5.0 out of 5 stars Some views, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Parecomic (Paperback)
Various reviews for the book:

"As a primer on the history and theory of participatory economics, this title is never short on ideas, tracing the development of Michael Albert's theories on self-management, social justice, and internationalism, and their origins in the civil disobedience and consciousness-raising movements of the late '60s and early '70s. As a student at MIT, Albert was inspired by the culture of activism to found Z magazine, ZNet, and the International Organization for a Participatory Society. Some readers may wonder why Wilson (AX: Alternative Manga) and Thompson (the webcomie Green Benches) have chosen Albert's story for treatment as a visual narrative, and that treatment definitely makes some of book's issues more palatable to a wider audience.

Artist Thompson is also very adept at marrying the literal and the symbolic to allow Wilson's prose, and therefore Albert's ideas, to resonate with readers. There are moments, though, when the book stalls and readers find themselves wading through lengthy, text-heavy panel sequences featuring shots of Albert discussing a given issue. Still, Thompson and Wilson can be very inventive with their effects. Parecomic is inspired at times, and as a treatise on participatory economics, it's pretty great. As a comic, though, it's just pretty good."
- Publisher's Weekly

"Aspects of his personal, political, and philosophical viewpoints are well-balanced and presented skillfully through Thompson's expressive illustrations... this is an accessible and serviceable introduction to the principles of parecon and the vision of one of its founders. Recommended for readers interested in alternative economic models and the legacy of the radical 1960s."
- The Library Journal

"Parecomic brought me back to a time in my life when I regularly thought through these ideas and concepts, a time when my brain was working over time with new ideas and connecting the dots. This graphic novel challenged me to think through new ideas as well as the world we live in. Even better it did so in a way I didn't find boring or grating to read, much like some of the works referenced within it. Parecomic is a fine example of how far the comic medium has come. It's no longer ruled by only heroes in tights, it's now a tool in our greater understanding of the world and further education."
- Brett Schenker, Graphic Policy.

"Really enjoying reading it. I think comics bring something different to the experience. I was sitting in a cafe with my wife yesterday reading a comic book at 51yrs! Holding and reading a comic book makes you feel different... I guess comic book form has to be succinct and particular in what it chooses to impart to the reader. A difficult job I would gather. But truly enjoying it... I think you have done brilliantly and I will definitely be recommending the book to friends, even those not interested in activism."
- James, IOPS member in Australia.

"As a Kickstarter supporter I received my complimentary copy of "Parecomic" and read it through over the weekend. Congratulations, you and Carl Thompson created a very readable, comprehensive and inspiring book. Presenting Michael Albert's background and the historical development of parecon and paresoc, and its relation to Marx and others, turns a subject that can be often perceived as dry and impenetrable into one that is fresh, comprehensible and insightful. Your graphic book is an accessible introduction into the important ideas of parecon and paresoc. Thanks!"
- John, Kickstarter supporter

"I admit that I was nervous when I finally sat down to read the whole book. But it was just my creaking bones worrying, I guess, because the book is incredibly effective, in my view, at creating a friendly path into the ideas it offers. Sure, one can read longer full text books on the topics to get longer full text renditions. But there is something about seeing the images along with the more succinct text that really does help communicate the ideas. Parecomic is fun to read, but no less informative and, I hope challenging, as a result."
- from Michael Albert himself

4.0 out of 5 stars review of parecomic, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Parecomic (Paperback)
should be freely available to all educational establishments. good book. noam chomsky information very useful, and enlightening. worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Parecomic (Paperback)
I can't say much because I bought this as a present but the person I gave it to likes Michael Albert in general and loves this.

Parecomic
Parecomic by Sean Michael Wilson (Paperback - 26 Sept. 2013)