4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
I really like the concept of this book and the explanations given for the worlds extinction. I'm looking forward to the next part.
Published 12 months ago by Scott Sanders

1.0 out of 5 stars Really boring
I found this book extremely dull and uninteresting. There was just no depth, no interesting characters and nothing to really connect with in terms of plot or storyline. Just lots of meaningless events between brief incidents of potential interest that simply don't make it.

Published 14 months ago by Pi

1.0 out of 5 stars Really boring, 8 May 2013

There are a lot of positive reviews that are simply unbelievable and in my opinion very suspicious. There is just no way someone can claim this to be the best book they've ever read unless this is the only book they've ever read.

Like many other I found myself skipping through the drivel and unrealistic decisions of a very irritating main character to see how it ends just to found what I should have expected ...

I almost never write reviews but this was such a bad book that I can't bear the thought of someone else suffering through this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good premise, poorly written, 3 July 2013
I liked the idea of the storyline but sadly couldn't limp past the first few chapters. The characters were poorly drawn, the pace forced and clunky, the syntax childlike and the writing generally very poor. This poor and annoying writing style pretty much prevented me from immersing myself in the novel so there was no point in continuing. Disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe this has 4.5 stars, 25 April 2013
I just recently got a Kindle app for my tablet, and downloaded a few of the science fiction novels with the most stars. Never again. I now know that the number of stars is meaningless as a measure of quality. I made it through to the end of this book, but I was convinced it was the work of a talented high school student rather than an adult with some experience of the world until I got to the bio.

The currently top ranked review is accurate and well judged, while being phrased in a kindly manner. I now know that I should check the actual reviews for an unfamiliar author, rather than judging by the number of stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long winded, 13 Feb 2014
She opened the cover on the coffee maker, pulled out the old filter and tossed it in the trash then replaced it with a fresh one. She spooned in a couple of scoops of ground beans, and filled the carafe with enough water to give her four cups of coffee--she was going to need at least three to get her going--and emptied the water into the reservoir. A few minutes after flipping the machine's 'on' switch, the smell of fresh brewed coffee began wafting enticingly around the apartment. Emily filled a mug with the steaming coffee before the machine had dripped even half of its precious liquid into the carafe. She walked to her perch at the window, sipping the delightfully strong brew.

Oh good grief, must have been going for word count. I just didn't care and stopped reading at 25%. The story was loaded with this nonsense. The terrible character development and the over use of adjectives was driving me crazy.

Exit Darkness, Enter Light: Book One of the Earth Cycle

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, tedious re-hash of established 'invasion' style sci-fi., 17 July 2013
It reads like a bad screen play from a sci-fi channel film.
The practicalities of situations portrayed in the book seem just poorly thought though & faintly ridiculous. The girl is electing to cycle around carrying provisions for a week in saddle bags? Making sure she has spare T-Shirts, Tins of food, bottles of water, sat-phone, shotgun, come on really - learn how to drive!, it'd only take an hour, not like you need to pass the test anymore and none of the other cars are moving...

And when the dog turns up I almost put the book down then and there - the only reason I 'finished' it (not that it finishes in any way really) is because I had nothing left to read on the train.

I cannot understand the majority of good reader reviews for this book, I'll not be trusting the reviews of other books from now on.

I get the impression its been written hoping for a quick conversion to film (a film I'll avoid like the apocalypse)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 Sep 2013
I honestly couldn't believe the reviews on this... It was so poorly written, I thought it was a children's book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Passable but hugely over-rated, 5 Sep 2013
P. Mcconnell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extinction Point (Extinction Point, Book 1) (Paperback)
I, like many others, was impressed by the star rating of this book however it really does not reflect the quality. Amazing really that The Road is rated the same.

The book has an interesting premise, an astonishing shocking premise. But the way it is told is very mundane; aside from a few admittedly exciting, though unoriginal, moments. It's told in tedious detail, micro-explanations like how the main character tied her shoes after she put them on (obviously), or turned the handle of the door before opening it. As another reviewer says, you could probably cut the book by a third and make it better.

The main character is just not interesting or believable. I was horrified when I got towards the end and realised there wouldn't be a conclusion and it was a book one of a series. Should have looked closer, I felt robbed of even a conclusion. It even seemed a random, bizarre place to stop. Indeed it never really got going.

I don't know how people can be so enamoured with this. If you haven't read The Road, just read that instead. It's a horrifying realistic portrayal of the human consequences of an apocalypse. On finishing I spontaneously started uncontrollably crying, weirdly the only time I have cried in about five years!

This book made me want to cry for other reasons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be better thought through, 20 May 2012
MR "I teach English as a Foreign Language in ... (Havant, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
On the one hand, there's a rawness about self-published books that can add excitement to the read. On the other hand, Extinction Point highlights just why books need editors.

Hyphens and apostrophes appear when they shouldn't, or don't when they should. The occasional homophone creeps in, such as a reference to an animal's tale - this ain't Rudyard Kipling! But these things are only minor irritants.

More serious is the sheer amount of waffle. I honestly think the word count could be cut by nearly half without hurting the book - indeed, it would make for a leaner read. We don't need every detail of how Emily packed each item in her bergen, and there are more succinct ways of telling us which tins she opened in which order with what kind of tin opener. On the other hand, when Emily, dirty and injured and hungry, occupies an abandoned house, we're not told if she checks if the water supply is running or if the cupboards contain food or medicine.

My biggest concern with the book is Emily's occasionally unbelievable behaviour. She's a savvy journalist taking refuge in her apartment with a computer that works (for now), and she has good reason to suppose that the Blood Rain has killed every human being except her. She is desperate to know if there are any other survivors. What is the absolute first thing she would do?

She would Google "Blood Rain", of course. She would check news sites, and webcams. That way she might actually gain vital information about the dangers outside her apartment BEFORE she saunters out into the transformed city.

Just how much can you load onto a bicycle? How difficult is it to learn to drive a car when there's nobody else on the road? Why isn't this experienced journalist making any attempt to record or pass on information?

On the plus side, the exploration aspects of the story are very enjoyable, and there's some satisfying imagery. Has the Blood Rain merely killed everybody, has it turned them into vampires or zombies, or has something unprecedented happened? The reader is no wiser than Emily, so we share her curiosity and dread.

Judging by the Afterword, I suspect Paul Jones is an author who listens to criticism. I have every confidence that he can address the issues I've raised without putting off the readers who gave him five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars good story but badly written, 6 July 2013
The story itself is engaging and I enjoyed it. That said, there are a lot of places where I was disappointed by the level of the writing. Too many times I found myself questioning the plot or finding silly mistakes.
Worth a read though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow......., 24 Jan 2014
I hoped the world would actually end, thus saving me from the 5 page description of how the character dislikes tomato soup... not my priority when an alien species is taking over New York. If the pages and pages of slow, unnecessary descriptive drivel were cut, I'm sure this three part saga could be printed in leaflet form.

Extinction Point (Extinction Point, Book 1)
Extinction Point (Extinction Point, Book 1) by Paul Antony Jones (Paperback - 19 Feb 2013)
7.64