Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 12 March 2015
I have successfully managed to make a basic pair of socks and they were a good fit. Great for people who do not either want or like knitting on circular needles as these are made with classic straight pins. However a word of warning; whoever edited or checked the patterns on this book needs the sack. The majority of patterns are littered with mistakes and unless you can access the web site for the publisher and download all of the corrections and then spend a few hours writing the corrections in to the book then think carefully before you purchase this book. In my opinion the publisher should supply a printed list of corrections and on further reprints make the corrections. From memory approximately 14 of the patterns had mistakes. The actual socks turned out very well and I cannot understand why the author and publisher did not pay attention to their editing. In future I advise people to go to publishers web sites and check books for corrections. I am glad I was not the first person to use the book; obviously other knitters found all the mistakes, otherwise I would have been lost.
review image
on 17 June 2013
I have never mastered knitting on four needles (despite many attempts!) so I thought this book was definitely meant for me! There are some great patterns for a variety of socks, with good clear explanations of the techniques involved and it is beautifully produced with excellent illustrations. It is an American publication, so UK knitters will need to convert the terminology, wool weights, needle sizes and so on.

I do have just one concern about this book - I have tried out two patterns so far and both have contained errors. One could be a simple typo (knit 3 rows when you actually need to knit 13) but the other is more complicated - a mistake in the instructions for the toe shaping, which needs a bit of recalculating to sort it out. This could be confusing and frustrating for a novice knitter.

That said, I am enjoying trying out the patterns and the ideas for the shaping and the seaming needed to knit socks on two needles are very clever.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2014
My knitting style uses long single pointed needles, one tucked under my arm. I am fast and fluid this way, so I detest the upsurge of circular knitting patterns. Circular knitting is no fun for me. So this pattern book is a great find.
One star removed because the two patterns I have knitted so far have mistakes in them. The first one in the plain DK socks, third size gave me 10 mins head scratching, The second in the plain 4 ply pattern was a simple stitch count error.
A good effort though.
on 28 September 2013
I wish I'd found this book ages ago instead of making socks on 4 needles. They are simple to do like this and I believe them to be quicker. I'm just about to finish the second sock of my first pair and that is in just under a week and only knitting in the evenings. Highly recommended.
I recently found a pattern for knitting bedsocks on two needles, and found the pattern so easy to follow, I was delighted to see this book, with more of the same. Excellent value, and very clear. An escential guide in "sockdom".
on 11 November 2013
I have been knitting socks on circular needles for some time, I thought I would like something a little different. Have now knitted several pairs of these socks and can't believe how simple the technique is to master. Doing two socks at one time is much easier and it is also easier to keep track of the rows. Thw finished socks were perfect. I have recommended this to several friends
on 25 July 2013
easy to use exceptional outcomes every time. would reccomend to anyone beginner or not. well thoughtout book very good illistrations.
on 21 September 2013
a learners dream of a book with pictures and patterns that were easy to follow well written and a joy to own
on 1 September 2013
I picked this book as I had always wanted to knit socks but dislike working in the round, so knitting socks on straight looked like the answer for me. The first socks in the book are very easy and I made several pairs very quickly, they set you up well for the patterns to come. I have been very please with this book.
on 13 September 2013
this is the book I've been waiting for as my fingers are not as nimble as they used to be and struggling with 4 or 5 needles is a real challenge. The only negative thing I can say is you need some knitting experience as the patterns aren't as clear as they should be.