4.0 out of 5 stars Great art and stories but binding is bad, 10 Mar. 2011
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ballad of Rango: The Art & Making of an Outlaw Film (Hardcover)
Length:: 0:58 Mins

I was enjoying the book when I felt something was off. The pages came off the spine. Now, they are hanging by the threads that hold the pages together. I don't know if it's just my copy or the printing batch.

Anyway, if you're getting this book in UK or Europe, it's distributed by Titan Books (The Ballad of Rango: The Art and Making of an Outlaw Film. David S. Cohen, Gore Verbinski). The prices are slightly different. Not sure about the binding quality for that.

Luckily, the content is pretty good. The concept art are very beautiful. I think the artists really nailed the character designs. They look quirky and wacky, and have a great sense of personality, from their looks to posture to attire. The harsh desert environment sure is unkind to these characters. You can almost feel the dryness of their skin, or even sand in their hair. Most of the character designs are from production designer Crash McCreery.

Besides the town and buildings, there aren't a lot of other environment art. The other images included are some storyboards and film stills.

The film is made by Blind Wink Productions and Industrial Light & Magic. The book features a good amount of commentary on how the characters, design concepts and the experiences of working on a full length animation - a first for both the director Gore Verbinski's production studio and ILM.

The book is enjoyable with the great art and stories but the binding is a letdown.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Character Design, 21 Aug. 2013
I would recommend this book for character and creature designers. I recently did an image which involved re-designing an animal and giving him a personality. I found no better source which would show greater examples of what one can do with animals when it comes to interpreting their personalities. While it is mostly "rough" designs, I found them fantastic and a gift to my eyes seeing them up-close in drawn illustrations.

I would not give 5 stars to the film, but the book deserves it in my opinion. If not for the beautiful illustrations, pencilled and both pencilled and coloured, then for the new point of view to the characters in animation.

The Ballad of Rango: The Art & Making of an Outlaw Film
The Ballad of Rango: The Art & Making of an Outlaw Film by Cohen David S (Hardcover - 24 Mar. 2011)
Used & New from: £25.57