64