5.0 out of 5 stars a pleasant surprise
Published on 18 Oct 2011 by I. M. Garrett

3.0 out of 5 stars I've obviously missed something
I bought this book based on the reviews I'd read both here and elsewhere. I agree it is well-written but thats as far as I do agree with the reviews. I kept waiting for something to happen. The characters float along, bobbing in and out of the plot. It's all very pleasant but sooo dull.
Published on 12 Jan 2012 by Lazy Lady

5.0 out of 5 stars a pleasant surprise, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
as this was a bargain kindle ebook I thought it worth a punt. And I was glad I did, a heart warming story of learning, love and discovery set against an unfamiliar backdrop. As with many translated books I felt the occasional clumsiness where a better phrase could have been used, but it did not detract from an enchanting book. Lobbi's voyage of self discovery is both simple and complex simultaneously. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Golden Glow, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Paperback)
A beautiful, uplifting book with a golden glow. Stunning descriptions of Icelandic scenery and flora, and of the southern European village and monastery rose garden. If you are in to lava flows, botany, fatherhood, roses, monasteries, or even cookery, or are a bit of a film buff, there should be something here for you. The child, Flora Sol, is absolutely endearing. This is an unusual, but very readable book, and I think that the author is a genius. On a surface level it is very worth while reading, but there is a lot going on below the surface as well. Read it and see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
My first Kindle experience and I managed to read this in two days after work. It's very easy to read, a wonderfully told story. I did feel though that I 'missed something' and I was waiting and waiting for something dramatic to happen, particularly near the end but there were no bombshells. It left me feeling contented but at the same time, unfulfilled! I would recommend this book though. It's a lovely story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but slightly unrealistic, 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
A very sweet, well-written story. But the characters seemed a bit unrealistic.

Plot: Young icelandic man has one night stand with young woman, results in child. Young man goes to Europe to look after a rose garden, young woman and child follow. Some very vague relationship angst follows. The end.

Nothing wrong with that, as far as it goes. I just found it hard to believe that a man of 22 could possibly be so unaware of his own mind and body. He has appendicitis (which can be extraordinarily painful), but seemingly has no idea what is going on. He thinks about sex, but in a very vague way, and never quite seems to fully understand it. I spent quite a lot of time wanting to shake some sense into him. The child, Flora Sol, is an absolute paragon of a child. At 9 months, she walks, talks, understands everything, and NEVER EVER cries or throws a tantrum. Yeah, right. Wouldn't life be nice if kids were really like that.

Overall, everything seems a bit dreamlike, with emotions screened through cotton wool. A very pretty story, but never really made an emotional connection, so just missed the mark with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful spiritual story, 4 Feb 2012
Sevillana (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
This book is a gem. Simple, but beautiful. This is one of those books that hook you in right from the start. A lovely endearing story with many layers but huge wisdom linked to fatherhood and the importance of family. A very clever piece of writing which I am looking forward to re-reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A green gem, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Paperback)
Basically, just a really lovely book... A nice story with a difference - gently and thoughtfully done. I would like to read further Audur novels as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greenhouse..go read, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
Like another reviewer I bought this bargain price book as a bit of a chancer...looking for something new.So glad I did,,what a lovely book.Stayed with me even when I wasn't reading it, very atmospheric.Beautifully drawn characters.Would love to read her other work.

5.0 out of 5 stars carray, 21 April 2012
Mrs. C. A. Ferry "carray" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
Bought it yesterday, read it yesterday! Thank you Amazon for bringing this book to my attention, It was such a pleasure to read.

The angst of loss, love, and growing into your own self, and a cautionary tale of contraception and one night stands.

A bittersweet coming of age novel from a male perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful story, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
This is an unusual read. It takes on a dream-like quality travelling from the cold bleakness of Iceland through dark forests to reach a sunny, hill-top monastery in southern Europe (Italy?).
The storyline stretches the credulity in places. Lobbi's casually conceived baby daughter, in whom he has shown no interest, is delivered to him and suddenly becomes the centre of his world, proving to be an exceptionally gifted (perhaps supernatural?) child. Why does Lobbi take the rose cuttings from his mother's greenhouse to Italy? How does Lobbi manage to transform the neglected, world famous rose garden in a matter of weeks?
There is no satisfying ending to the story.
It is a story that haunts you. I could imagine it as a beautiful, uplifting film.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that I wished was longer, 8 Nov 2011
M. James "Matt James" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
This is a lovely, gentle, quiet book about becoming an adult and finding your path, unusually written by a woman in the voice of a man. It is not dramatic, or even poetic, but it is charming throughout. I was rather disappointed that the end came too soon, when there seemed to be so much more story to tell, with the characters very much still emerging and developing. It's not really the sort of book that gets a sequel! Well worth a look, and a great book for book clubs I would think.

ARRAY(0xa67aeca8)

The Greenhouse
The Greenhouse by Audur Ava Olafsdottir (Paperback - 30 Aug 2011)
7.64