Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 April 2009
This new work is an excellent and essential study on the Silmarillion.

Many books have been written about Tolkien the man, and Tolkien's writings, and I have to say that I have read a large number of them. Many of those books have been read once only, some have been read on a couple of occasions and a very small number are kept as an almost constant source of reference.

To this latter, select group, I now have to add Arda Reconstructed.

This book is intended to fulfil the desires of amateur and professional Tolkien scholars to provide a complete and accurate provenance for every part of the Silmarillion, as published in the single volume in 1977.

The book does not end with this detailed analysis, but also draws a range of conclusions relating to the editorial process used by Christopher Tolkien. Some of these conclusions I have seen before, but without the weight of evidence presented here. Other conclusions are new to me, and I thank the author for this.

If this was not enough, the analysis presented here gives one the tools to investigate for oneself the presentation of the Silmarillion as a published work and to draw one's own conclusions.

This is a first rate study and I am grateful to the author for having shared his work with us.

This book seems to have better availability on amazon.com and purchasers may prefer to visit there.