5.0 out of 5 stars The best original Sci-Fi title of 2012
This graphic novel collects the first 6 issues of Image's new comic "Saga". It's worth pointing out right away that the first issue is available to read for free on the "Comixology" website (give it a Google). By having a read of this you can immediately see if you're feeling either disgusted or intrigued by the "Saga" Universe.

I say "disgusted or intrigued"...
Published on 17 Oct 2012 by Lurchibles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was hoping
I thought it rather odd that Saga lists itself as for "mature" readers as it came across as a very immature work. There was swearing, sex and violence but they were all along the veins of young teen fantasy rather than anything actually dark or mysterious. The book felt like something I would have liked when I was a young teenager. It had lots of different cool looking...
Published 16 months ago by melanie strong

5.0 out of 5 stars The best original Sci-Fi title of 2012, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)

I say "disgusted or intrigued" because those are the 2 reactions that I get from people after the first issue. This is a mature comic so there is a sex scene, and it starts off with a grizzly birth scene that can be a huge turn off for some people. At least you can read the first issue for free online and see if it's something you'd like to invest in :)

There is a lot of talent behind this comic. Vaughan has had a fantastic career and has written for a number of publishers(I know him best for his work on Vertigo's "Y: The Last Man")and also wrote for the TV series "Lost". Staples is undoubtedly one of the best upcoming female artists out there, who I know only from her work on IDW's "Mystery Society". She has a very definitive broad-stroke style that I personally find to be really fluid and clear.

The Universe "Saga" takes place in is exceptionally dark and twisted. The art style does a lot to turn what could be a dark/gritty setting into something a bit brighter, when this is combined with Vaughan's dark sense of humour it really gives the impression of a comic that doesn't take itself too seriously. I personally find this to be a bit of a relief in a field where it is hard to find humorousness when surrounded with gritty adult comics focussing on making as "mean" a world as possible.

The character design is great as well. Being a completely original piece of Sci-Fi work expect to see characters of all shapes and sizes! Some have wings and horns, others have 8 legs, some don't even need legs... It's nice to see such a diverse world and after finishing this 6 issue volume you can't help but wonder where they're going to go next! With so many directions to go in the potential for this comic is limitless.

After the first 5 pages of this Volume I found myself to be instantly hooked. I worked through it in one sitting and then re-read it the following morning on my way to work. The characters have great personalities,the art style is striking and beautiful, the story is intriguing and fast paced and I cannot wait to see where we go next. Vaughan & Staples have created something completely vibrant and unique here, and if you like the first issue then I strongly recommend picking this volume up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece in the making?, 2 Nov 2012
Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Among others, writer Vaughan was responsible for the lengthy and deservedly highly praised series Y:The Last Man and the shorter and deservedly less praised (though it wasn't bad by any means) Ex Machina. On the basis of this first volume, he's written his finest work so far, if he doesn't muck it up as he did with Ex Machina and, to a far lesser extent, with the inevitably anti-climatic end to Y.

I got to the end of this book, put it down, and said aloud, "Wow!"

The plot is simple: two mismatched lovers (he's a pacificist vegetarian magic-user, she isn't) from societies at war with each other are on the run (with their newly born baby) from both sides.

But that's the only thing that's simple. She comes from Landfall, a giant planet and he comes from Wreath, Landfall's very large moon. Rather than destroy each other's worlds, both societies take the battle out into the galaxy and hire other races to help fight their enemy. Most of the races seem to have some human-like resemblance but whether or not this is far future and we're seeing a diverse and vastly diverged humanity or just aliens isn't clear. Even the use of some familiar personal names (like Hazel) may be just a means to ease the reader into the story.

The background is potentially very complicated but Vaughan skillfully (greatly aided by the attractive clean-lined quality of Staples' art) and accessibly establishes the scenario and the characters, both lead and supporting. Our two heroes are very engaging and likeable and all the supporting characters are interesting (such as the hired assassin who will kill children for pay but hates paedophiles; he also has a psychic felinoid). There are no captions and all the narrative is conveyed by dialogue except for the occasional comments by a grown up version of the baby which are woven into the panels in which they occur rather than the conventional box and this works really well.

This isn't kids stuff. It if was a DVD it'd be rated 18 for explicit scenes of a sexual nature, frequent use of (bad) language, nudity, and graphic violence. It's also often funny and, just as often, touching.

The potential of this series is enormous and, from the title, we're in for a long run.

Side note for Science Fiction buffs: this is wide-screen Baroque SF at its best. Resist that come on if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy Graphic Novel in the Science Fiction/Fantasy Genre, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Saga was flagged up to me as a novel I might find interesting based on my previous purchases. I read the comments posted here by other reviewers and decided that I had to try this out for myself.

This is a decision I have not regretted. The characters are beautifully drawn and you quickly grow to care for the main characters' well being. There are enough odd creatures to keep you interested if you are coming more from a Fantasy background.

The novel is rated Mature which is quite appropriate even though there is really only a couple of sequences where being a little older is advisable. Younger readers might not fully understand what is going on, which is just as well, but they should nevertheless not be exposed to the those sequences (I'm thinking of the first time Prince IV appears in the novel).

I can definitely recommend Saga to anyone who likes graphic novels on the Science Fiction and/or Fantasy theme. I for one is looking forward to the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Draw droppers, hysterical encounters, curious side notes, dangerous truths and a magical universe devastated by war..., 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Draw droppers, hysterical encounters, curious side notes, dangerous truths and a magical universe devastated by war that neither side saw start in their generation...

Two ex-soldiers come lovers start out in a life together, from opposite sides of the conflict, their union and child mean that the world is changing. Because of this everyone wants their message of hope and the symbol they represent to be destroyed, their new born child.

Lurchibles, the top reviewer for this product, my brother and the guy that got me into comics makes a great point when he points out 'that the first issue is available to read for free on the "Comixology" website (give it a Google). By having a read of this you can immediately see if you're feeling either disgusted or intrigued by the "Saga" Universe.' I would advise ALL to do this, simply because the first issue is true to the progression of the story and the feel of the rest of this collected issue.

When people see the front cover they often ask me, 'What the heck is that?', all I can simply say is it is a dark masterpiece with a light and drawing feel that WILL suck you in. Simple to follow with a clear story, cliff-hangers and a mismatch of magic, weapons, animals, bounty hunters, humans and TV faced royalty, this is a superb comic, quite possibly the best I have ever read.

*Warning* - There are sex scenes within the comic, nothing brutal but the younger readers should be aware before they stumble upon them.

For those who want to collect, I would advise trying to get hold of first prints of the individual comics now, although they cost quite a bit they will only go up in value as the story progresses and more and more people catch onto it.

Give the 'Saga' universe a whirl and you may just find a balance that you love with a story that has you hanging upon it's every turn.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
This was amazing. Instantly this graphic novel captured my attention and held it for the entire 40 mins I was reading this. It's a great storyline which is set in a world where people from Planet Landfall and people from Satellite Wreath are always at war with one another, and it tells the story of a couple (kind of like Romeo and Juliet) where each person is from the opposite side. They are lovers and you learn more about them as the story goes on, and you also get to see what is happening to them now that their affair has been uncovered.

It's told from the POV of their young baby (who is born right at the start) and it's essentially the story of her life. There are all sorts of different planets, places, storylines and races, but it's a very easy story to follow and instantly be hooked into. I have to say it's certainly one of the best and most interesting ideas for a Graphic Novel that I've read and I whizzed through it really enjoying it.

I loved seeing all the different planets and races as I think that they were all individual and they all made an impression on me. I enjoyed the winged race of Alana as they were super pretty (and pretty deadly) and their design was probably my favourite. The robot race was a cool one which felt very desensitised and that seemed to fit with their personality. I also liked Marko's horned race as they seemed to be pretty bad-ass.

The characters I really liked because although this is not a huge book you really get to see each individual and learn a bit about them and how they react to certain situations. Alana was a very determined and ruthless character who was certainly my favourite for her sheer 'bad-assery'! I think that Marko was a bit of a weak character most of the time as he doesn't often assert himself against her, but as soon as she or the baby were threatened he turned into a wicked enemy and I loved the fight scenes with him!

On the whole this was SO much better than I had expected it to be. The artwork was great and I loved the colours too, I think that this is more driven by the story than the art, but it's great that the art really enhances the story. I am certainly going to buy the next volume asap and start that soon, and I really look forward to it as this was such a great, fast and fun read :) Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ongoing series!, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
I don't want to really say anything in this review except that the art is beautiful, the script is comical, emotional and overall exceptional, and the world building is fantastic! Go into this comic with a clean slate, not knowing anything about it except that you know it will be great. Hey, even the opening page is one of the best series openers I have ever read. Buy, buy buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saga #1, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Marko (vegetarian, recent pacifist and practitioner of generally effective magic) and Alana (winged, gun lover, enjoys the taste of her own breast milk) used to be on opposite sides of an interstellar conflict but now they’re in love and on the run from their former factions. They’re also new parents trying to keep their baby alive on a hostile planet in the most adverse of circumstances. Saga is an excellent sci-fi comic written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples and this volume collects the first six issues in the on-going series. The universe of Saga is dark, twisted and utterly compelling – this is one of the best comics that I’ve read in ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xmas present, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
This book was bought as a Christmas present, recipient was pleased with the present, nothing more to say about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars gesamtkunstwerk!!!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
I bought this graphic novel after it being highly recommended by a friend. He had bought the 1st editions and was amazed by the illustrations. I looked at one of the chapter covers (a babies hand reaching out to touch an arachnid-esque claw) and was sufficiently impressed to purchase my own copy.

Without giving too much away, the story centres around Alana and Marko, two lovers from different planets whose people are at war with one another.

I must say that after devouring this book in an hour, I was left craving more and instantly pre ordered book 2. Vaughn's writing style is fluid, exciting and engaging. In my opinion a lot better than Y:The last man and Ex-Machina. The characters are multi dimensional and weave in and out of the plot, in a similar way to a Tarantino flick. The illustrations... absolutely breathtaking. Staples is truly a talent. Her compositional sense and visual perspective is fresh and original and compliments the script in every way. This graphic novel is a complete work of art and the most enjoyable sci-fi read I've had since 'Transmetropolitan'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best comic of the last few years, 4 May 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
After reading some of Brian K Vaughans previous work and hearing lots of critical praise about Saga I thought I would give it a try. I was not disappointed a truly great comic book great art by Fiona Staples just another reason is the best publishers in the industry at present

Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series))
Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) by Brian K Vaughan (Paperback - 23 Oct 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available