5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice photobook, 13 May 2014
Bor (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Normandy Battlefields: D-Day & the Bridgehead (Hardcover)
I think this is a very nice book indeed. I like playing boardgames like Avalon Hill's The Longest Day and GMT's The Battle for Normandy. In these games I use large maps depicting the Normandy terrain, but they're stylized maps only, where terrain features and towns are just marked on the map as a symbol. I hoped the book would bring a number of these features to live, and fortunately it did so splendidly.
The book deals with the Normandy beaches individually from west to east. For each of them a number of important landmarks are shown as they were and as they are now. Key features are marked in these pictures and are enlarged, with captions added. Towns like Saint Mère Église, Carentan, Isigny, Bayeux and Caen are shown, but also the beach defenses get their share of attention. I like the formula used, where I got to see both the current situation and the way it was in 1944, and it's interesting to see what's left and what's changed.
The story of the invasion is thus told using these pictures. I think this means the story is not the most detailed you'll find, but it is certainly illustrated in a unique way, and that means it is a very nice addition to my library. It certainly brings those symbolized features on my gaming maps to live, and for that I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best D Day books I have read., 4 Jun. 2014
A very well researched book with some pictures of D Day that I have never seen before.The pictures of the beaches and bridges taken
from the air are superb,and show in greater detail the task that the Allies had before them,on that day.Also the then and now pictures
are really excellent,and in some cases the sites have not changed that much in 70 years!
If you are a D Day addict like myself,this book is a must for you.
Well done to Leo Marriot and Simon Forty for producing such a brilliant book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 April 2015
Great guide to the Battlefields of Normandy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to my military library, 12 Jan. 2015
Superb book which will help enormously when I tour the beaches later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
A must if you are going to France

5.0 out of 5 stars bought as gift - for a very happy recipient, 6 May 2014
Bought this for my father as a birthday present, and he was clearly very happy with it. My D Day obsessed husband was clearly very keen on it as well, so I may well have to get him one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 July 2014
Great book for my husband hours of reading so peace and quiet for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Sept. 2014
ok

The Normandy Battlefields: D-Day & the Bridgehead
The Normandy Battlefields: D-Day & the Bridgehead by Simon Forty (Hardcover - 27 Mar. 2014)