Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2013
I bought this book for my daughter who is almost 9. She's very tall for her age, but still an innocent wee kid, so I didn't want a book that dealt with the facts of life just yet. I just wanted her to understand how her body would be changing and how she can look after herself.

I looked through loads of books, but the content of most of them was too advanced for her. This book is spot on. The pictures are cute and it's so well laid out. It covers the body from head to toe. Many books dive straight in on periods, but this is covered in the middle section of the book, so it comes across as no big deal - it's just another part of growing up. I've been able to introduce the 'period' facts without alarming my daughter. She's also taking responsibility now for washing and trying to eat more healthily.

I can't recommend this book enough. I've already bought copies for my nieces!
on 1 July 2015
Really useful book written for pre teen girls who are approaching puberty. Unlike other books which try to answer every question teens may have and therefore often include things which are a bit beyond younger girls, this covers the basics of skin, bras, hygiene, periods, hormones, body image and emotions in clear simple text with cheerful illustrations. It is an American book and so sometimes it uses terms which will need translating for a UK based child, but this disadvantage is quite small compared to its benefits
on 19 October 2015
Great book for those looking for their first book on puberty! I was looking for a book for my daughter about puberty, body changes etc without the sex references! This book is perfect talking about body changes, periods, first bras, feeling and general looking after yourself as you turn into a young lady eg eating healthy and sleep.
Would recommend this book to anyone looking for a book for their little girl as an introduction to puberty. It's laid out well, gives information without being graphic! So glad I picked his book over the others!
review image
on 29 May 2013
Very good book, able to read with my godaughter and also for her to read herself. Appropriate language and subject matter. Particularly liked the emphasis on good body image and the emotional difficulties encountered at this difficult time in a young girls life
on 27 August 2015
This is quite a nice book. Before you ask, yes it does have a couple of pages about sex in it which my daughter is not yet quite ready for. I solved the problem by taping the edges together and I will cut it open when we have discussed this issue. For the rest, periods, growing bust, aches, moods, cleanliness, etc. this book has put her mind at rest over the changes that she is beginning to experience. She is not keen on the growing up process she tells me, but at least she knows that nothing is wrong with her.
on 4 June 2014
I looked through endless books before being recommended this book. My daughter is 7 (youngest in her year group) so is amongst lots of girls who will be starting to turn 9 when she only has just turned 8. One of her friends has started early puberty (hair under her arms and down below). My daughter swims with her and I know she had noticed it so I though I'd fill her in so she's not left wondering. This book was great at covering just the necessary bits of a healthy lifestyle, puberty and periods. It doesn't cover sex or babies so it's just right for her to start off with and digest this before moving on to the next step. Highly recommended!! Only 4 stars though because it's very American!
on 17 June 2014
I bought this book for a 10 yr old, I wanted an introduction to puberty - periods, spots, body changes etc rather than references anal sex or slang terms for masturbation (which I found in other puberty books!). In that sense it's great, gave her lots of information without being graphic. The book is aimed at 8+ and the second book in the series is aimed at 10+, and I think it's marketed for the right age - my 10 yr old read within a couple of hours and has asked for the next.

The reason I haven't given it 5 stars are as follows:

I dislike the assertion body related things are embarrassing eg *build up your courage to ask your mother for a bra" (or words to that effect) - this features in a couple of places; as I pointed out to my child she doesn't need to build up courage to speak to me about things.

A double page about removing the hair they've just learnt they're going to get - shaving legs/waxing etc. I don't understand why this is in a book for younger girls, particularly when the next is 10+, surely this would be a more appropriate place.

Lastly a nod to washable hygiene products would have been good - there are a growing number of people using washable nappies, sanitary wear etc
on 28 May 2016
If you are looking for a first book to introduce the changes a girl experiences, this is perfect. I've been reading it with my 8yr-old & am very pleased with the layout, content & friendly tone. She has really enjoyed it as well- a different kind of bedtime story! I'm glad we've been able to cover the basics (we didn't read every detail, it will be good to come back to once it becomes more relevant) without having to talk about sex just yet. I have other books waiting, that go into more detail, but I am so glad I held them back and did this one first.
The word puns and alliteration reminded me of 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' and it just goes over a child's head, so is a tad unnecessary, but other than that, the Americanisms were not so frequent as to be irritating to this British reader. (Eg drug store, doctors office)
Overall- highly recommended.
on 10 November 2014
Absolutely perfect for my girls, aged 8 & 10.
The sections on what to eat (e.g. eat your greens and fruit for beautiful hair and skin) totally changed their eating habits.
Why do kids believe what they read in a book but not their parents? Doesn't matter, mission accomplished.
on 4 January 2015
I bought this with "the care and keeping of you 2" and "the feelings book" it's the perfect introduction before we have the "how babies are made ect " conversations