5.0 out of 5 stars The best original Sci-Fi title of 2012
This graphic novel collects the first 6 issues of Image's new comic "Saga". It's worth pointing out right away that the first issue is available to read for free on the "Comixology" website (give it a Google). By having a read of this you can immediately see if you're feeling either disgusted or intrigued by the "Saga" Universe.

I say "disgusted or intrigued"...
Published 22 months ago by Lurchibles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was hoping
I thought it rather odd that Saga lists itself as for "mature" readers as it came across as a very immature work. There was swearing, sex and violence but they were all along the veins of young teen fantasy rather than anything actually dark or mysterious. The book felt like something I would have liked when I was a young teenager. It had lots of different cool looking...
Published 12 months ago by melanie strong

5.0 out of 5 stars The best original Sci-Fi title of 2012, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)

I say "disgusted or intrigued" because those are the 2 reactions that I get from people after the first issue. This is a mature comic so there is a sex scene, and it starts off with a grizzly birth scene that can be a huge turn off for some people. At least you can read the first issue for free online and see if it's something you'd like to invest in :)

There is a lot of talent behind this comic. Vaughan has had a fantastic career and has written for a number of publishers(I know him best for his work on Vertigo's "Y: The Last Man")and also wrote for the TV series "Lost". Staples is undoubtedly one of the best upcoming female artists out there, who I know only from her work on IDW's "Mystery Society". She has a very definitive broad-stroke style that I personally find to be really fluid and clear.

The Universe "Saga" takes place in is exceptionally dark and twisted. The art style does a lot to turn what could be a dark/gritty setting into something a bit brighter, when this is combined with Vaughan's dark sense of humour it really gives the impression of a comic that doesn't take itself too seriously. I personally find this to be a bit of a relief in a field where it is hard to find humorousness when surrounded with gritty adult comics focussing on making as "mean" a world as possible.

The character design is great as well. Being a completely original piece of Sci-Fi work expect to see characters of all shapes and sizes! Some have wings and horns, others have 8 legs, some don't even need legs... It's nice to see such a diverse world and after finishing this 6 issue volume you can't help but wonder where they're going to go next! With so many directions to go in the potential for this comic is limitless.

After the first 5 pages of this Volume I found myself to be instantly hooked. I worked through it in one sitting and then re-read it the following morning on my way to work. The characters have great personalities,the art style is striking and beautiful, the story is intriguing and fast paced and I cannot wait to see where we go next. Vaughan & Staples have created something completely vibrant and unique here, and if you like the first issue then I strongly recommend picking this volume up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece in the making?, 2 Nov 2012
Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Among others, writer Vaughan was responsible for the lengthy and deservedly highly praised series Y:The Last Man and the shorter and deservedly less praised (though it wasn't bad by any means) Ex Machina. On the basis of this first volume, he's written his finest work so far, if he doesn't muck it up as he did with Ex Machina and, to a far lesser extent, with the inevitably anti-climatic end to Y.

I got to the end of this book, put it down, and said aloud, "Wow!"

The plot is simple: two mismatched lovers (he's a pacificist vegetarian magic-user, she isn't) from societies at war with each other are on the run (with their newly born baby) from both sides.

But that's the only thing that's simple. She comes from Landfall, a giant planet and he comes from Wreath, Landfall's very large moon. Rather than destroy each other's worlds, both societies take the battle out into the galaxy and hire other races to help fight their enemy. Most of the races seem to have some human-like resemblance but whether or not this is far future and we're seeing a diverse and vastly diverged humanity or just aliens isn't clear. Even the use of some familiar personal names (like Hazel) may be just a means to ease the reader into the story.

The background is potentially very complicated but Vaughan skillfully (greatly aided by the attractive clean-lined quality of Staples' art) and accessibly establishes the scenario and the characters, both lead and supporting. Our two heroes are very engaging and likeable and all the supporting characters are interesting (such as the hired assassin who will kill children for pay but hates paedophiles; he also has a psychic felinoid). There are no captions and all the narrative is conveyed by dialogue except for the occasional comments by a grown up version of the baby which are woven into the panels in which they occur rather than the conventional box and this works really well.

This isn't kids stuff. It if was a DVD it'd be rated 18 for explicit scenes of a sexual nature, frequent use of (bad) language, nudity, and graphic violence. It's also often funny and, just as often, touching.

The potential of this series is enormous and, from the title, we're in for a long run.

Side note for Science Fiction buffs: this is wide-screen Baroque SF at its best. Resist that come on if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy Graphic Novel in the Science Fiction/Fantasy Genre, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Saga was flagged up to me as a novel I might find interesting based on my previous purchases. I read the comments posted here by other reviewers and decided that I had to try this out for myself.

This is a decision I have not regretted. The characters are beautifully drawn and you quickly grow to care for the main characters' well being. There are enough odd creatures to keep you interested if you are coming more from a Fantasy background.

The novel is rated Mature which is quite appropriate even though there is really only a couple of sequences where being a little older is advisable. Younger readers might not fully understand what is going on, which is just as well, but they should nevertheless not be exposed to the those sequences (I'm thinking of the first time Prince IV appears in the novel).

I can definitely recommend Saga to anyone who likes graphic novels on the Science Fiction and/or Fantasy theme. I for one is looking forward to the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Draw droppers, hysterical encounters, curious side notes, dangerous truths and a magical universe devastated by war..., 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Draw droppers, hysterical encounters, curious side notes, dangerous truths and a magical universe devastated by war that neither side saw start in their generation...

Two ex-soldiers come lovers start out in a life together, from opposite sides of the conflict, their union and child mean that the world is changing. Because of this everyone wants their message of hope and the symbol they represent to be destroyed, their new born child.

Lurchibles, the top reviewer for this product, my brother and the guy that got me into comics makes a great point when he points out 'that the first issue is available to read for free on the "Comixology" website (give it a Google). By having a read of this you can immediately see if you're feeling either disgusted or intrigued by the "Saga" Universe.' I would advise ALL to do this, simply because the first issue is true to the progression of the story and the feel of the rest of this collected issue.

When people see the front cover they often ask me, 'What the heck is that?', all I can simply say is it is a dark masterpiece with a light and drawing feel that WILL suck you in. Simple to follow with a clear story, cliff-hangers and a mismatch of magic, weapons, animals, bounty hunters, humans and TV faced royalty, this is a superb comic, quite possibly the best I have ever read.

*Warning* - There are sex scenes within the comic, nothing brutal but the younger readers should be aware before they stumble upon them.

For those who want to collect, I would advise trying to get hold of first prints of the individual comics now, although they cost quite a bit they will only go up in value as the story progresses and more and more people catch onto it.

Give the 'Saga' universe a whirl and you may just find a balance that you love with a story that has you hanging upon it's every turn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saga #1, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
Marko (vegetarian, recent pacifist and practitioner of generally effective magic) and Alana (winged, gun lover, enjoys the taste of her own breast milk) used to be on opposite sides of an interstellar conflict but now they’re in love and on the run from their former factions. They’re also new parents trying to keep their baby alive on a hostile planet in the most adverse of circumstances. Saga is an excellent sci-fi comic written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples and this volume collects the first six issues in the on-going series. The universe of Saga is dark, twisted and utterly compelling – this is one of the best comics that I’ve read in ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xmas present, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
This book was bought as a Christmas present, recipient was pleased with the present, nothing more to say about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars gesamtkunstwerk!!!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
I bought this graphic novel after it being highly recommended by a friend. He had bought the 1st editions and was amazed by the illustrations. I looked at one of the chapter covers (a babies hand reaching out to touch an arachnid-esque claw) and was sufficiently impressed to purchase my own copy.

Without giving too much away, the story centres around Alana and Marko, two lovers from different planets whose people are at war with one another.

I must say that after devouring this book in an hour, I was left craving more and instantly pre ordered book 2. Vaughn's writing style is fluid, exciting and engaging. In my opinion a lot better than Y:The last man and Ex-Machina. The characters are multi dimensional and weave in and out of the plot, in a similar way to a Tarantino flick. The illustrations... absolutely breathtaking. Staples is truly a talent. Her compositional sense and visual perspective is fresh and original and compliments the script in every way. This graphic novel is a complete work of art and the most enjoyable sci-fi read I've had since 'Transmetropolitan'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best comic of the last few years, 4 May 2013
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
After reading some of Brian K Vaughans previous work and hearing lots of critical praise about Saga I thought I would give it a try. I was not disappointed a truly great comic book great art by Fiona Staples just another reason is the best publishers in the industry at present

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
I was totally blown away by this title! Its like Star Wars for grown ups, and the characters - my god! In which other comic can you find characters as awesome and terrifying as The Stalk? Or cool and brooding as The Will? Or tree's that turn into rocket ships? Or a robot with erectile dysfunction?

It was such a cool read. And as I sit here right now, there's only one thought in my head and that is the question of when I will get to read the next volume, because upon finishing I wanted more. I almost dreaded to see it finish. So enthralled was I, immersed in the breath-taking universe that Vaughan had created.

The story revolves around two character's, Alana and Marko two soldiers from an opposite side of a galactic war between the planet 'Landfall' and it's moon 'Wreath' . Contrary to their races hostility to one another - they fall in love. They conceive a baby daughter together called Hazel. But these are dangerous times, and bringing a fragile thing as this new life into the world does not go unnoticed. Soon Freelancer's (Bounty hunters/ assasins) and the Landfall military, lead by Robot Prince IV are on their trail.

Brian K Vaughan has created a stunning grown up science-fiction epic; his writing is very witty, and heartfelt aswell. You know you are witnessing something special when you start caring for the characters in the story, and worried about what happens to them. He is my favourite writer right now alongside Brandon Graham. I love his prior works such as Y The Last Man - it is one of the best comic series of recent memory. And Pride of Baghdad was a joy to read; stunning and heartbreaking in the same breadth. But with Saga he has started something very special indeed.

But the reason why Saga is such a revelation is due to Fiona Staples stunning artwork; it is absolutely superb. It is a joy to behold. Her style is very original, and her lettering is beautiful too - especially Hazel's account. Her cover art for each of the six issues in this volume are just gorgeous to look at and it is amazing to think she is responsible for everything, not only interior artwork but the covers and the lettering too. Holding this volume in my hand, I felt I was in possession of something very special indeed.

Aswell as Stapleton's artwork, another key reason why Saga is such a joy to read (as well as our protagonists journey), is all the weird and wonderful characters on show, chief among them being 'The Stalk'. She is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I almost had a heart attack when I turned the page and saw her standing there! But that was nothing compared to what was underneath that black dress. Another freelancer The Will was another excellent creation - he's like a brooding, bald Han Solo with a cat instead of Chewie - a cat which can tell if you're lying. Or the odd sex club hostesses we meet on Sextillion, resembling a giant head on a pair of legs! Or the TV headed robot's - and whats more, a 'Royal' robot with erectile dysfunction! These creations make Saga such a unique and fascinating read.

Image Comics are definitely on the ascendency right now - with Elephantmen, Prophet and now Saga - it has never been a better time to be a science fiction/ comic book fan than right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than people told me it would be!, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) (Paperback)
I'm not particularly experienced when it comes to the consumption of graphic novels, but I kept hearing very high praise about Saga to the point where I HAD to get it.

I'm glad I did.

The artwork is simply fantastic and the quality of the writing strikes a wonderful balance between organic, witty, ethereal and addictive. The use of the child as a sometime narrator is a deft touch. The story is mystical, yet quite adult in its delivery. It feels 'real', which is impressive in a fictitious universe that includes talking cats and spaceships made out of trees.

I'm hooked already and cant wait for more!

Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series))
Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series)) by Brian K Vaughan (Paperback - 23 Oct 2012)
6.00