5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this
An elegant and straight forward guide to a skill we should all aspire to master, not just for business but for everyday life
Published 5 months ago by Minerva

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but nothing new
Ed Schein is as close to a hero as I have - I have always found his insights into organisational change to be very telling. What a shame that I found myself slightly disappointed by his latest offering, which is to do with interpersonal relationships at work and a 'new' (that's what he thinks anyway!) approach to the topic.

His basic premise seems to be that...
Published 20 days ago by Geoff Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but nothing new, 7 Aug 2014
Geoff Roberts "Change Catalyst" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling (Paperback)

His basic premise seems to be that our existing preconceptions/biases/prejudices (choose your word) about how verbal interactions happen between people are almost fatally flawed by existing cultural norms. Norms that operate within cultures and, to add a further level of complexity, differ between cultures. So, the subordinate black African neither disagrees with his superior nor looks her in the eye when talking - the former a widespread norm, the latter a clach between White Western and Black African norms.
The essence of 'Humble' Enquiry is offered as being to do with attitude rather than process - an attitude of genuine interest rather than one of 'going through the motions' or asking questions to which one already thinks one knows the answer, or not really being interested in the answer anyway.
He illustrates the problems caused by our default approach with examples such as the problems caused by power distinctions between airline flight crew causing crashes (because the subordinate co-pilot would not even speak up to his superior about problems that she could see coming but maybe the pilot had missed) or operating theatre staff who can also get into problems through power differences inhibiting essential communication - and others. None of the examples are new, and I have to say that I don't see the basic concept of asking a question with a genuine desire to know the answer new either.
The book has a feel to me of "What can I write this year's book about" rather than some of the groundbreaking stuff from earlier in his career. I might just about be able to suggest it to an up and coming leader, and it would come with a warning about repetitiveness and sometimes artificial categorisations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 30 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and interesting, 19 April 2014
The message of the book is simple but extremely powerful. We all think we know how to ask the right questions but this book gently challenges to analyse your own approach and to my mind helps you to realise where you can improve. Very enjoyable

4.0 out of 5 stars Our world needs more Humble Enquiry, 15 Jun 2014
A simple, clear and well articulated key message. We can all benefit from increasing our use of genuine authentic non-judgemental questioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Building high performing relations, 9 May 2014
Lars H. Nielsen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Humble Inquiry gives you the great questions of how to build strong relationships by balancing the Telling, Listening - and Asking. Without respectful relations you don't get the feedback and response which is needed to challenge your own convictions and habits to perform on the highest level ... I can strongly recommend this great book
Lars H. Nielsen
Author of "Winner Culture"

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 21 July 2014
I have to confess I haven't read all of this book - I returned it because I found the examples patronising, unhelpful and surprisingly narrow-minded.

4.0 out of 5 stars good ideas to help get the best out of staff, 23 Feb 2014
Jim Smith (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Rather than telling, this book guides us to ask (the right questions) to get the best out of interactions. A fairly quick read too

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Aug 2014
Great read

Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling
Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling by Edgar H. Schein (Paperback - 1 Oct 2013)
8.39