Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2016
Star-crossed lovers Marko and Alana and their baby Hazel are still on the run in Saga, Volume 2. In this volume, we also get a chance to get to know Marko's parents and of course there is a lot of action going since Marko and Alana are still being hunted across the universe.

It has actually taken me quite a long time to read this volume. I bought it last summer and I have just dragged out reading it since I knew that as soon as I read it would I want the next volume to read. And, I have been trying to be frugal so it has been sitting on a shelf for a long time. Also, quite a lot of books have come between, I have a tendency to read more on my iPad than the books I buy...

How was the volume? I can honestly say that this is one of the best series I have ever read when it comes to graphic novels. The art and the story both rocks my socks. It's science fiction, with adventure and romance, strange creature and sweet moments. And, it totally surprising and absolutely nothing that children should read. I mean there are some pretty graphic images in the volume so letting this one or any of the other volumes lying around is probably a bad idea if you have curious children.

There are many great moments in the volume, both funny and sad ones. And, I think it's time for me to check up volume 3...
on 22 June 2013
Saga Volume 2 is a collection of issues 7-12 of Image's blockbuster Sci-Fi series. If you're looking at this and haven't read the first book then my advice would be to pick that up and give it a read. Although my review is "spoiler free" this book is entirely a continuation of Saga Volume 1 TP and therefore makes it an essential pre-read.

There is an awful lot to love here, bold colours and simple line art create a semi-retro style (maybe an early-days Byrne) yet it feels modern because of the distinct variations in palette for the different characters and locations. Considering that quite a number of panels in this book take place in space, Staples has turned what could be a boring empty void into something very visually engaging with bold blacks and reds. Something that can be quite hard to achieve in Sci-Fi books.

The writing is fun and witty. Vaughan has a great handle on his characters as the backgrounds behind some of the distinctive personalities we met in Vol 1 are explored. The dialogue is very fluid, and although the story does jump between the various intertwining arcs it's a seamless transition (a process where Staples distinctive art really supports the sudden change).

So then why only 4 stars? It's a great book, and essential reading for anyone who enjoyed the first volume. However, as someone who absolutely loved the first volume, this time round I just find myself simply enjoying the journey. Which isn't that bad a thing. Vaughan and Staples haven't increased the momentum generated in the first volume, but at the same time they haven't lost any.

So in short, this is a great continuation of the most interesting Sci-Fi series in comics right now. If you enjoyed the first one, you should read this.
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2013
Reviewing Saga vol.1 I wrote that this might be a masterpiece in the making. After reading vol.2, I'm now convinced that it's going to be. I'm not going to bother with any discussion of the content other than to say it builds perfectly from the first volume as more background is filled in, both setting and character, and more new stuff happens.

The great delight of this series is that it's impossible to guess what is going to happen next. Each turn of the page brings new surprises, new twists, and unexpected developments. This is simply the best thing that Brian K. Vaughan has written and that's saying something.

Fiona Staples art possesses a wonderful clarity and lightness of touch, providing just enough detail needed, and thereby propelling the story forward when many other artists would bring it to a halt by swamping the reader with an excess of detail.

Completely unsuitable for children, for everyone else this is a sheer delight and one which is impossible to overpraise.
on 25 June 2013
Volume one of this fantastic comic book series blew my mind! Fun characters, depth of story, dynamic twists and turns, cliff hanger/blizzar TBC, vibrant colours and a lot of 'lol' moments! Could they do it again?

Volume two (issues 7-12) lives up to it nicley! With as much energy and drive as volume one (issues 1-6), this is a fantastic continuation and lacks nothing, except maybe propeltion to the 'next level'.

But like so many graphic novels this one has not surpassed the first, though unlike most it has not lost anything and is still a fantastic read!

Saga is current, fun and many people are massive fans! Give it a go, start with volume one and enjoy volume two straight away, now that the wait is over!

Grab a cuppa, sit in that old arm chair and be transported into the world of Saga for another hour or two!
on 20 January 2015
In the second volume of Saga, we learn more about the characters and a few new people are introduced. The series is truly compelling. The universe of Saga is so different from anything I've read, but instead of being strange, it's easy to accept as the story holds together so well. I'm really beginning to feel something, and not just for the main protagonists. It's a deep, rich universe to explore... and I want more!!!
on 7 August 2013
The second volume of this superbly original sci fi family saga is even better than the first. This has to be the very best and most original book currently out there.

Vaughan's writing is spare but inspired and captures the tensions around the wider family unit, whilst not losing sight of the much bigger events happening around them.

Fiona Staple's art is sublime- capturing the essence of the characters so well without the need to resort to complex scene arrangements.

All in all the most perfect melding of script and art I've seen in many a year.

Here's to Volume 3!
on 14 April 2014
Fans of Sci-Fi & Fantasy will love Saga, and newcomers will still love it. The story deals with other-worldly plots, but with relate-able themes, including sex, marriage, loss and the concepts of war. With a good amount of well placed humor and some beautifully drawn illustrations.

Easily the best graphic novel of the last 5 years.
on 26 July 2013
If you have not read Vol. 1 of Saga go buy it now....
If you have then vol. 2 will not let you down, Smart, funny, Slick, Epic and amazing art this is an amazing body of work and I hope it keeps on producing. The thing I love the most is the fact that the characters are all likeable and i feel like I've been following there story for a lot longer than 2 volumes also even though Saga is set in a mad Alien off the wall universe there is a very normal human core to the story.... Can't wait for book 3....
Sexy, violent, sarcastic, funny, just some of the words which I have to describe the Saga series.

It is such a good looking read, I mean the main characters are all kinds of gorgeous, there is a story but some times I get distracted by how lovely it all looks.

Anyway I better say that volume 2 continues with our new parents Alana and Marko on their journey across the universe with baby Hazel, trying to avoid the bad guys and in volume 2 everyone is trying to get to the author of a book that Alana was reading before she decided to run away with Marko. Confused, it makes perfect sense really - though maybe read my review of book one too!

The bad guys are not all bad but some are a little freaky, I mean you have Prince Robot IV (human body, TV head), The Stalk (80% eight legged freak, 20% sexy woman) and plenty of other crazy looking maniacs pop up too.

Marko's ex-girlfriend appears too, teaming up with bounty hunter The Will and his best sidekick ever Lying Cat as they hunt down our star crossed lovers.

It is such a wonderful ride, Saga, full of bloody beauty, it literally is a graphic novel, very graphic so if you are squeamish it is not for you but if you are strong of stomach and full of need for a freaking great sci-fi ride then hop on to this series.
on 29 January 2016
Having read Volumes 4 & 5, I got hold of this volume and it has helped fill in the gaps of what transpired before. I enjoyed this volume a lot.

The main part of this story deals with the burgeoning romance between Marko and Alana and its consequences for both of them and Marko’s family. There are sub-plots and the writing is definitely engaging and makes the reader want more. I’ll have to read Volume 1 again sometime to fit it all together but Volume 2 works quite well on its own.

Recommended to all lovers of good stories with a touch of romance!