4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for 7+ year olds, full of intrigue and surprises, 10 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This story by Karen McQuestion contains a great mix of magic, fairies and adventure. It certainly kept my 7 year old daughter interested for her bedtime story. We haven't read Celia and the Fairies (the prequel to this book), but it didn't matter in the slightest. I would recommend this book to both girls and boys, it certainly has more substance to it than some of the other children's books out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for children, 16 Aug 2013
angelmary - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I read this book to check it was suitable for children and it managed to get me hooked to the point where I had to finish it. The book would make a great bedtime story for children over the age of 5. Also the book would make a great read for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars my 9 year old loves this, 22 April 2012
Mr. Nadim Bakhshov "Nadim Bakhshov" (Bloomsbury, London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first in the series was a direct hit for my 8 year old daughter. This follow-up, which became a Christmas present not only was consumed in a few days over the Christmas break but left my daughter with some clear and delightful memories of the characters and situations.

My daughter: "I loved this book. I wish there were more. It is magical and imaginative without being too caught up with typical modern tweenie issues. Brilliant."

I trust her judgement. So should you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has a ring to it, 17 Jan 2012
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading Celia and the Fairies, my daughter (7) was eager to read the next book from Karen McQuestion.

Secrets of the Magic Ring doesn't follow on from the first book, but it does have very similar themes and the same, easy to read, writing style that children aged 7-8 should be able to easily follow.

The story involves a magic wishing ring that a young boy called Paul finds. As is usual in these stories, wishes do not go according to plan and there is a moral running through this story about being selfish.

Though the main character is a boy, girls will find plenty to enjoy here. There is magic and the return of fairies as in the earlier book, plus the story itself is another excellent adventure full of magic. It feels almost timeless compared to many modern stories about children and harks back to stories I read in my own youth.

I thoroughly recommend Secrets of the Magic Ring and the previous book, Celia and the Fairies, for children aged 7 and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the Magic Ring, 15 Dec 2011
A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a wonderful book. It's so well written - and the story is great. It's full of intrigue and suspense, with a fair amount of fun thrown in. My 6 year old son thinks this is fantastic, and I must admit, I found myself reading on a bit further even when he'd fallen asleep at bedtime, as I got so into the story!! I wish there were more books like this for children - good, old fashioned magical tales that don't involve violent aliens blasting each other to pieces or kids who have problems we should all be able to relate to.......... I for one want a bit of escapism in a book, and this is perfect. I hope there are lots and lots of copies purchased as Christmas gifts, as this is a perfect gift for any child (or young at heart adult!).

5.0 out of 5 stars aimed at the 8 to 10 age bracket, 27 Nov 2011
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely story aimed at those in the 8 - 10 year age bracket. The story is about Paul whose Aunt insists on building him a swimming pool and in doing so, he finds a ring........... I am not going to go into any more detail because I dont want to spoil the story.

Lovely style of writing which children will find appealing and a magical story line.

I would definately recommend this book for any child interested in reading and magic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 14 July 2014
I liked this follow on from Celia and the Fairies. It is a story about Paul who finds a magic ring in his back garden. The ring gives one wish to the wearer. You would think this was a good thing, but it's not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets Of The Magic Ring, 25 Mar 2012
romreader "pawsperson" (Gosport, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Paul is a nine year old boy who has a wealthy auntie who suggests to Pauls parents that she would like to pay for a swimming pool to be put in the family Garden. Celia a friend of Pauls stares out at the garden with Paul gradually watching the giant hole being Dug for the Pool.Finding and old well Paul goes down a ladder to find a Box.
Henry a Boy came from knowhere seems to be very anxious to get his hands on the box, but Paul found the wooden box and wanted to hide the contents of the box in a safe place(under his Pillow).
His mother then gives the ring to his Auntie, you find out that the ring has powers, to find out what happens and if Paul gets the ring back or if Henry gets his hands on it buy this book.
A wonderful exiting read by Karen Mcquestion, My child wanted me to read this from cover to cover, didn't want me to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by nine year old Laura & her Dad, 7 Feb 2012
Alexa (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Laura is not an enthusiastic reader, and the Enid Blyton books are her favourites, so I was very impressed by this response:

L: The book was really good, surprising. It had a lot of things happening which made it very interesting.
It was one of the best books I've ever read.

(D: Better than 'Famous Five' books by Enid Blyton that we read?)
L: Yes, better than the Enid Blyton books - those only have one story thread and you know what will happen, but this one had lots of different things which separated out, but all came back together at the end.

D: We read the book together, and I enjoyed it too. The characters were interesting and not too perfect, and I always wanted to know 'what happened next'.
I could have done without the fairies, but they added a dimension to the story for Laura.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Sequel OR a good read in its own right, 1 Feb 2012
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Secrets of the Magic Ring
by Karen McQuestion

In this sequal to "Celia and the Fairies" the book tells the story of Paul, who upon finding a ring buried in an old well in his garden, finds out that it has magic powers and that the wearer has one wish.

Characters found in the first book show up again, but, and this is important to note, it is not essential to have read the first book as adequate explanation is given to their roles within this story.

The book is well written and very much a page turner with plenty of action and adventure. Ideal book for young readers.

Recommended

4 out of 5 stars

Secrets of the Magic Ring
Secrets of the Magic Ring by Karen McQuestion (Paperback - 8 Nov 2011)
5.94