5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and moving
I really, really liked this book. It's a fantastic example of a comic that could appeal to pretty much anybody - it's funny and moving, it features a cast of great characters and it deals with themes that will resonate with any reader. It's also a great example of kinetic, expressive visual storytelling that could only work as a comic.

You'll find no shortage...
Published on 31 May 2009 by Ian Gilroy

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked the drawings & theme
I liked the drawings and themes but I think - or I felt- a little old for this and wondered if it was for teenagers? It took a while to get a grasp on the story but the images are quirky enough to hold the gaze until then.
It's not a novel that I'll keep as I don't think I'd get much out of it on a second read like other novels- but it's unfair to compare it to the...
Published 5 months ago by Dudley

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and moving, 31 May 2009
Ian Gilroy (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)

You'll find no shortage of positive reviews out there for this series but I'd encourage you to avoid them, for risk of spoilers, and just go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As near as perfect, 30 Nov 2010
E. McDonnell - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
Tragic and funny and delivering a wonderful ending with genuine emotional depth. One of the best comics I've read in quite some time and, potentially, a great introduction to the medium for a new reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars i (love) kill giants, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
i ve read alot of graphic novels,and not one has come close to having the effect on me that i kill giants had.Simply a must read.

art- 10/10

story- 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Greatest Comic Books Of 2009, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
This is a short but sweet review, to put it simply you owe it to yourself to read this book. I'm not going to spoil the plot but this is one of the greatest most life affirming comics I have ever read. The artwork is also superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars "We're stronger than we think", 25 Jun 2012
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
SPOILERS

Barbara is a pretty headstrong young high school girl who loves Dungeons and Dragons, dislikes school, isn't interested in friends or other people, and is obsessed with giants - more accurately, killing giants. But in our everyday world, is Barbara just a weird kid because we all know giants aren't real. Aren't they...

The most important thing potential readers to this book should understand that it's not a fantasy book (though it contains fantasy elements) and is set in our world, the "real world", and that it's far deeper than you'd expect from the manga artwork, macho title, and emo-kid main character. In fact, replace "giant" with "cancer" and you've basically got it.

I had such a strong emotional reaction to this book, partly because I knew nothing about it and it unexpectedly caught me off balance, but also because I identified so strongly with Barbara. When I was 12/13 my mum was diagnosed with cancer too and that age is already such a turbulent one that throwing into the mix the hitherto unthinkable possibility of losing your mum suddenly becoming an all-too real inevitability is really hard to deal with. And like Barbara I was also getting my a** kicked on a regular basis by a bully and I found solace not in D&D but in a similar board game called Warhammer (all of which changed within a couple of years, for the better).

Writer Joe Kelly and artist JM Ken Nimura bring pathos and heart in portraying Barbara's battle against her own demons through some pretty intense fantasy sequences with the titular giants and by the penultimate chapter when Barbara faces down the Titan I was bawling my eyes out. This comic book has bags of heart and soul in its pages, I can't believe it took me this long to pick it up.

Kelly and Nimura tell a difficult story well through an ingenious metaphor of fantasy and the really likeable character of Barbara. Through her inspiring courage and defiance in the face of the void she provides an admirable role model for teens going through parental loss and give them hope for a lighter future. The book goes beyond entertainment and art to illustrate raw human emotion vividly and memorably on the page. "I Kill Giants" is an unforgettable masterpiece that'll touch your spirit and deserves to transcend the audience of comics readers to readers in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this!, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
This is a great story about love , pain, imagination , monsters , suffering. I love this graphic novel !

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing emotive story, 12 Jun 2011
zombielover "perpetual student" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
I Kill Giants is the story of a loner at school escaping in to a fantasy world. But all is not as it seems with Barbara, and Barbara is not what they think she seems to the children at school that torment her, her family or her only friend.

Think Pan's Labyrinth [DVD] [2006] (with less mucking around and more D&D) mashed with Franklyn [DVD] [2008] for the fantasy / reality collision and you'll probably be about there, though the quality of the storytelling in "I Kill Giants" is far superior to anything the film Franklyn produced (despite my fervently wishing it otherwise). I don't want to spoil too much of the plot, but I found Barbara easy to sympathise with - her isolation is illustrated well, but so is her overall journey and it has a truly saddening and yet heartwarming finale.

The artwork in this is edgy at times, with the action a little blurred and hard to follow - but then so is the main protagonist so if that was the intention of the artwork, then I got it.

There is a great section at the end of the book with concept sketches and walkthroughs of the concept from both Joe Kelly and JM Ken Nimura.

The binding and print quality of this is also excellent, so I would expect it to have a decent shelf life, though I may still get the I Kill Giants Titan Edition anyway, as I have the hardcover editions of all the other graphic novels I love, and the Titan edition of this is still not too expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 19 April 2011
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
I Kill Giants moved me and inspired so much that I have to share it. One of the best that i have read in a long time!
Touching story about an "ordinary" middle school girl dealing with the sourness of life.
Great story and cool art.
Get it now and I promiss u wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and mesmirising., 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
I got this book today and read it in an hour, and was absolutely blown away by, it's humour, which in turn built up the characters, which in turn built up the drama which in turn hooked me to this gem. I can not recommend this enough, it is a joy to read, with a earnest and heartfelt message. It is something else entirely, and i'm sure anyone who gives it a chance will fall in love with the characters and the story.

The art is stunning, crafting some fantastic looking characters to spark the imagination. Do not miss out on this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: I Kill Giants (Paperback)
A perfect, heartwarming, poignant little graphic novel that will make you smile, think and possibly wipe a tear or two away at the end.
Absolute top draw work from both author and artist, Thank you for giving us this.

I Kill Giants
I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (Paperback - 26 May 2009)
Used & New from: 10.00