on 19 April 2015
This book has literally turned my life around.I have been struggling with shoulder pain,constant neck pain, and burning eyes for over a year.I had monthly massages,but inbetween I was still on painkillers, and constant doses of Ibuprofen.The burning in my eyes was the most unbearable sensation,I went to the opticians, and they couldn't find the source of the problem,but I couldn't find anything to relieve the discomfort.
My shoulder was progessively getting worse,most mornings I was waking up with a tight neck,which would gradually through the day give me a headache.
It was by a pure chance I came across this book, and the concept of self treatment intially appealed to me, as I was beginning to question how often I could realistically afford to keep having massages.
I read the book from start to finish, which is no easy feat, but it was so revealing to read all the syptoms I was experiencing were deferred pain from a point in my back.I got a small dog ball from the Pound Shop, and started to self massge.At first it was so tender I was nervous to keep going , but remembered what the book said that years of muscle spasm will not be rectified over night.
I have now been massaging my back for 3 weeks,usually between 3-4 times a day for short bursts as it states.I wake up with no neck tension, my shoulder is slowly easing off, and best of all,my eyes have stopped burning.I will continue the massaging as part of my daily routine, but I have also thought about my posture, and how I sit at the computor to prevent further damage.
This really is a fantastic book based on clear anatomical information, and real practical solutions.If you suffer from any pain that is related
to your back, this is book for you.I still cant believe after a year of contant pain and discomfort I am finally feeling comfortable, and strong but also in total control of my own body ( and drug free!)
on 25 May 2014
My partner and I use the advice given in this book all the time. For relief of acute and chronic pain it hits the spot like nothing else I've come across. It is based on the idea of referred pain: that because a particular part aches, it doesn't mean that's where the problem lies. Often it is the body reacting to a different problem, overcompensating, or via a kind of chain reaction. It works. It is the work of a real genius, one who is prepared to go against conventional wisdom and find solutions to problems in a new, unique way. Brilliant!
on 14 January 2014
I am a long distance runner. I bought the paperback version about 3 years ago and it has helped me manage most of own muscular-skeletal issues whereas previously I would pay to visit a specialist. Easy to understand and essential for athletes. Very happy to see a kindle version is now available
on 12 February 2015
Love this book. It arrived yesterday and I have already altered my technique to make it more effective. It talks you through the muscles and what to search for and what to avoid when massaging in order to stay safe. It also explains how to actually release the trigger points without it becoming a huge battle. A very holistic approach.
on 11 December 2015
I bought this for a friend who was having back troubles. I have had a copy for years, and several friends have bought one on my recommendation. It enables you to fix many niggles and injuries, at a cost of maybe half a consultation with a chiropractor or osteopath. GPs often have no idea at all about resolving musculoskeletal problems; and my experience of NHS physios suggests that their work is so strongly focused on achieving basic mobility in accident victims or old people that more complex stuff flummoxes them.

The simple structure of the book - locate pain on the diagrams, seek out the likely trigger point cause - works wonders in most cases. I have fixed lots of different sports injuries with it (my oen and others'), and thoroughly recommend it to anyone
on 17 March 2014
Detailed descriptions and images of trigger points / referred pain sites and easy to follow instructions for various methods of applying pressure.
on 13 April 2014
This is an excellant book in helping to treat yourself for muscular pains. It is clearly set out and full of diagrams to help work out where the problematic triggers points are. It will be in use for many years to come.
on 26 March 2016
This book helped diagnose the cause of my dizziness and head pain (trigger points in my SCM muscles) that my doctors have overlooked for 4 years. I've been treating myself for a week and my symptoms are already subsiding. The chapter on progressive relaxation has been particularly useful.

If you have muscle stiffness and pain don't hesitate to buy this book, it will probably change your life for the better.
on 11 March 2016
A comprehensive guide for trigger point release. I've owned the 2nd and now 3rd edition of this book in my life, and both have proven useful in removing pain from a life of exercise, office jobs and travel.

The book is well laid out, with plenty of diagrams showing you how to cure your muscular ails. The 3rd edition is better laid out, and has better diagrams and is worth buying if you are starting from scratch rather than trying to get the older version cheaper.

You'll probably need a few items to help with the massages in the book (or a willing partner!) but the easiest route is a couple of tennis/base/lacrosse balls and a sock!
on 9 February 2014
I chose this book because the sports therapist I went to used it and recommended it to me to help me self massage, which is essential if you wanted to stay pain free.
I explains techniques in depth with easy to follow exercises and is a must for anybody with problem trigger points, I have suffered for 20 years and been to different consultants who always said my problem was different things which could mean surgery, but after reading this book and seeing a sports therapist I have got my pain under control and almost gone, a perfect buy for sufferers of sports injuries.