5.0 out of 5 stars First in a great series.
Published on 1 Sept. 2009 by Sarah Lambert

3.0 out of 5 stars A light Summer holiday read
If you are looking for something thought provoking and stimulating then this is not for you.

Published on 22 Jan. 2012 by Mrs. C. L. Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars First in a great series., 1 Sept. 2009
Sarah Lambert "Book addict" (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I discovered Debbie Macomber after picking up a copy "A Good Yarn" in a service station! She has a knack of writing about real, likeable characters and I always want to know what happens next. "16 Lighthouse Road" introduces you to the residents of Cedar Cove, which is based on her home town of Port Orchard near Seattle. My only fault with her books is that they are too short - you read them so quickly you can't wait for the next one. She writes one a year and they come out each September - I have just finished reading her latest "92 Pacific Boulevard" (book 9 in the series). I would recommend anyone to buy this book and get to know all the Cedar Cove residents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family meetings, 5 Dec. 2009
M. Hardy (England) - See all my reviews
I have lost count of the number of Debbie Macomber books I have read to date but I feel as if I am visiting with family and friends whenever I dip into her books. I would love to hug some of the characters and bang the heads together of some of the rest of them who can't seem to see the wood for the trees. A good read seems to be assurred with every volume. Need I say more?

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 19 Aug. 2009
Agatha Raisin (Berkshire England) - See all my reviews
This was a lovely book. I enjoyed reading it and the next 2 books (it is the 1st part of a trilogy) on holiday. It is easy reading and has some lovely characters that you gradually get to know. I will be reading more Debbie Macomber as soon as I can get some!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A light Summer holiday read, 22 Jan. 2012
Mrs. C. L. Evans "write2car" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

However, if you want a novel which is easy going, light and gossipy then this, the first of a series of novels by Debbie Macomber, is for you. Reminiscent of a short series of Desperate Housewives, you are taken along with the up's and down's in the lives and relationships of four focal, strong willed/stubborn and resilient women.

I enjoyed peeking into their worlds, with the prose written just like a TV script, and was made to feel wanting of things to go right for the characters, which kept me reading. I felt frustrated in parts, when the characters were making life and relationships hard for themselves - which I guess is an indication of how well you get to believe in them. There is nothing too gritty - though some difficult life topics come up - and the type of ending you hope for is waiting.

For the UK reader, you have to transport yourself to the US, with the 'mom's', types of bars and diners, car models and other Americanisms, but this doesn't detract from the themes or enjoyment, even when geography is referred to which you would only have some grasp of by looking at an Atlas.

I would say that this is a chick flick type of read, a great summer holiday time waster and when I want something light and fluffy again I will no doubt move on to Number 2 in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful welcome to Cedar Cove, 24 May 2014
I love Hallmark Channel, it’s movies and tv shows are so heartwarming and enjoyable and when I saw the trailers for Debbie Macombers Cedar Cove with Andi McDowell I instantly wanted to view it, however I hate watching adaptations from books without having read the book first.

So I delved into 16 Lighthouse Road, the first in Macombers Cedar Cove series and was immediately captivated by the small Washington State town by the sea where a small town full of warm people weave their tales together. Centered around town judge Olivia Lockhart andthe other residents of the town each book in the series is designed to feature different peoples stories whilst other characters fade in and out.

I loved this first book, sharing the stories of Cecelia and Ian who find themselves denied an easy divorce by Judge Lockhart after the loss of their baby daughter, mixed with the mystery of the nursing home resident Olivia’s mother begins visiting. Finally the story of Olivia’s best friend Grace who’s husband Dan simply vanishes one day after a rocky patch in their marriage.

Simple stories, beautifully told and with the promise of more to come I was hooked with this series. I found that I wanted to move to Cedar Cove just to share a coffee with Olivia and Cecelia and slip into their lives. Each story was individually told yet woven together beautifully. Atmospheric and wonderful. An absolute joy and I’m now even more keen to delve into the tv show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 8 Feb. 2011
Tinksjane "tink" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
can really recommend this book....was really drawn into the stories running through the book, very cleverly intertwined. My only comment would be that I purchased this for my kindle and then shortly afterwards the combo pack of 6 books running in order (including this one) was reduced to buy for the kindle! So it now makes sense for me to buy that to read the next book, but unfortunately will be getting another of this book too. Never mind hey ho!

3.0 out of 5 stars Discovering Cedar Cove, 9 Aug. 2010
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the first book in Debbie Macomber's series. And sets the scene for subsequent books. No matter if you have picked up subsequent books before reading the first, they are easy to get into and all it will do is make you want to come back and read them all! It did me!

A quick introduction to a few characters then; Olivia Lockhart is the local judge who is not afraid of making a decision which might raise a few eyebrows and lower some lawyer's bills! Her mother Charlotte, widowed keeps herself occupied with everything that goes on at the Senior Center (I have used the American spelling here as these books are based in the US and written by an US author) and visiting people in a local nursing home. She also becomes a newspaper columnist when Jack takes a fancy to Olivia, but is she really that interested and what would her children think James and Justine? However their lives are being taken over by events which leave Olivia a bit behind.

Olivia's oldest friend Grace has to come to terms with a major change in her life, and despite holding it together for her grown up daughters, it is not always as easy it may seem.

We are introduced to Cecilia and Ian who have a decision to be made about their future, but being in the US Navy makes communication very difficult especially when a personal tragedy changes both their lives.

I admit to skim reading these books in part, I think because I know what the gist of the story is, and this makes me feel guilty in some ways, but in some ways not because I still feel I have read a lovely warm hearted tale where although there may be some upset along the way, everything carries on as normal around Cedar Cove. I have resisted looking on Debbie Macomber's website at the map of Cedar Cove, based on her home town, Port Orchard. I have the images in my head which I can return to whenever I pick up one of her books, sometimes reality is not quite as good as fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to read and absorbing, 24 Feb. 2012
I have read a couple of Debbie Macomber's "Blossom Street" books as well as "Thursdays at Eight" so I was familiar with her writing style when I started "16 Lighthouse Road".

I enjoyed it - it's easy to read and the characters are quite well-drawn. Even if you can't identify with their lives it is possible to empathise with them and want things to turn out right for them.

I like the fact that this story is set in a real place [Debbie Macomber's own town, though it is re-named] and the climate and environs are realistically described. You can even check the google street view to find where the place is if you want.

I'm now on for the next book in the series. I realise these are not intellectually demanding novels, but I don't agree they fall into the "chick lit" category. Chick lit [in my experience] usually involves descriptive sex scenes and a scattering of swear words and all characters are under 35. None of that applies to this book [or Debbie Macomber's other books I've read]. There are characters of all ages, the sex scenes are not graphically described and normally happen within marriage and there is no swearing that I recall.

5.0 out of 5 stars A love affair from the first book, 14 Dec. 2010
Discovered Debbie Macomber 2 months ago and gradually reading all her marvellous books. Love the people and how they interact in this and in her other books. Judge Olivia is a marvellous character with a good insight to the human mind. I don't know what I'll do when I've read them all, but in the meantime I can't put them down - what's a little dust and untidiness in a house, compared with reading a good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, enjoyable reading, 28 Jun. 2011
The first in the Cedar Cove series was also my first experience of Debbie Macomber's work. Easy to read (I completed this one in an afternoon/evening but then I am confined to sofa with a broken foot!) with well-drawn characters who interact logically, I found myself readily drawn in and followed the different little plots without confusion. It works as a stand-alone as well as part of a series but of course I want to know what happens to Grace so I've got 204 Rosewood Lane winging its way to me and can envisage working my way through the others over the summer. Great for holiday reading but be careful when you start reading - you won't want to put it down!

16 Lighthouse Road [With Headphones] (Playaway Adult Fiction)
16 Lighthouse Road [With Headphones] (Playaway Adult Fiction) by Debbie Macomber (Preloaded Digital Audio Player - 1 July 2009)
Used & New from: £64.50