5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread making book on the market.
Published 11 months ago by Ianstreasure

It's a good all rounder great breads parts in depth others plain and simple ,love the baguettes, this book would be in my top 5 of bread books

There are a lot of very dark crusty breads here , I prefer some lighter but it's all choice and I wish I had an oven that goes to 500 deg

But all in all a good book
Published 1 month ago by R. A .U

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread making book on the market., 4 April 2014
This review is from: Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza (Hardcover)
I purchased this book from another seller. I am working my way through the recipes within this book and so far they have all come out brilliantly. The author gives a list of equipment that he believes is needed for his recipes, but he does state that things like the 12L tub for mixing are his preference & not essential. I for one have no intention of getting one of these and use a 6L mixing bowl. Forkish always makes enough dough for two loaves of bread, I half his recipes and make enough for one at a time. He does not use a stand mixer, nor does he do lots of kneading, as his recipes are slow rise and most take at least 18hrs.. Forkish gives concise instructions and reasons for working the way he does and if you are not sure you can watch his methods on YouTube.

Some say that this book is not for the novice but I would argue why learn to make bread the wrong way, when you can start off as you should go on. I do agree with Forkish that we know far more about the science of bread making and we all have fridges, so why continue making bread the way we have made for over 100 years. We need to learn and adjust. Also if you just want to turn out a loaf of bread that tastes the same as you can buy from any bakers what is the point?

The one piece of equipment that you'll definitely need for his recipes is a Dutch Oven that can withstand very high temperatures.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for the home baker, 26 Jun. 2013
This is a very good book on true Artisan bread making - Forkish takes you through from the basic ingredients via simple yeasted breads right through to complex levain based (sourdough) breads. His methods are very easy to follow, but are completely different from the typical "leave it to rise for one hour" approach. This is a good thing. Most of his breads rise overnight and have a much more complex flavour because of it. He gives example schedules as well, so you can plan out the baking over a couple of days. This doesn't mean there is lot of work in creating bread here, it just takes a while - most of which time you can easily be out at work or off doing something else.

My favourite recipes are the "Overnight Country Blonde" and the "Pain au Bacon", both of which are stunning!

I have a couple of comments though:

In the levain based bread section, he advises building up an awful lot of levain, then chucking most of it away. I think this is wasteful, but I have had good success building up half the amount he specifies.

Also, to get the best from this book, you will need to either already own or invest in a Dutch Oven or large cast iron lidded casserole that fits into your oven. I use a Lodge Combo Cooker (see link below) which is absolutely perfect. If you don't have such a container, it really is worth buying one as it will take the bread to another level - there's also the benefit of being able to cook other stuff in it too!

Lodge Combo Cooker with Shallow Skillet Lid, 3 qt

Other than the recipes and techniques, Forkish's story is pretty interesting and entertaining.

All in all, it's a good read, a good recipe manual and a good book on the art and science of bread baking.

One final point....if you get hooked on this approach to baking, it is well worth buying good quality flour and salt. The yeast you can create yourself if you follow his advice on creating a sourdough starter. If you are in the UK, Shipton Mill produce fantastic flour for online ordering....

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun book for serious amateurs, 7 May 2014
I have really only started baking bread properly since our daughter bought me Paul Hollywood's '100 Great Breads' which is a great starting point. I then bought his book 'How to Bake' and that takes you further. This book is much more concerned with you understanding the chemistry of bread-making and then letting you try it. There are aspects which surprise you at first - 3 grams of yeast instead of 20, 12-14 hours fermentation instead of 4, using much less salt and using plain flour instead of strong white flour and last, but not least, baking bread in a dutch oven! I have to say that, if you persevere, you will marvel at just how fantastic bread can taste! The only downside is that you will realise just how tasteless most shop-bought bread really is, even the stuff made by nationally recognised bakers. In a world where quality has been forsaken for efficiency, this book will remind you that less is more and that patience really does bring its own, wonderful rewards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book but seems complicated, 20 Sept. 2013
It's an interesting book, and I enjoy reading it. But I would say it's different from other cookbook. It doesn't directly tell you how to make a good loaf. You got to read through the book and gain insights of different techniques and skills in order to achieve a successful loaf. It's definitely not a book for beginner. You must be pretty serious about bread for this book readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bread making book I ever owned, 21 April 2013
This book is a must for everyone who wants a top notch loaf at home! Believe me your bread would stand up against those sold in the best bakeries anywhere!
I have decided to write a review after reading some bad reviews about this book on the US Amazon. Someone said that the book is too personal and the author dedicated too much of it to his personal details and life. I personally loved that particular chapter as it made me think about bread beyond just as a food. Anyone who is looking just for new easy bread recipes don't bother buying it. This books offers you complete artisan baking education with a collection of recipes for fabulous breads and pizzas, as well as very precise instructions. I would say this book is for someone who is interested not just in perfect results but in the process as well! I thought that I was quite an experienced amateur baker, but this book opened up a completely new world of baking to me and made me understand that to produce a decent loaf from thousands of fancy ingredients is not difficult. To make gorgeous looking and tasting bread using just water, flour, salt and yeast- this is a challenge and an art! I would say it's no less important and magical than in wine making.
My first attempt was white bread with poolish, which is an overnight pre-ferment. It was quite challenging as it is tricky to handle a wet dough but the results exceeded my expectations - perhaps it is the best loaf I have ever made.
Cannot wait to test all these recipes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and exciting, 1 Nov. 2013
Having made my own bread for some years I find this book both challenging and exciting. It is both challenging and exciting to make bread without the normal yeast and 2 rising methods and allows you to experiment with the wetness of the dough to your own preference. It is also challenging learning methods used in a bakery condition and reproduce them at home in a domestic environment. I have made some of the breads and the flavours do take getting used to if you bake normal breads but it is worth it. I am no expert baker of breads however I have a variety of books on bread and I find the description of the recipes very easy to follow and to adapt to different quantities. This will take my baking to another level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real bread from your own kitchen, 15 Jan. 2015
great book, written with love and passion for the subject, it's a fascinating insight into bread making with lots of great information. Written by a professional who really understands the needs and limitations of a domestic kitchen and amateur - but it's not oversimplified and there's a huge depth of knowledge behind the writing. Thoroughly recommended for anyone looking to make a really good loaf of bread!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 22 Feb. 2015
N. Lott (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Outstanding book. Despite the multitude of recipes it is essentially one method with variations. But what a method!

It's a little more involved and meticulous than traditional home bread making but not particularly arduous, and boy does it make good bread.

His story at the start is also a pretty good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly one of the best bread books I have read in a while and used, 12 Jan. 2015

But all in all a good book

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning in-depth book on the art of elemental bread making, 10 July 2013
Tartine Bread by Chad Robertson brought together everything that I'd picked up myself from working towards the sort of bread I wanted to bake & sell.

This book takes a lot of those techniques and details and looks at them even more closely. I didnt learn a whole lot from the book bar a few good tips and some well balanced formulas but I love having all of this style of bread making consolidated in one place for reference. And it made me take another look at how I can manipulate temperatures to fit in with my life ("Time and Temperature are ingredients"). All of which have added up to being well worth the price of the book. I'd definitely recommended this book for beginners and experienced bakers. Although bare in mind the author is providing you will a breaducation (sorry couldn't help myself ^-^) rather then an endless list of recipes. But with this book you'll be tweaking and coming up with your own in no time and that is what its all about!.

The layout and style of this book are top notch. Clean and precise without being souless. A stunning in-depth book on the art of elemental bread making.

10/10