5.0 out of 5 stars Minimum information, maximum threat., 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Freeman (Paperback)
I've met Clare London twice, and I must say that I think she's by far the brightest, funniest woman I've met in a long time.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I started reading "Freeman" and found it so tense, and so mysterious, that I couldn't fit my image of "Clare, The Woman" together with "Clare, The Writer".

Throughout my read there was a constant sense of threat hanging above all the characters. The titular Freeman is practically monosyllabic so the first person narration helped me to engage with him, but he's still a reserved narrator who revealed just enough to deepen my sense of intrigue. On more than one occasion I wanted to shake him and say "just say how you feel, man!" but that's what kept me coming back for more.

Clare proves herself to be an accomplished seamstress, stitching almost every character to the others with rich, complex background that made the climax so much more satisfying.

I know this to be one of Clare's personal favourites, and I can see why. This is a book that I'd be proud to have written myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, gritty and rich novel, 1 May 2009
Ms. A. Brooke "Anne Brooke" (Godalming, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freeman (Paperback)
This is fantastic writing - dark and rich and gritty - and has a main character to die for. Freeman is hugely intense and focused and very much a product of the shadowy world he lives in. The twists and turns in the plot are excellently done, and the character himself has many secrets, some of which are revealed at the end and some of which are not. I like that - the reader doesn't have to know everything.

The slow-burn romance is good too, and very real. A definite recommended read.

Freeman
Freeman by Clare London (Paperback - 4 Oct 2009)
9.00
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available