5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing Manual
I bought this book on the recommendation of a friend but had low expectations. I thought it was going to be a jobs manual related mainly to the USA. How wrong I was.

This book addresses the task of finding a new job in such a detailed, thorough way that it could more properly be called a life review. In fact, the author suggests you do treat unemployment as a...
Published on 4 Dec. 2012 by Jennifer Pittam

3.0 out of 5 stars Streamlined version
A quick review to say that, while I love this book - I borrowed a very old copy and was really inspired by it, so decided to get the most up to date version - I sent this particular one back as it is missing a lot of what helped me in the previous editions.

It's a 'hard times' edition for the recession, and as such is streamlined and very practically focussed,...
Published on 17 Nov. 2009 by T. Preston

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Parachute' 2009, 4 Sept. 2009
I have been aquainted with this job finder/career changer classic since the mid 90's and in fact have recommended the text to many people over the years. I first used the book as the basis for a significant career change of my own and believed that I had a reasonably good handle on it's content and method. Recently I have entered a new career changing phase and as a 1st step ordered and read, cover to cover, the latest version. Good move: significantly revised and updated to reflect the authors evolved thinking but also the variety of ways in which the internet can be used. What is so impressive is the substance behind the practical methodology that is clearly laid out: sure we all need to work, and a job search can be scary and daunting but the book inspires confidence that great and satisfying opportunities are out there and available to anyone who wants to go find them. Buy it and apply it-it works!

4.0 out of 5 stars The career advisor I never had, 19 July 2009
I am a recent graduate with a sense of what I am supposed to be doing. From careers advisors to the friends of friends I've asked for help, no one has given advice or even indicators as well as Richard Bolles. He starts with advice, dos and don'ts, and a variety of other helpful hints and said in a way thats encouraging (much needed to those stuck looking for jobs). Part 2 is where this book becomes unique from others in its genre - the flower diagram and the multitude of excersizes that come with it. At first it might seem like a big time commitment but it will help from finding a good opportunity to filling out the application - and you will probably learn a few things about yourself in the process! Don't forget this edition is specifically done for those seeking a job in the recession. My final note: very helpful and already been pushing it on my friends ****

5.0 out of 5 stars Real job advice for today's economy, 15 July 2009
With so many job hunting books focused on things that don't matter like Resume writing and Cover letting writing. What Color is your parachute is one of the few books giving you practical advice that will work in this economy. I first picked up what Color is your parachute in 2004, after sending out a thousand resumes and not getting a single interview. Using the statistics in the begging of the book, I realized what I was doing was a waste of time. I changed my approach to speaking with real people and doing informational interviews. It wasn't long before I convinced a company to create a job just for me.

Chris Pires - Author of "Shred Your Resume and Find a job Fast"

Shred Your Resume and Find a Job Fast

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding resource for the serious jobseeker, 2 Nov. 2013
**THIS REVIEW RELATES TO THE 2014 EDITION of What Color Is Your Parachute? 2014: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers**

I credit the 1995 edition of this book with setting me on the path to becoming a career coach and writer. As a practical guide to moving into the right career, it's hard to beat. At 384 pages this latest 2014 edition is also pretty comprehensive. Some may be put off by its length, but the great thing about it is that it's possible to "dip in" to find the information that most suits at any given time.

It's divided up pretty logically:

CHAPTER 1 - Outlines the key things that job hunters and career changers need to know about the world of work today, including being aware of the dramatic recent changes which have resulted from today's economy (like growing conservatism in the workplace, and the increased length of time of the average job hunt).
CHAPTER 2 - Covers the importance of the Internet in the job-hunt, and why "Google is your new resumé" - lots of important information here, particularly for those of us who take our online activities for granted and could do with being reminded to take care of how we present ourselves in cyberspace!
CHAPTERS 3-5 - Give a comprehensive outline of the job-hunting process itself, including how to find vacancies, tackle interviews effectively, and negotiate a decent salary.
CHAPTER 6 - Provides information on troubleshooting for those times when the job-hunt isn't going the way you want it to.
CHAPTER 7 - Focuses on an approach to understanding yourself and what you need from a satisfying career (and includes instructions on how to build up The Flower - a diagram of your possible work. This is one of the key features of the book, something that's unique to 'What Color Is Your Parachute?').
CHAPTER 8 - Covers how to carry out "informational interviews" to find out details of potential careers and job opportunities.
CHAPTER 9 - Deals with personal handicaps and potential obstacles.
CHAPTER 10 - Describes several options for changing careers.
CHAPTER 11 - Sets out how to start your own business.

As usual, the Appendices - the now-famous 'Pink Pages' - are an absolute goldmine of information and good sense, and cover such key topics as 'Finding Your Mission in Life', 'A Guide to Dealing With Your Feelings While Out of Work', and 'A Guide to Choosing a Career Coach or Counsellor'.

I particularly appreciate the focus the book gives in guiding readers to build up a detailed picture of the work they're equipped to do. It's an approach I now take with my own career coaching clients, and I've found it to be extremely effective. In the face of a difficult economic climate, it's still a very good idea to make sure that the career we're chasing is the right fit for us - otherwise we're going to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get out of it. 'What Color Is Your Parachute?' sets out a very effective process for doing just that. It's not an easy quick fix, however - it does require the reader to do some work! That's as it should be, given the important topic we're dealing with here.

This is still one of the few career guides (apart from my own!) that I prescribe as required reading for my clients and students. One last thing - I also recommend it to anyone who thinks they *might* want to find a new job or change careers at some point in the future. Why wait until the situation has reached critical point? Follow the steps in the book now - the information you'll unearth will be fascinating and deeply useful for the future.

Despite some repetition in later chapters and a few minor glitches with diagrams in the Kindle edition, I still think this classic guide deserves five stars. By the way, this is a book that works best in hard copy anyway. You'll want to scribble notes in the margins!

Review by BRIAN CORMACK CARR, author of How To Find Your Vital Vocation: A Practical Guide To Discovering Your Career Purpose And Getting A Job You Love

5.0 out of 5 stars If you give it the time, you get the results, 27 April 2010
Bought this book several years ago when decided wanted a 'career' rather than a job. OK, it is quite American, and because the author is a minister, it does cover faith too. However, this is written in one chapter, and so can be easily skipped.

Getting past all that (which is not particularly difficult) this is a very practical manual that makes you assess your life skills, and how you incorporate these into your career. To get the best out of it, you need to treat it as a process, set up time to evaluate the information and carry out the exercises and be disciplined about this. The book offers practical advice and insights, from identifying dream roles to how to get interviews. From my tried and tested experience, it does work. However, I worked through it over a period of six weeks to start with, and then gave myself another year to make the change. I think that the good thing was as I became more clear on what I wanted to do, I became less panicked about changing roles.

I made a massive leap from one discipline into another (went from being a manufacturing project co-ordinator in a large multinational to a marketing manager in a small international consultancy) but the job was better suited to my skills, and gave me the opportunity to deploy them. It is true that if you love doing something, you are more likely to be good at it, four promotions later I still wholeheartedly agree with this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright if you know what you want, 7 Mar. 2008
I hoped this book would give me some insight into why I was drifting around feeling underchallenged and how I could finally find out what I wanted to do with my life. It didn't. It asked me the same questions I had been asking myself for years. If I knew the answers I wouldn't have bought the book.

Now, I'm not blaming the book for my predicament, but I am blaming the advertising bunkum and spiel for saying the book is what it isn't.

Also, very annoyingly, all the examples of "jobseekers" in the book were fabously high-flying supremos who wanted a life-change, not poor confused bozos like me who don't even know where to start!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all, 30 May 2013
This review is from: What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers (Paperback)
I had to buy this book for a class I took in Summer on Sustainable Careers. The book turned out to be a great read and was filled with lots of self-excercises; which means that one will have to spend a lot of time thinking. I discovered new skills of myself that I never would have considered it to be important for a career. I also got to know myself in a more in-depth manner and what my priorities are in life and what I wanted to achieve. A great book for everyone in the career world.

2.0 out of 5 stars Help book, 21 Jan. 2010
This book is really aimed as American people. I would not recomend it to help British people.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Evergreen of Career Guidance Books, 24 Feb. 2010
Dick Bolles's Parachute is the ultimate job hunting handbook, packed with advice, experience, knowledge, and tips. It is not beyond reproach - some may find it a tad preachy, others the grammar overly quirky - but the canny reader should look beyond to the accumulated wisdom within. Bolles's personal flower diagram, whereby you lay out your transferable skills, interests, values etc to try and envision the job of your dreams, remains the single most useful tool in bottom-up career planning. For the alternative top-down, demand-driven, passion-driven approach, where you identify a range of jobs that inspire you and systematically screen them for fit with your strengths, the reader should look elsewhere. But Bolles's everlasting Parachute remains the yardstick by which all career guidance books are judged.

Vaughan Evans, business and career strategist
Author, BACKING U! A Business-Oriented Approach to Backing Your Passion and Achieving Career Success

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical but very geared to USA, 26 April 2010
Mr. D. R. Moore "Damian" (Norwich UK) - See all my reviews
This book has some good practical advice but it is very geared to the USA.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›