Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2014
Before I go into depth about how much I enjoyed this comic I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the many sound arguments the previous reviewer, Sam Quixote made. I picked up East of West on a whim not knowing what to expect but knew quickly that this would be a comic of much sensationalism. Quixote correctly states that popular fiction is heavily saturated with four horsemen/apocalypse scenarios and yes, given their immediately established power making them children does not add an extra edge, also the observation regarding how ridiculously overpowered Death and his witch companions are compared to an army is also correct. For these reasons and more I respect Quixote's criticisms of East of West.
That said, I still enjoyed it personally. Foremost, I found Hickman's writing to be decidedly non-linear; given that East of West is loosely based on real historical events and then creates its own present by changing certain elements and introducing new ones (1800s Western setting with futuristic technology) the plot and therefore the character's actions are governed by a timeline where past events are revealed slowly - flashbacks are used yes but even then they don't give the whole story away. There are several instances throughout this comic where I speculated as to the precise nature of a certain element and then realised that it had already been revealed in secret earlier on and I simply had not read far enough at the time to recognize it for what it was. I like this as I personally enjoy re-reading earlier pages with new understanding.
Now as for the art, again yes gun -slinging cowboys and sword-wielding Asians are stereotypes often found in Western fiction but nevertheless they are depicted in a tastefully stylised way. The entire comic has a limited colour pallet of oranges, blacks, whites and reds - the individual characters each have their own primarily colour that contributes to either the reader's perception of them as mystical or powerful or at the very least marks them as important to the plot. Throughout there is a distinct absence of green making the Texan/desert wasteland setting more prominent.
So overall, I enjoyed this comic, however flawed and cliched it may be, I would only recommend it however to people who like apocalyptic stories and bi-polar cultures in there reading I think people searching for a more modern or articulate read should look elsewhere.
on 8 September 2015
I mostly read Marvel and DC comics and i wanted to branch out on my reading i saw East to West after buying Jason Aarons Southern bastards and thought why not ill give it a go, At first i was confused at the story it just throws you in and says "Check this s*** out" Four horseman, Death on a mission for something i dunno what, other horsemans are pissed but as you read on the plot unfolds the lightbulb clicks and i started to enjoy the book its something new i havent seen dunno about other people that 1 star dude hates it, if your looking for a futuristic western with a good story, good characters and Four horseman well three horsemans hellbent on apocalypse i wont tell ya about the other one you'll have to buy the book, i suggest you pick this up you might like it, you might hate it ya wont know till you try it!
on 20 March 2016
Fully satisfied with my purchase. I have not read through the entire TPB yet, but it the 1st volume is looking promising. The art is visually satisfactory and the plot... well, in my case - has yet to be fully revealed.

Item arrived promptly.
The item was in good condition.
The packaging was satisfactory.

Provided I enjoy the whole of the 1st volume, I will be a returning customer.
I do recommend the seller.
on 10 June 2014
i was unsure what to think when i first started this comic a lot of things take place very early on.
after a few pages though i found myself lost in this mad-max / futuristic western land.
the story is simple good vs evil .
the story is quick to the point and there is some good use of violence building up the characters early on giving us
hints of whats to come.
perfect for futuristic mad-max lovers.
on 13 April 2016
East of west is a great graphic novel which engulfs the reader into a pre apocalyptic world where chaos death and the four horsemen of the apocaplyse are roaming around.

It combines a gunslinger, demons and death! For those of you who are looking for a action packed story with a main character who pretty much kicks ass then this is the graphic novel for you!
on 10 August 2015
Wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered this comic but was glad I did as the story and art are both very good. Furthermore the story is quite unique. East of west has quickly become one of my favourite comics.
on 23 November 2015
The best comic series I have ever read remains my favourite and possibly always will be, highly recommend, original story, deep characters and stunning art work
on 18 December 2013
You know that the future's bleak when your best hope lies with Death, but that's exactly the fate facing humanity (or at least North American humanity anyway) in East of West. In 2064, following an extremely protracted Civil War, the USA is divided into seven separate mega states and the country is overrun with technology, magic and mutants. Three extremely youthful Horsemen of the Apocalypse are on a mission to bring about the end of the world but Death, in a white cowboy persona, is AWOL following a vaguely hinted at attack on him and those dear to him. While the Horsemen and a cabal of politicos plot, plan and maim, Death is on his own destructive mission while the rest of the world is caught somewhere in the middle. East of West #1 is a good opener to the series; it's a fast-paced and peculiar steampunk western that establishes the characters well and sets the scene for plenty of action and intrigue in future volumes.
on 22 October 2013
I took a bit of a chance on this, having never read any of the writer's work before. However for less than six quid, this has been a revelation. Tremendous story telling, fantastic art, all wrapped around a compelling concept. Can't wait for vol. 2.
Review originally posted on A frolic through fiction (book blog)

RATED 1.5/5 STARS

I actually didn’t want to write this review up. I don’t have much to say about it.

Because unfortunately, I didn’t like this book.

The idea about it being a Sci-Fi Western is what originally intrigued me, but if I’m honest, I don’t think there’s that much “Western” about it. There was the smallest hint of it in the beginning, and that’s about it.

And from then on I was just utterly confused.

And it’s really difficult to enjoy a story when you have only the slightest clue of what’s going on.

All I understood from the entire thing was that there was some sort of message, some strange child assassins, and two people were married.

I can’t help but wonder if I just wasn’t interested enough to begin with and didn’t pay enough attention to figure out what was happening. But even when I read back to try a catch on, I couldn’t wrap my head around it. The scenes switch too often, and considering it’s a graphic novel, I feel like this wasn’t the sort of story that could be told dominantly through drawings. I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me.

I mean, it wasn’t terrible. But I honestly considered not finishing it. I had to tell myself “Oh come on, it’s a graphic novel! It’ll only take you another 5 minutes or so to finish it.”

I do have to praise the art though. While it wasn’t my favourite style I’ve seen, the amount of detail is quite admirable, and you can tell it took a lot of time to create. Which is why I hate this being a bad review. But I need to be honest *shrugs*.

While I didn’t like this, I can definitely see the appeal. If you’re into graphic novels and can wrap you’re head around the story, it’s full of action and you might enjoy it. For me however, I just couldn’t get the hang of it. Maybe I’ll read it again in the future and suddenly realize what’s happening and enjoy it so much more. Let’s hope for that, eh?