5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Trip!
It is quite safe to say that I have never read anything quite like Prophet before! It is the most unique, mind-boggling comicbook 'trip' I have ever taken!

Brandom Graham (along with his co-creators) has crafted a sciene fiction masterpiece which can easily sit inside the pages of Metal Hurlant.

The story starts on a future earth changed my alien...
Published 23 months ago by Mabs (Nexus Wookie)

2.0 out of 5 stars Random and baffling
Published 15 months ago by Sam Quixote

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Trip!, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)

The story starts on a future earth changed my alien influence and time. We see a strange creature stalking the arid wasteland's for food. Suddenly a digger like object emerges through the ground. Inside it is John Prophet (who is one of several clones) and he is tasked with climbing the towers of Thauili Van and re-starting the Earth Empire via contact with the G.O.D satelite.

On his way there he meets a wide array of weird and bizarre alien creatures who have taken residence on earth. The comic is short on character dialogue for the first issue, it is up to us to us the reader to discover these strange places, much like our protagonist. Some of John's encounter's are quite funny, like his strange encounter with the 'Vagina Chicken'! Or his time on the Taxa Caravan's. These characters play an important role in John Prophet's quest. Most of them look like creatures that failed their audition for Star Wars and ended up on a cool science-fiction comic! And all the better for it!

The book features artwork from Simon Roy (chapters 1-3), Farel Dalrymple (chapter 4), Brandom Graham (chapter 5), and Giannis Milonogiannnis (chapter 6) along with Emma Rios who is on writinng and drawing duties for a short at the end entitled 'Coil: a clone story'. My favourite of the mentioned artists has to be Simon Roy's work on the opening three chapters. His artwork is very evocative of Guy Davis' work and absolutely beautiful to behold. These group of artists work really well together, and Brandon has an excellent technique of integrating the various artists (differing styles) into the story's narrative.

This is what true Indie comic is about. It shows what can be accomplished when a group of good writers and artists get together to share idea's. The possibilities can be endless.

On the evidence of this first volume, I am fascinated by the possibilties of where the story can go. And judging by the brilliant last panel you can say the fun is just begining!

I am aware that this comic is based on Rob Liefield's original John Prophet comics series. But readers unfamilar with it do not need to go scouring comic shops or online outlets for back issues because this story is a whole new take on Liefield's work. Indeed the only thing that connects the old and new is the characters name. Brandon Graham had free reigns to create a whole new take on the character - and he has succeeded in leaps and bounds.

Quite simply it is one of the most awesome, brain-boggling (in a good way!) breath-taking, beautiful, bizarre comics I have read! And for a self confessed sciene-fiction geek like myself - an absolute gem!

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-Fi Paradise, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
Words like EPIC and LEGENDARY get thrown around a lot; so I'll try something else.

Prophet is a love letter to all fans of grand science fiction, if you find that the genre is all to often oversimplified and narrow in focus (take the de-evolution of star trek for example); this reads like Issac Asimov in return to Oz.

If I had to some it up, I would say it reads like a character study dripping in ideas and scope.

This is simply more grand than a TV series and higher in concept than a movie. Comics feel like the best place to tell and indeed show this kind of story.

I eagerly await the next Volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent sci-fi, 9 Oct 2012
T. Saunders - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
This book is possibly the best sci-fi comic to grace my shelves. It is fantastically imaginative space opera from a previous era. The strange alien wonder reminds me of Cordwainer Smith, but the pacing is more suitable to modern writing. This is an epic in the making. Please buy it so they'll keep writing more of it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Abstract and Action Packed, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
Prophet reminded me of old heavy metal stories with weird and violent alien worlds. More recently it is comparable with Saga for the depth of imagination on show.

I've never read anything about this character before and it's really not necessary as although you are given no back story and left to work out what is going on by yourself it is very satisfying when you do so.

There are several independent stories within this volume and the first one is by far the best with some of the others being very abstract but very interested to see where this goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great re-start for this series, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
This comic book is a fine example of how to do great things even when working with material that was not that great itself. I mean, Prophet was created by the infamous Rob Liefeld and it was a fine exponent of 90's comics... big guns, big muscles, all grimacing, no scripts... Yes, it was absymal.
What we've got here is a more "european" approach to the character and, like some other users said in their reviews, names such as Moebius come to mind inmediately. The writing is good even though the plot is minimal and the artwork is great.
At this price this is a steal. I hope they hold on this direction and I'll keep buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sublime start that falls short, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
I picked up 'Prophet' as a gamble and was not disappointed... but my praise is based almost solely on the first three-chapter 'arc' in this collection. This is terrific original stuff and I'd defy any sci-fi or fantasy fan not to be impressed by the original world building here- fans of MAR Barker will see a few similarities. Great art- I can see how others have drawn parallels with Moebius. I'd have preferred an extended run of this arc- especially as the rest of the collection becomes increasingly left field. Not to run down the remainder- but It simply didn't fire my imagination to the same degree. Five stars for the first three chapters- two for the rest.
Despite my misgivings, it's still great to see a creator trying to try something different and original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, 6 Dec 2013
C. Aranha "CBA110" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
This is certainly an original story. Strange, bizarre, unique, vast and culturally alien/different than anything I've read before. I would highly recommend if you would like to read something different than most graphic novels out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Random and baffling, 23 May 2013
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
Dammit, I was looking forward to this one! "Prophet" looks different and mysterious and it's an Image book and it's nominated for an Eisner - I was so prepared to love this book, and it ended up disappointing me. To say "Prophet" is an incoherent book is to presume it was trying to say something to start with and I'm not sure that it was. The authorial touch is so light it feels like you're not so much reading a book as you are glimpsing some strange images through a rain-streaked window at a murky puddle in the street.

Based upon a 90s comic from the fascinating mind of Rob "What's better than a sword? A sword with a GUN attached!" Liefeld, I had never read or was even aware of this series before this book. It is labelled Volume 1 though it collects issues #21-26 and no effort is made on catching the reader up with what came before it. You sink or you swim.

Some kind of tunnelling device pops out of the ground and out of it tumbles a man in a kind of space suit. He emerges onto what looks like an alien planet and begins killing random alien creatures to eat, for survival, whatever - he's been asleep a long time for some reason and has emerged for some reason to do something for some reason. Clones are involved on numerous planets in the universe. Some kind of quest. Aliens. That's about all I got from this book.

Maybe this kind of schlocky spacey weirdness is right up your alley if sci-fi is your bag but I haven't been much interested in sci-fi since I was a kid who enjoyed Frank Herbert's Dune and Asimov's Foundation. Today I look for substantial stories, something about them that's interesting, that speaks to me in some way rather than mumble pointlessly through an assortment of images flimsily labelled a story - it's like William Burroughs reciting some of his avant garde gibberish to the accompaniment of an 80s synth track.

The art is the best thing about the book. Simon Ray's work on the first three issues reminded me of Carlos Ezquerra's style by way of Guy Davis - fine artists all. The artists then change on every issue, all of whom bring something new and interesting to the table. But pretty pictures aren't enough when there's no real story going on here, nor even an attempt at characterisation. I should've known from the title page when I spotted Liefeld's name as creator of this series that things like story and character were going to be a big ask of this book, and I was right.

Lots of fighting, aliens, space stuff, all kinds of cool graphics and what appears to be an amazing story - all superficial once you begin reading Graham's laborious, over-expository prose. There's nothing to this book beyond the surface texture. Sorry Image, Brandon Graham et al., but I won't be picking up another Prophet book anytime soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the weirdness, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
It begins with a capsule landing straight into the earth, and a lone man emerging from it. Vomiting up a stimulant he uses upon himself and immediately being attacked by a bizarre creature. So far, so far away from the characters original origins (he might as well be a new character considering the Liefeld creation).
The artwork is bizarre in places but it captures the new, alien world brilliantly. The artwork encapsulates the story and enhances upon it. The world is both alien and alienating and the concepts Graham writes go hand in hand with the artwork.
The rating I must explain. I loved it but this series is similar to the french sci-fi comics which you will either love or hate.
Reading this will either spark your sci-fi geared mind or leave you cold...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP (Paperback)
The cover art, the title and the publisher of this book all gave me high hopes. This is the sort of comic I like... Having read it though, I was, like another reviewer, simply baffled. The artwork is atmospheric and mostly well done, I would say it suited the story very well, if there was any discernible story for it to suit. There's clearly more than a nod to Moebius here and it doesn't compare well. Given the number of really positive reviews, it may be that this just wasn't to my taste but I did find it incoherent and rather empty.

Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP
Prophet Volume 1: Remission TP by Brandon Graham (Paperback - 4 Sep 2012)
5.25