on 8 September 2012
I loved this book! Tammy writes very honestly about her journey to personal happiness and the changes she went though on the way. Essentialy she shares the story of her journey, adding in other peoples stories where relevant. I enjoyed the storytelling approach, as it lets you get inside the writers head and see why they did things -not just what they did. Each chapter has a list of "micro-actions" that you can apply to your own life. Even whilst she gives suggestions Tammy never feels like she is telling you what to do or how to live your life. I will use many of these sugesstions and although I have read around the minimal/simple living path to happiness a lot already I did find fresh ideas and a new angle of looking at things which is refreshing. In particular she writes about letting go of her diamond ring, - I've had some silver jewelry hanging about in a bag, unworn for years and as a direct result of this book I sold it today for 26 pounds - the book has already paid for itself. A brilliant and entertaining read!
on 9 October 2012
I have followed Tammy's writings through her blog at [...] and was very excited after placing my order for her book. It doesn't disappoint! Myself and my husband are already in the process of de-cluttering, re-organising and re-evaluating our lives but even so, this just served as further inspiration to carry on as we are doing and I truly believe that once you have read this book it will open your eyes and make you think more about how you live your life and ultimately what you want it to be like/what you want to get out of it. As Tammy so rightly points out, you only have one life and it could end at any moment, it can change at any moment (very true) - this book will help you realise what today's consumer lifestyle and ideologies of excess.. buy more more more... work more more more... is doing to your health, relationships and bank balance. Well done Tammy. `Simply' brilliant.
on 15 February 2014
This book is one that I will want to read again and again, for she is such an inspiring lady with a rare integrity, humility, warmth and compassion.

In simplifying my life, she is an example I'd like to follow and if only more people were like here, the world would be a far better place.

The book is engaging and easy to read. Although focusing primarily on life in the US, many of the lessons there can be learned over here in the UK too. Highly recommended.
on 7 January 2014
What a great read! full of great co-star ideas and solutions to clear clutter and chaos from our lives and move towards freedom. lots of extra advice 're further research, blogs and websites. I know what I will be doing on my week off next week!
on 2 October 2012
Earlier this year I googled 'living simply' as something felt wrong with my life; I came across the blog RowdyKittens written by Tammy, which is really inspiring and amazing. This book is brilliant! It's easy to read, relevant and TRUE; we are now in the process of working through the 'Micro-actions' at the end of each chapter that prompt you to explore, think and action the changes you want to make in helping life feel more fulfilled, simplified and honest. ie living - not just doing what is perceived as 'the norm'. If you are thinking about how to get more out of life and less out of a shopping trip, get this book - its fab!
on 15 November 2013
Great ideas and thoughts that we all need to know. The 100 thing challenge has got me going on my sorting and getting rid of stuff!! The very stuff we may buy thinking it makes us happy, only really makes us happy when we give it to someone else making them and our selves happy !!
100 stars !
on 15 May 2014
Some great ideas and thought provoking actions to take, especially if you have debt and are not finding happiness in your current life surrounded by belongings.
Even though i am already most of the way there in terms of beliefs, and only buy what i need generally, i still found this book had ideas and actions to take that i found thought provoking and conducive to gaining more happiness.
I expected the book to be longer based upon the price, although i am still glad i purchased it.
on 7 December 2012
This book is an honest and thoughtful account of a journey towards simple living. I have enjoyed following Tammy's Rowdy Kittens blog for the past few years and am very happy to have this book. It was a page turner and I will definitely be re-reading it. Although Tammy has radically changed her life she manages to communicate the thought processes behind her and Logan's decisions in a way most people could relate to whatever stage they are at with simple living.The style of writing is inclusive and non-judgemental. There is plenty of research behind the themes of the book, and an extensive further reading section.
on 27 March 2014
I enjoyed this book which sounds authentic but also well researched with interesting quotes throughout the book.
Well worth reading.
on 22 July 2015
This book really shows up the difference between US and English cultures. At the beginning, the American author feels herself unable to resist the lure of advertisements and gets into debt, after trying to live as she thinks people-like-her should live. She undergoes conversion, and over several years gets rid of things she's bought, gives up her car, downsizes her house, and lives simply. This makes her happy, and is a lot cheaper than her previous lifestyle. Maybe my friends are a peculiar group, but this just couldn't apply to them. We don't want to live simply, but to live intensely. Love of friends and family, and being socially useful one way or another, is what turns us on. And the way we live needs various capabilities to support it. A simple life where you can't have visitors to stay in your tiny house? Where you don't read books unless your library has them? Not my style.
And, as well as this, I was simply bored by the book and the author's self-centred concerns.