5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread making book on the market.
Published 7 months ago by Ianstreasure

3.0 out of 5 stars Good artisan bread making book.
It is a good book with a transversal overview of the bread making process. Easy reading and very clear. Recipes based on the use of certain kitchenware that turns it into a more expensive exercise than initially imagined, such as the use of 2 ducthovens!
Published 12 months ago by Pedro Goncalves

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread making book on the market., 4 April 2014
This review is from: Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza (Hardcover)
I purchased this book from another seller. I am working my way through the recipes within this book and so far they have all come out brilliantly. The author gives a list of equipment that he believes is needed for his recipes, but he does state that things like the 12L tub for mixing are his preference & not essential. I for one have no intention of getting one of these and use a 6L mixing bowl. Forkish always makes enough dough for two loaves of bread, I half his recipes and make enough for one at a time. He does not use a stand mixer, nor does he do lots of kneading, as his recipes are slow rise and most take at least 18hrs.. Forkish gives concise instructions and reasons for working the way he does and if you are not sure you can watch his methods on YouTube.

Some say that this book is not for the novice but I would argue why learn to make bread the wrong way, when you can start off as you should go on. I do agree with Forkish that we know far more about the science of bread making and we all have fridges, so why continue making bread the way we have made for over 100 years. We need to learn and adjust. Also if you just want to turn out a loaf of bread that tastes the same as you can buy from any bakers what is the point?

The one piece of equipment that you'll definitely need for his recipes is a Dutch Oven that can withstand very high temperatures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun book for serious amateurs, 7 May 2014
I have really only started baking bread properly since our daughter bought me Paul Hollywood's '100 Great Breads' which is a great starting point. I then bought his book 'How to Bake' and that takes you further. This book is much more concerned with you understanding the chemistry of bread-making and then letting you try it. There are aspects which surprise you at first - 3 grams of yeast instead of 20, 12-14 hours fermentation instead of 4, using much less salt and using plain flour instead of strong white flour and last, but not least, baking bread in a dutch oven! I have to say that, if you persevere, you will marvel at just how fantastic bread can taste! The only downside is that you will realise just how tasteless most shop-bought bread really is, even the stuff made by nationally recognised bakers. In a world where quality has been forsaken for efficiency, this book will remind you that less is more and that patience really does bring its own, wonderful rewards.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for the home baker, 26 Jun 2013
This is a very good book on true Artisan bread making - Forkish takes you through from the basic ingredients via simple yeasted breads right through to complex levain based (sourdough) breads. His methods are very easy to follow, but are completely different from the typical "leave it to rise for one hour" approach. This is a good thing. Most of his breads rise overnight and have a much more complex flavour because of it. He gives example schedules as well, so you can plan out the baking over a couple of days. This doesn't mean there is lot of work in creating bread here, it just takes a while - most of which time you can easily be out at work or off doing something else.

My favourite recipes are the "Overnight Country Blonde" and the "Pain au Bacon", both of which are stunning!

I have a couple of comments though:

In the levain based bread section, he advises building up an awful lot of levain, then chucking most of it away. I think this is wasteful, but I have had good success building up half the amount he specifies.

Also, to get the best from this book, you will need to either already own or invest in a Dutch Oven or large cast iron lidded casserole that fits into your oven. I use a Lodge Combo Cooker (see link below) which is absolutely perfect. If you don't have such a container, it really is worth buying one as it will take the bread to another level - there's also the benefit of being able to cook other stuff in it too!

Lodge Combo Cooker with Shallow Skillet Lid, 3 qt

Other than the recipes and techniques, Forkish's story is pretty interesting and entertaining.

All in all, it's a good read, a good recipe manual and a good book on the art and science of bread baking.

One final point....if you get hooked on this approach to baking, it is well worth buying good quality flour and salt. The yeast you can create yourself if you follow his advice on creating a sourdough starter. If you are in the UK, Shipton Mill produce fantastic flour for online ordering....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillliant!, 1 July 2013
I am a new convert to bread making and was somewhat daunted by this book which a friend gave me. I started with the Saturday white bread. I watched nervously as the mix expanded - and expanded - prodded it to see if sufficiently proved then tipped the whole into a le creuset - and 40 mins later it had transformed into the most amazing looking loaf (just like the one on the cover) - which tasted even better. I have progressed to the pizza bases - again wonderful - and am now plucking up courage to try the levain recipes.

I do not have all the equipment he suggests ( do have thermometer and also oven thermometer) so have improvised on a number of points to no apparent detriment. Quantities are given for 2 loaves so are easily scaled up or down as required

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book but seems complicated, 20 Sep 2013
It's an interesting book, and I enjoy reading it. But I would say it's different from other cookbook. It doesn't directly tell you how to make a good loaf. You got to read through the book and gain insights of different techniques and skills in order to achieve a successful loaf. It's definitely not a book for beginner. You must be pretty serious about bread for this book readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy baking Artisan Bread, 21 Jan 2014
Great baking bread book! I recommend to anyone, expeciality if you want progress in artisan bread baking. Forkish is very clear with his instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and exciting, 1 Nov 2013
Having made my own bread for some years I find this book both challenging and exciting. It is both challenging and exciting to make bread without the normal yeast and 2 rising methods and allows you to experiment with the wetness of the dough to your own preference. It is also challenging learning methods used in a bakery condition and reproduce them at home in a domestic environment. I have made some of the breads and the flavours do take getting used to if you bake normal breads but it is worth it. I am no expert baker of breads however I have a variety of books on bread and I find the description of the recipes very easy to follow and to adapt to different quantities. This will take my baking to another level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its superb, 4 Nov 2013
I started with Peter Reinhart, The Breadbakers Apprentice and that was great too, But this book really took my bread to another level. If I could post a photo of my first bread with his book I would. Beautiful crust with light airy crumb and big holes! Cant wait to try out the other recipes.

This book is written for the home baker in mind, so my only gripe is his volumes... 1 kg of flour? However you can halve them as I did. Just be nice if his recipes were already halved (because who bakes 2 loaves of bread for home anyway) and you could double up if you needed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bread making book I ever owned, 21 April 2013
This book is a must for everyone who wants a top notch loaf at home! Believe me your bread would stand up against those sold in the best bakeries anywhere!
I have decided to write a review after reading some bad reviews about this book on the US Amazon. Someone said that the book is too personal and the author dedicated too much of it to his personal details and life. I personally loved that particular chapter as it made me think about bread beyond just as a food. Anyone who is looking just for new easy bread recipes don't bother buying it. This books offers you complete artisan baking education with a collection of recipes for fabulous breads and pizzas, as well as very precise instructions. I would say this book is for someone who is interested not just in perfect results but in the process as well! I thought that I was quite an experienced amateur baker, but this book opened up a completely new world of baking to me and made me understand that to produce a decent loaf from thousands of fancy ingredients is not difficult. To make gorgeous looking and tasting bread using just water, flour, salt and yeast- this is a challenge and an art! I would say it's no less important and magical than in wine making.
My first attempt was white bread with poolish, which is an overnight pre-ferment. It was quite challenging as it is tricky to handle a wet dough but the results exceeded my expectations - perhaps it is the best loaf I have ever made.
Cannot wait to test all these recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its the gift that keeps on giving!, 25 Dec 2012
I gave this to my husband and he has made the "quick" bread recipe 5 times in the last two weeks and it has been perfect every time! This is seriously some of the best bread I have ever had, including that had in multiple trips to France. Note that about the first 70 pages are description and there aren't that many recipes, but if you are interested in learning how to make amazing crusty rustic French bread at home then I cannot recommend this book enough. This is one of my best ever purchases. Happy baking!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›