3,705 Reviews
 (2,113)
 (1,025)

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless
As my title suggests, after finishing The Husband's Secret I am utterly speechless at how good a novel this has been ... and very disappointed that I have reached the end and I don't have anymore of this book left to read.

What an amazing read - seriously!!

Published 3 months ago by LauraKT

3.0 out of 5 stars ... past year so I thought it might be a good holiday read
Published 4 months ago by Book worm

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 21 Sep 2014

What an amazing read - seriously!!

It had me clinging on to my iPad every time I picked it up to read, finding it difficult to put down.

Normally, I am not a fan of a novel consisting of so many characters with alternating chapters - it is the 'trying to remember' where that character left off I don't really enjoy, but this novel somehow had me hooked. It is written in such a way that the 'trying to remember' moments did not exist - page after page flowed in such a way that I didn't feel like the reader, I felt like a character in the book standing back watching the plot unfold in front of me.

Liane Moriarty, I am utterly in love with your writing style - keep up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed to know..., 7 Aug 2014
…and now I do. Am I disappointed? Only slightly.

For awhile there it felt like wherever I looked I saw the cover of The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, taunting me. Every book-email and internet sidebar dangled the secret in front of me like a mouth-watering chocolate fudge cake (an M&S one no less). I had tried to be strong and to convince myself that I didn’t need or want to know the secret and that it was probably something unsavoury or uninteresting or un-something else but the temptation was far too much in the end. Apart from being a little insight into why I have had so many failed diet attempts I like to think that it demonstrates an admirable thirst for knowledge.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick has lived many years blissfully unaware that her mild-mannered husband, John-Paul, harbours a life-changing secret until the day she discovers a letter addressed to herself, to be opened in the event of his death. What she reads in her husband’s letter leaves her reeling, as everything she thought she knew about her well-ordered life and the person she loves comes crashing down around her.

I thought that the build up to the revelation of John Paul’s secret was brilliant. Moriarty certainly knows how to tease her readers into a desperate frenzy and although I managed to refrain from actually shouting out loud ‘just tell me’ I was extremely close on more than one occasion! As well as Cecilia’s ongoing battle with her conscience, one of Moriarty’s stalling tactics was to introduce a second female protagonist, in the form of happily married Tess, who despite having an unshakable faith in her relationship is about to find out about her own husband’s betrayal. Tess’s shyness and self diagnosis of social anxiety coupled with her confidence with men made for an interesting read but whilst I wouldn’t be so mean as to refer to Tess as ‘all filler no killer’ it was clear why she didn’t quite cut it as a solo leading lady.

After what felt like a long long time (but was actually a couple of hours of reading spread over a few days), of getting distracted by other characters, Liana finally decided to let me on the secret. I promise I am not just saying this because it is now after the event, and I want to look like a smart-arse, but I did guess the secret before it was properly revealed. Whether or not this was Moriarty’s intention I may never know but I think it probably was given the way she built it up. The only problem was that once I did know for sure I felt such a relief that I lost momentum a little bit and became slightly less interested in the rest of the novel. That being said though the new problem of how the protagonist was supposed to deal with her husband’s secret was still a thought-provoking concept.

I couldn’t help but compare Cecilia and John-Paul’s relationship to my own and wonder what it would feel like to have everything I thought I knew about Ben change in an instant. I found myself (hopefully not too creepily) staring at him and wondering what it would feel like to find out he had a terrible secret. Could I forgive and can you just stop loving someone because of their past?

Moriarty explores the themes of guilt, revenge, forgiveness and the boundaries of love with an engaging look at the other side of the story. Worth a read, if only to satiate your burning curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 24 Aug 2014
when I started the book I didn't think I would like it as I thought it was a romance. I am so glad I stuck with it. This is one of the best books I have read.
Beautifully written, I honestly feel I know the characters.
Bittersweet, tragic, heart breaking, funny.
I will be reading everything this author has written. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... past year so I thought it might be a good holiday read, 19 Aug 2014
This books seems to have been everywhere over the past year so I thought it might be a good holiday read. The first few chapters are fantastic - and the main characters are well drawn and I liked the fact it was set in Australia. But...it peters out half-way and the twist, the 'secret' is pretty obvious. I'll definitely try another book by this author as she has a great observational eye and can clearly write well. But this book wasn't the work of genius that the reviews suggest. Not for me anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE HUSBAND'S SECRET, 18 Nov 2013
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Cecilia's life changes dramatically when the mother of three daughters finds a letter in the attic. Written by her husband Jean-Paul it states that it is to be read after he dies. However circumstances prevailing Cecilia opens the letter which reveals the most horrifying secret.
This was such an engaging read and a very good insight into life, love and friendship.
Highly recommend this novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intrigues and entertains, 13 Dec 2014
Cecilia is a successful wife, mother and local businesswoman, living a very comfortable life in Sydney. While her husband, John-Paul, is away on a business trip, she finds an envelope in the attic, which is addressed to her and says it is to be opened only in the event of her husband’s death. How long can she resist the temptation to open the envelope?

I love this story. From start to finish, it intrigues and entertains.

The tension in the build up to the reveal is excellent, even if the reader has a good idea what John-Paul’s secret is. The author maintains the tension while Cecilia tries to decide what to do with the secret that has the potential to destroy her (not so) perfect family.

Woven into this central story are two other women, Tess and Rachel. Tess’ husband has cheated on her and she’s taken her son from Melbourne to Sydney to live with her mother while she decides what to do next. She enrols him at a local school where Rachel is the school secretary. Rachel’s life revolves around her young grandson who has given her life meaning after decades of suffering from a cruel loss. Initially Cecilia, Tess and Rachel appear to have only superficial links, but as the story develops, they are bound tighter and tighter.

In many ways this is a comedy/tragedy of manners, with an authentic exploration of morals, social success and social anxiety. Themes of parenthood and grandparenthood, keep the domestic drama bubbling, and the author’s perceptive observations on marriage and relationships add a little spice. This book has all the ingredients I need to keep me reading way past my bedtime, and the resolution took my breath away.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT WRITING, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty was a Richard & Judy book club recommendation and has been on my reading list for some time.

I was fortunate to obtain a copy whilst browsing the shelves of a Charity shop while on holiday.

Reviews describe it as ‘Gripping’, ‘acutely observed’, ‘thought-provoking’, ‘highly addictive’ and ‘captivating’.
In my opinion it is all those mentioned and more.

Often books don’t ‘live up to’ comments and blurb on the cover however, this is one of those exceptions.

Cecilia, mother of three, discovers an old letter addressed to her from her husband. The message on the envelope states that it is to be opened in the event of his death. The problem is he is very much alive!!!
Eventually after much deliberation she opens it.
Like Pandora’s Box, once opened the contents can never be put back. The secret the letter discloses in too big to contain.
Cecilia is tormented between doing what is morally right and destroying her life and family.

The story builds gradually encompassing a number of individuals all with their own agendas.

Excellent characterisations and observations. It is a thought-provoking read of deceit and betrayal, with moral issues, at times funny and sad.

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly recommend, 28 Aug 2014
J. Weeks - See all my reviews
just fabulous and the epilogue at the end is a total must to read. don't forget that bit as will amaze you. thoroughly recommend this book. couldn't put it down and will re read in time. have passed to friends who are adoring of it to with twists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 25 Aug 2014
Couldn't put this down. I read it in 24 hours. The story twists and turns in so many different directions.

It is the first book I have read by this author and just downloading another now - I can't wait.

Simply brilliant

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (Audio CD - 13 Feb 2014)