4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 11 April 2014
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chew Volume 8: Family Recipes TP (Paperback)
I think we can all agree Chew is a weird comic. A cop who eats bits of people to find out how crimes were committed in a post-avian flu ravaged world where chicken is outlawed and vampires wander about, intergalactic flame writing fills the skies, and Poyo, a fighting cock with cybernetic implants, is so cool and badass he could give James Bond a run for his money? Yeah that’s pretty weird. And yet - 8 volumes in! – John Layman and Rob Guillory somehow make Chew an even weirder series (by the way I’m using the word “weird” as a definite positive)!

Right away, #36 opens with a fake-out – ha fooled ya, it’s really #29.5! We’re taken back to when Toni was still alive and about to cut off her toe for Tony to eat later on. She also helps out Sage who’s gotten in some trouble with the mafia. It’s interesting to see how Tony has been side-lined as the main character by a number of the female characters like his sister Toni, his girlfriend Amelia and his daughter Olive.

There’s more family business as Tony helps out his brother Chow and Olive learns about her mother and father’s courting days through chomping on her dead mother’s bits (she’s inherited Tony’s powers – and then some!). I’m really glad that Layman’s brought focus back to Mason Savoy who we catch up with at the FDA Supermax Food Prison. He’s a great character who’s been missing for a while now – here he gets some awesome scenes as he continues his search for the truth behind the bird flu epidemic.

The usual foodie craziness ensues in this volume (my favourite being the Pastransformers!) and there’s a Poyo splash page as he battles Mutant Corn and Superfish, but that’s not what makes this book weirder than the norm – hell, if you’re a regular (and why wouldn’t you be if you’re reading a review of Volume 8!), then this stuff is what you’d expect from a Chew book!

Amelia brings out a gallsaberry (a weird alien plant from Yamapalu from earlier in the series – it tastes like chicken but it’s not) she’s been secretly growing and nibbling on. It’s been giving her weird visions and she’s been writing a novel in an alien language she can’t read. Pretty odd stuff. Couple that with Toni, who’s been wandering about now – dead – like a Jedi spirit nattering to Tony, the only person who can see her and that’s crazy. But there’s more!

Add some psychedelic chog to the gallsaberry and… I’m not giving it away here but: whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Family Recipes is one of the funniest volumes of Chew I’ve read in a while. Stoned Tony and John are super-funny – they become a rabbit and a fox in their minds – especially when they raid the pillow factory!

If there was one criticism of this comic, it’d be that things are a little too easy for the characters when they face adversity. Toni defeats the mafia easily, ditto Olive and the Frenchie food terrorists, ditto Mason and the candyman – I realise they’re comedic bad guys but still, they’re framed as obstacles and they’re really anything but. Anyway it’s a very minor point in an otherwise brilliant book.

And Chew Volume 8 is brilliant. 8 volumes in and the series is still exciting, original, inspired, and funny as hell. Layman’s writing was already very good but he’s getting better and better, while Guillory’s art is as beautiful as ever - he even shows a few new tricks in this volume with regards to the psychedelic weirdness.

Family Recipes is home-cooked yumminess slathered in awesomesauce – winner, winner, (banned) chicken dinner!

4.0 out of 5 stars This menu is getting more adventurous by the minute..., 17 April 2014
This review is from: Chew Volume 8: Family Recipes TP (Paperback)
I feel like I should review this, but wow... where do you really begin with a review about Chew?

Chew, as anyone who is reading this will no doubt already know, is a weird series. An extremely weird series (in a good way mind) and each time I've had no idea which way the story was going to head (Which for someone who's normally figured out the ending of a book, tv show, game, etc, is quite refreshing).

This chapter I liked for focusing on a wide range of characters, such as Olive which was pretty cool, you'll know why when you read it. Another character who we get to find out more about is Toni, she was given more depth which is always nice and I found myself liking her more and more, which made previous events feel even sadder.
Finally, after some very interesting characters and powers, we get to see Tony and Colby have another wacky adventure, which somehow managed to make the series feel weirder...and yet managed to keep entirely inline with everything we've seen so far.

I've kept the good points quite vague, because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but it is most certainly weird, but I quite like that. One thing I will say, is reread some of the previous books before jumping in, since it took me a couple of moments to realise what was going on.

Negative point, as another reviewer has commented, some of the issues seem to get resolved a little too quickly, and my only other niggle is that I'll have to wait a number of months for the next one haha. (I would have rated this at 4.5 but unfortunately, I'm either incompetent, or Amazon doesn't let you.)

Now to finish up, it's jam packed and there's plenty of action occurring, and lots of quirky bits and a few references added to a vast number of panels that just add something a bit extra to the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up!, 23 Sept. 2014
For yet another volume Tony Chew is relegated to being a bit player in his own comic. This could be seen as worrying as Tony has made an excellent vehicle for us to ride along with in Layman’s convoluted plot. But Toni Chew steps in – even though she is dead – with her unique sense of humour and shows us a good time.

With so many wonderful characters at Layman’s disposal he can’t resist ditching the humorous detective story for an ensemble family drama. Unfortunately many of these characters get so little screen time we are in danger of forgetting what made them so great in the first place.

The series seems to be in an awkward middle ground, trapped between characters and plot. Speaking of which we do take a step forward in the Avian Flu thread that was the set-up for the whole story in the first place. There are so many balls in the air at the moment that we aren’t really sure where we should be looking.

The great art performs its dependable magic once again. No one uses colour as boldly as Guillory with every panel dripping with vibrant power. His faces are dynamic, packed with elastic expressions that make the figures move as you read. Dream sequences, flashbacks, trip-outs, and science fiction daydreams are all mastered with aplomb. Never was an artist and a series so perfectly matched.

Despite appearing unfocussed and overburdened, and having lost the incredible narrative trickery that launched this voyage, it is still better than a lot of its competitors. There is heart and humour at play and you won’t want to give up on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up!, 23 Sept. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Continued awesomness!!!, 5 Dec. 2014
Mr. M. Rutland "Matt" (Brigg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chew Volume 8: Family Recipes TP (Paperback)
This still continues to be my favourite comic book, love the story and the humour. An amazing adult series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Chew Volume 8: Family Recipes TP (Paperback)
Great series, nothing like anything else I've read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Nov. 2014
Nana Wilson (London, England) - See all my reviews
Love this comic

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Sept. 2014
cool

Chew Volume 8: Family Recipes TP
Chew Volume 8: Family Recipes TP by John Layman (Paperback - 8 April 2014)