Format: HardcoverChange

on 5 October 2014
I bought this book on spec after Amazon recommended it following another French cookbook purchase. All I can say is that I am delighted! It is a joy of a book, both as a collection of recipes as well as a reflection of living, cooking and eating in Paris today. It is very easy and enjoyable to read. Just as importantly (or more importantly to some, maybe) the recipes are excellently described, well illustrated and the end result has been a great success for me each time - I am an OK home cook with not much time. David has worked as a professional chef in California for Chez Panisse - the inspiration for so many, including Sally Clarke of Clarke's Restaurant, in London. But you don't need to be a professional chef at all enjoy it. In many ways his book reminds me of Nigel Slater's books - written with great passion and insight by somebody who delights in food and wants to inspire the reader to do the same. The book is a very personal account and I found immediately that I liked David's voice; his keen observations on things French and his sense of humour permeate the whole. I have now started reading his blog - equally delightful - and have ordered his other cookbooks. He is a real find and I wish I had known about him sooner.
on 23 June 2014
A lovely book which has keen insights into the joys of being an expat in Paris. Recipes we have tried have worked very well. Highly recommended
on 18 February 2015
A really nice book & fun to read as well. Good pictures & sensible recipes that all can cook.
on 5 May 2014
Enjoyed this book very much and will be returning to it many times for the wonderful recipes. Have enjoyed all of Davids books and his blog keeps us in touch with Paris. Thanks!!
on 18 January 2015
Beautiful photos, recipes and stories, bought it for a friend who loves Paris and cooking, she loved it! The finish on the book is great too
on 16 May 2014
I hadn't heard of this writer or his blog, but found this book interesting nonetheless. It's a personal account of one man's love affair with Paris, albeit with a few digs at what Parisians actually eat (some readers might find that this, coming from an American, seems rather odd).

Beautifully illustrated, and even if you don't intend to follow any of the recipes (I have bookmarked a few), it conjures up the tastes, smells and sights of Paris.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview Kindle copy.
on 14 November 2014
Brilliant book even makes mash and French beans taste amazing!!!
on 9 July 2014
Having lived in France for 20 years, I love these books
on 10 September 2015
Lot's of great recipes and information. Inspiring.
on 2 February 2016
This is a great cookbook. Writing is first rate.