I have recently read a number of books in the area of whole food plant based nutrition and they all seem to start out well but then in some way leave me feeling I can't share that with friends for fear of being branded some sort of a freak.
Published 4 months ago by John Schofield

3.0 out of 5 stars The starch solution.
Slightly disappointed with this book. Most of the info. is the same as in his other books. The only redeeming feature are the recipes that his Wife has put in.
Published 11 months ago by Patricia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a whole food plant based nutrition book that doesn't turn out cranky., 20 Mar 2014
For example Eat For Health by Joel Fuhrman starts out great, but seems to advocate living on 1300 calories a day - surely madness for an active person?
The Starch Solution gives the health benefits of a plant based diet whilst providing all the energy you need to live an active life.
For an entertaining but opinionated advocate check out Durianrider on YouTube!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 13 Jan 2014
Philip Demetriou (Uk) - See all my reviews
I love this book, its been a great addidtion to my library of nutrition books and the recipies in it are fantastic!

Dr McDougal's plan works wonders and this stuff really should be thought in schools to our kids, the book has helped me loose lots of weight and bring my BMI down to around 21 all without doing any exercise! I really dont think i could ever go back to the standard diet after reading this and Dr Graham's 80/10/10 book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not well written, 31 Aug 2013
I agree with most of what Mcdougall says in this: whole starches really are the solution to most of our health problems. I believe that Mcdougall is one of the best nutrition experts out there and that he promotes a practical, inexpensive, healthy diet that can solve many health issues (as well as promote compassion to animals, protection of the environment and better stewardship of resources). As a general rule (there are exceptions) vegetarians normally tend to fail when they don't center their diets on starches and don't get enough high quality calories from carbs, i've seen this in my own personal experience when i tried to follow a diet high in vegetables and lower in starches: i felt weak and without energy, i simply wasn't consuming enough calories and when i reverted back to a starch based diet my energy shot right up again and i began feeling great. All major civilizations have always based their diets on starches and have thrived and all endurance athletes have always had to follow a starch based diet in order to win. My only criticism is that the book is not very well written and certain chapters are actually just parts of mcdougall's newsletters (some are really great but he could have rewritten them). Overall i would say the China study is probably a better book but the Starch solution has some superb information and is worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, 2 Jan 2014
This is an excellent book. Highly recommend. If everyone followed Dr McDougall’s advice there would be far less strain on the NHS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for those already convinced but requiring a battleplan, 13 July 2013
A perfect introduction to some of the essential paradigms of good health, aimed at an overweight and sceptical audience who have 'heard it all before' from low-carb gurus, supplement vendors and high-carb advocates. Mcdougall provides a framework for understanding who you should listen to when it comes to your health. In sum the admonition is: follow the money.

He does well to cram the science information and also a rather comprehensive game-plan into just one book, but just by the nature of such an endevour the science may not be as thorough as some readers might desire. However that is not to say the science information is very dissatisfactory or lacking. If you come to this book with a certain stubborness, you will find the science insufficient so therefore if it's a greater volume of proof you want then The China Study by T Colin Campbell should pass the test.

In general though if you want to possess a considerably greater control over your own health then this book is about as good a place to begin as you're likely to find.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual Standard, 11 April 2013
This review is from: The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! (Hardcover)
I thought the book to be his usual high standard but repeated a lot from previous books. I was disappointed though when if came to the recipes, there were so many for 6 or 8 servings! Excellent book to buy if you are thinking of going on a plant based diet. Tells you everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opener !, 5 Mar 2013
Brilliant. It's a pity that the sound advice will be missed by the majority.of people who are all brainwashed by the food industry and
Government for the sake of money!

4.0 out of 5 stars More conflict, 11 Aug 2012
Clare W. "claremacwatts" (Shotteswell, Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
My poor brain has been in conflict far too long about the best diet to bring health and longevity. Do we eschew carbs, or is it fats that are the demon. No wait it is cooked food that is the devil incarnate. Got that totally wrong yet again. This time get rid of the evil grains. Books, books and yet more books on nutrition shoot their way through my letter box. I am reaching the stage when I am going to stop swinging from diet to diet each time a new book hoves into view. I think my local supermarket may go out of business without my dashing in and out at least twice a week buying pulses and legumes, then next time nothing but fruit and veggies, then another time it might be the turn of animal protein to grace my fridge. I have finally decided to trust my own body to tell me what is the best diet for me. After all there are so many cultures eating totally different things and as long as they don't start eating the typical SAD diet they seem to stay pretty healthy. So this is going to be my last book on nutrition as I think I have them all now anyway. From now on I am going to eat what I feel and perform best on. So as far as this book goes it seems pretty sensible and well written. I am going to eat fruits, despite reading in several books that they contain fructose, and as we all know fructose is very unhealthy. I am also going to eat grains, and what's more I am going to cook them! However I am sticking to my lunchtime salad which I love despite it having things I have read are totally unhealthy, such as raw corn on the cob, and a bit of goat's cheese, and even worse, a glob of mayo! Plus I am having steamed veggies with my grain. I really don't fancy eating meat, fish or eggs purely because I don't want to, but when and if I do then I will. Sometimes I really want a bit of wild salmon in my salad, very rarely, but it does happen. So I am hedging my bets. When there is so much conflicting advice on the matter of something so serious as diet it can send you doolally, and seeing as I am half way there already I am gracefully absenting myself from the debate until something is proved 100% which is not likely in my lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book by a sincere and amazing pioneer., 7 July 2014
John McDougall is one of a bunch of pioneers who advocate a plant based diet as being the healthiest diet for us all to adopt. It is not a diet book however but it explains how our ancestors survived on a starch based diet as many still do today. There are also many amazing stories by people who have been cured of many different illnesses by making the change to a starch based diet. Overall a very interesting book and proof that by changing your diet you can enjoy a healthier life. I can vouch for this as I changed initially to a vegetarian diet and then to a complete plant based diet a couple of years ago and wonder why I didn’t do it years ago. The benefits have been enormous.
I would also recommend you see his many videos on YouTube.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, 7 July 2014
Interesting healthy alternative to the usual western diet. Well researched. Could be the answer to some of your health issues. Definitely worth reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›