Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 July 2012
This book covers Carole King's career and private life from her teens to her seventies.

It covers a lot of ground - some expected: her collaborations with Gerry Goffin, her songwriting and recording successes; and also some areas not expected - being the abused wife of her third husband. Her admissions are brave and heartfelt - she never dreamed that she would ever find herself in that position and found herself following the classic pattern of denial and estrangement from friends until one day she had an experience that brought her to her senses and enabled her to fight back.

She also tells the story of her life out in the wilds as a a homesteader and the battle she fought to keep her land private - leading to the end of her 4th marriage.

Carole opens up about her life and relationships and how these influenced her songwriting. Her 4 children are a prominent part of her life and in the book she comes across as a really caring mother who really didn't want fame for herself as a recording star, but as a songwriter for other people.

The book is laced with recollections of the people she met and knew such as James Taylor, Lou Adler, Joni Mitchell, The Beatles ( she had a particularly odd experience with John Lennon)and is an excellent nostalgic rememberance for anyone who was young in the 60's and 70's. She was part of the post-war generation that sought the freedoms that shaped the 60's and 70's - free love, drugs etc - and it's all there.

There are full references to the songs mentioned in the text and a full index which make it also useful as a reference book should you so wish.

I found the book was written with a nice easy style and touches of both humour and honesty which opened up the woman for the world to see.
on 23 April 2013
Carole King, who often with Gerry Goffin (her husband for some time) and often without, wrote so many popular songs for other people to sing in the late Fifties, through the Sixties and into the Seventies, until eventually she was persuaded against her will to sing on stage and then record. Those of us who loved her recording of "It might as well rain until September", probably did not realise that she recorded that as a demo hoping Bobby Vee or some other star would record it to make it popular. She did it on her own. The song reached the Top Ten here. The book is her autobiography and is gripping as she details the way to the top. However for me, it tails off when she is eulogising so much on James Taylor. Also for me, there is a little bit too much detail about the creation of songs. But if like me, you have long admired this so talented lady, then it is all here for you to read. Highly recommended.
on 25 June 2013
I cannot put this book down. Carole King's story is fascinating in all ways. To a music lover like myself, it offers a glimpse into the history, motivations and struggles of a master songwriter.
on 22 March 2013
Bought this in hardback last autumn and enjoyed every page. Carole King and her music has always been an interest to me and would fully recommend this to anyone. Great read!!!
on 26 July 2015
You have to know who CK is and the songs and people around her in the 50s, 60's etc., to get something out of this book but it gives an incite into the pop world and its people as it took off in the 50s. You'll be amazed at some of the songs she co-wrote.
It's an easy read written by someone who still thinks she's a natural woman.
I think she is too,
on 14 March 2015
I went to see Beautiful on my birthday and in reviews someone mentioned there was a book so I got it from Amazon on Kindle. I have just finished reading it and find it hard to realise that we only think of Carol as a singer but she did so many other things, and yet was a good mother even making their clothes. I did not know a lot of the musicians mentioned but was pleased when I did. I am just a year younger so felt some camaraderie. It is a really good read and I am going to put it in my cloud for my husband to read as he knows more about music and songs than me. Also see the show it is fabulous.
on 1 July 2013
This is a very interesting summary of Carole's life and achievements. It was very personal and, hence, quirky. She did say herself that it was a memoir rather than a detailed summary. She writes engagingly and is suitably discrete about her relationships, whilst still being honest about her bad choices (in men!). She is very honest about her own fears and probably underates herself as a writer and a performer.

I could have done with a bit less detail about her land dispute in Idaho but, that apart, I enjoyed it immensely.
on 3 May 2015
Listening to Carole King in her own word on the audio cds is a revelation and a joy. Telling the story of the 1950s, 1960s American Songbook that she and her then husband Gerry Goffin helped to create, working from the Brill Building in New York. She talks about the making of her famous Tapestry Album from 1971. Also about her personal life. She sings some songs also. Time flies listening to this audio book by Carole King, one of the best songwriters ever!
on 7 January 2016
The book was very well written, I enjoyed it immensely ,I found it interesting and informative.I have only given it 4 stars because I purchased the enhanced version which amazon advertises. dozens of photos,video footage, and audio tracks.True,there were two short audio samples and six very small photo's and that was it.Not worth the £14 pounds I paid, I would have bought the standard version had I known.
on 11 October 2012
an excellent read from a carole king fan,knowing where her songs came from,the kind of life she led was interesting.a must read for her fans